Using a ebike battery as a mains power supply

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
brucelee

Using a ebike battery as a mains power supply

Post by brucelee »

Hi all,

I've a couple of 12Ah 36v Yose power batteries and was looking for a contingency plan just in case the utility companies can't do their math right (know what I mean?). Seems to me it would have occurred to a few other people and there might already be a thread some where... I'm aware of stuff like this :

WGE 36V DC Power Inverter To 220V AC Converter, AC Socket Car Inverter,500W : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo but was thinking it looks a bit iffy with a dc-dc converter on the front end. Also concerned about how it would handle start up current on things like fridges and central heating pumps. Anyone mulled this one over?

Cheers,

Bruce.
Jdsk

Re: Using a ebike battery as a mains power supply

Post by Jdsk »

There's a lot of this sort of stuff in the world of caravans. And presumably of small boats. And of survivalists.

Have you done any calculations of how long they would run essential domestic appliances?

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Besides emergency lighting, which might be better done using low voltage LED lamps anyway, are you going to be able to run anything worthwhile for any worthwhile duration from a battery with a capacity that low?
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

Nearholmer wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 9:06pm Besides emergency lighting, which might be better done using low voltage LED lamps anyway, are you going to be able to run anything worthwhile for any worthwhile duration from a battery with a capacity that low?
432Wh, fridge/freezer (70W) 6 hrs continuously guessing this would be enough for a couple of days in practice,
Central heating (~40W) 10 hrs continuously
Worst case they're talking about rolling blackouts of 3hrs, with two bats this would easily cover Heating, refrigeration and TV of course.
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 8:57pm There's a lot of this sort of stuff in the world of caravans. And presumably of small boats. And of survivalists.
I guessing these guys use 12/24v, there's plenty of that about but not for 36v.
irc

Post by irc »

I thought briefly about a backup for CH etc but decided the cost and hassle wasn't worth it.

Preparation we have done is.
Assume it may be longer than 3 hours
Already have battery radio.
Already have power bank for keeping phone charged.
Worth carrying minimum cash in case shop payment systems down but they are taking cash.
Head torches placed in easy to find places up and downstairs.
Two £5 LED lamps bought from Asda
Don't let car tank go too close to empty.

That's it. House will cool down but we have duvets and sleeping bags etc
Assuming blackouts happen during cold windless spell keep a carton of milk outside the back door to reduce the times fridge is opened.
We have a gas hob so cooking and tea and coffee making will continue.
rjb

Post by rjb »

This thought crossed my mind too. I could use my 36v. 12amphr (approx 1/2 kw hour,) bike battery as a power wall with my solar PV. I would need a new hybrid inverter to charge the battery from the solar panels and an inverter to connect the battery to the mains.
Or even just charge up the battery and use an inverter to power stuff locally, anything I could plug in.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Would lead acid car batteries not be a much more commercially viable option? In case of emergency?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I think that the idea was opportunistic... the eBike batteries are already paid for and available.

Jonathan
hemo

Post by hemo »

Not forgetting any inverter conversion from 36v to 240v will likley lose 15% capacity during the process so in reality one is talking 370wh.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

brucelee wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 9:48pm Central heating (~40W) 10 hrs continuously
My Worcester Bosch 28 CDi uses 105W peak,1W on standby, and 6W mean.
irc wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 7:16pm I thought briefly about a backup for CH etc but decided the cost and hassle wasn't worth it.
I've got all the bits on my Amazon wish list, but I dare say they'll be sold out within minutes of the first power cut. An inverter, SLA, & charger costing £66 will give me ~10 hours of heating. A caravan/boat battery costs a bit more than it's worth.
Dingdong wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 7:34am Would lead acid car batteries not be a much more commercially viable option? In case of emergency?
They're not designed for deep discharge, a caravan/boat battery would be more suitable.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche