Advice on flat pedals for new bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Re: Advice on flat pedals for new bike?

Post by PH »

Slothman wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 6:36am So with the right pedals, I may not need a super rigid soled cycling/MTB shoe, perhaps just a standard (albeit robust) pair of trainers?
That's basically it. You may find there's shoe/pedal combinations that suit you best, of those I've tried I prefer the Specialized 2Fo shoes, but then I liked Specialized BG shoes when I used to ride SPD's. So if I'm out for a days riding, it's those I'll wear, however if I'm popping out on the bike for some other reason (Which makes up most of my miles) I'll stay in whatever I'm wearing.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

My riding will all be for fitness and getting out into the countryside.
No shopping or commuting, no club/speed riding either though and mainly B roads/country lanes etc.
PH

Post by PH »

Slothman wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 11:42am My riding will all be for fitness and getting out into the countryside.
No shopping or commuting, no club/speed riding either though and mainly B roads/country lanes etc.
Once you've decided on the pedals, I'd start with using the most suitable looking shoes you already have. If after a few rides you think they can be improved upon, then there's plenty of choice.
Alan244

Post by Alan244 »

I have used DMR V12's for years and wouldnt change as they are reliable and feel comfortable
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

My cheapo Stolen Thermalite are flat but with little knobble things. These keep any normal type of trainer firmly engaged and feels just like SPDs until you lift your feet off. There's enough surface area so you don't need stiff soles and they won't cut into your shoes which the old cage type did. Nice bright colours too!

https://capture.dropbox.com/ZTlPN5oLlN44xWYQ
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Nukeproof Neutrons: https://nukeproof.com/products/neutron- ... lat-pedals. The bearings in them are pretty good - the bearings in mine still feel good after quite a bit of use.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi, I have to agree with some of the observations up thread regarding wider, larger, MTB style flat pedals.
I used to use SPDs almost exclusively; single sided Shimano Road ones and the double sided MTB ones. Over the last 2–3 years I have mostly moved to the Wellgo V8 copies. Really good value, long lasting and serviceable.
This is for commuting, touring, and audax style day rides. Even gravel/rough stuff rides. The shoes I wear are by the Spanish brand Camper. Grip is excellent, stiffness fine, but aesthetically they really don’t go with lycra shorts! Too much of a mismatch.
The only pair of trainers I have are running shoes, and personally I don’t find they work well with the Wellgo pedals, (or any pedals), as the sole is too thick, soft and spongy. But your mileage may vary.

Best wishes,

Luke
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

In all honesty, if it's flats for general road use then a pedal is pretty much a pedal? :)

I have can what only be described as wellgo v8 copy copies that came as the cheap in box pedals with my recent mtb and have replaced the actual v8 copies on the town/pub bike and they're perfectly serviceable for general use.

The entire platform is cast, including the pins (rather than genuine steel removable ones) so the grip is definitely a little compromised, wouldn't want to use them for mtb (though prefer spd there anyway) but it's fine for about town, rain or shine, arguably better as a little less destructive on soles!

Inside they seem identical, excepting the lack of a notched washer under the lock nut making preload adjustment trickier. Otherwise cup and cones both sides and can be stuffed full of grease so will last years.

Sole stiffness is simply a trade off between efficiency and grip/feel but if cycling for fitness is the goal is worrying over a few watts really a concern? Whatever you get, more likely to keep doing it if it's comfortable/enjoyable!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop