A Cycling AA or RAC

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
revjem

A Cycling AA or RAC

Post by revjem »

Hello,
I wonder if anyone might perhaps assist me.
I am a retired vicar approaching 70yrs old who is guardian to my 11yrs old autistic grandson. Recently purchased a new bike for him but due to my arthritis I have had to buy an adult tricycle. We had a bit of a mechanical problem recently which was resolved by some assistance after a number of phone calls but I simply wondered if there was a good, reliable and comprehensive cycling equivalent to the RAC or the AA.
It would be super if someone could point me in the right direction.
Kind regards,
Rev John
[XAP]Bob

Re: A Cycling AA or RAC

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where are you based? Might be worth searching for a local "mobile mechanic".
I know we have at least one local mechanic who offers a recovery service.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

At one time the CTC handbook had the numbers of a few members who were willing to provide assistance. That was over 20 years ago though, dunno about now.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

There was this thread recently on the subject:

viewtopic.php?t=153114

I think the general consensus was that you'd be better off just phoning a taxi to get you home or at least to a place of relative comfort / safety. Noting of course that an adult tricycle may take a bit of wrangling to fit into anything other than a van!
revjem

Post by revjem »

Really appreciate the responses, very helpful thank you so much.
I did find three offerings on line but the cover is very limited both in what they will do and with only two call outs in a calendar year.
I guess it’s back to the drawing board.
I do though appreciate the input.
BTW, you are spot on that a trike would and a taxi would be a bridge too far. Rev John
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Bicycle Recovery
https://www.eta.co.uk/bicycle-insurance/cycle-rescue/

Heard of them but never used them so can't comment on their capabilities or whether they cover trikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

NickWi wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 5:40pm Bicycle Recovery

Heard of them but never used them so can't comment on their capabilities or whether they cover trikes.
Useful to know about the company
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
drossall

Post by drossall »

The ETA mentioned above were my first thought, although apparently the Halfords-branded cover includes bikes (probably only if you buy their motoring cover - I haven't checked). But generally the points made above are good:
https://www.halfordsbreakdowncover.com/

Of course, the question is the wrong way around. The RAC and AA were formed when a court case decided that motorists could not join the already-extant CTC, and receive its benefits :D
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

ETA - the only personal experience I have had of them is years ago. A club member's rear gear went into the back wheel (had just been serviced...), fortunately just before lunch. ETA was called while we had lunch. A large truck turned up (the sort you drive your car onto the back of). The bike was strapped behind the cab and bike and rider were driven 20 or so miles home. It would certainly have accomodated an adult trike!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I note that the Rev said 2 call outs a year not enough. This rather implies he may be after a regular pick up service, rather than an exceptional breakdown service.

I presume most breakdown companies survive because most of their clients don't call them out and if they do, it's a rarity. Some also limit regular call outs.

Sounds to me like the Rev needs someone to come and fetch him, rather than an AA or RAC type service.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, it would be good to know where the OP rides, and the causes of the breakdowns too, because there might be other ways to skin the cat by reducing the number of such incidents. Twice a year sounds a lot to me, but then having arthritis may limit the ability to fix things “in the field”, or even do preventative maintenance, oneself.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

ETA do unlimited callouts for mechanicals.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Chapeau to RevJim for taking on his autistic grandson at 70.

Purely for interest here in Melbourne there is a conveyance called a maxi taxi which is a 12 seater mini bus with some of the rear seats ripped out and a hoist on the back to load wheelchairs. Something like this would work for Jim's trike.

About ten years ago one of the women in our riding group had a new bike with the new fangled through axles but instead of just releasing the cam and unscrewing the cam had to twisted in a certain way before it could be unscrewed. Anyway she had a puncture and nobody on the ride could work out how to release it but Helen had paid a supplement on her RACV(ictoria) motoring membership for bikes whereby the man in the van would either fix your bike or get you home. So he arrived, tried to unscrew it in the conventional manner, consulted Mr Google on his phone without success and called a taxi to get Helen and her bike home.

FWIW
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

I had no idea such a thing existed, certainly sounds worthwhile to me for £24 a year, especially for touring, conditions seem reasonable too

https://my.eta.co.uk/documents/2021/cyc ... uments.pdf
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Traction_man wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 7:39pm

I had no idea such a thing existed, certainly sounds worthwhile to me for £24 a year, especially for touring, conditions seem reasonable too

https://my.eta.co.uk/documents/2021/cyc ... uments.pdf
Yep - the only annoying bit is if you get it via their insurance policy, it covers UK only, but the £24 pa non-insurance version covers EU too.

They'll even pick you up for an injury related reason, not just mechanicals.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”