lidl

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
softpedal

lidl

Post by softpedal »

Lidl have got cycle stuff on sale from 26th Feb. Need to be careful about quality but often some reasonble stuff at fantastic prices.
Your never to old to become younger
meic

Post by meic »

Tights and mitts were always good buys
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bought a pair of their SPD shoes last year. Holding up well and very comfortable. Also got some of the panniers a couple of years ago. Totally waterproof and used for some long distance camping trips without problems.
A lot of their stuff is made to German TUV standards and comes with a 3 year warranty...
fossil

Post by fossil »

£3.90 for a 20 function cycle pooter , inc...calorie count, fat burner function, thermometer (°C/°F) and much more

well if i'de seen that on tuesday evening i would'nt have paid out £80 on some naff cateye V2c :roll: ( jokeing )

i orderd the cat to replace the tesco unit the mother-in-law got me for cristmass, that told me my max speed was 77 mph and i wasn't going down a big hill at the time
random37

Post by random37 »

I bought one of their waterproof jackets, it's great for touring and comes in sizing for the larger gentleman. Not as good as my Goretex coat, but for 1/10 of the price you can't complain.
Si

Post by Si »

fossil wrote:£3.90 for a 20 function cycle pooter , inc...calorie count, fat burner function, thermometer (°C/°F) and much more

my lidl puter lasted about a month, although that was a wireless one :cry:
noonoosdad

Post by noonoosdad »

:D Bought a pair of their Cycling Shoes last year - Absolutely brilliant and still going strong apart from the laces which I had to replace.....but for under £20 a pair one cannot really complain.
I will be purchasing a spare pair as with these 'Credit Crunch' times, no one knows which company will go bust next - hopefully, the likes of Lidl and Aldi will keep on going.
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
Si

Post by Si »

I got one of their pannier last year - looks similar to the ones in this sale. I've found it to be very good, especially as it was only a tenner. Although this time they seem to have increased in price by over 10%!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The shoes sold out very quickly last time - I think they were £14.99 - and then appeared on EBay fro £30 a pair.
Our local Aldi had Beto track pumps, complete with gauge, at £2.99. I bought one just before a guy loaded a trolley with the entire stock - guess they were bound for ebay or maybe he had a bike shop.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Avoid the insualted water bottles, they only take aboout half the capacity of the external bottle and they still let things cool. tried a cup of tea from home to the start of an event 10 miles away. It was't even a cool day tea The tea wasn't quite cold but it was difficult to detect any warmth left in it. Where as my Aluminium insualted cup would have kept it warm enough to drink for about an hour. Shame it doesn't fit the bottle holder.

I have a pair of the shoes from 2 years ago. Useful for about town. but too flexible for serious riding in my opinion
NUKe

Post by Hector's House »

Cheers for the heads up!

Good news is, there's a lidl next to my placement! :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Can certainly recommend the SPD shoes.
I bought a pair 2 years ago, which I still use, and bought a spare pair last year. (haven't worn them yet).
I have other various peices of their kit but watch out for sizing.
I have had a couple of their helmets, one of which was tested last December. Did it's job!
The shorts perhaps also need to be held up to the light! :oops: :shock: :lol:

Edit = £14.99 last year.
Last edited by cycleruk on 20 Feb 2009, 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Yep, I've got a pair of two-year-old shoes which I've worn most days commuting since, and they're still going strong. Recommended, except in Nottingham, where I advise you not to buy any in a size ten. They will no doubt be unsuitable for you :wink: .

I have the panniers too, with mixed results. The bags are great - fully waterproof and no complaints - but all four hooks snapped off one day early when I bumped the bike down a 5" kerb once with panniers full of shopping. I accept that may be a stringent test, but I was very glad it had happened just outside my house, not in, say, Cape Wrath. A set of Ortleib hooks (c. £20 for four) has sorted that problem, but they're no longer quite the bargain they started out as...
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Must admit I thought the idea of plastic pannier hooks a bit dubious so I made some new ones out of stainless steel.
Si

Post by Si »

Mine have been OK so far - lugging large amounts of large books on bad roads.

Sticking on the pannier has also shown no signs of wear.