when (if) I should replace my handlebars?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CliveyT

when (if) I should replace my handlebars?

Post by CliveyT »

Hi all,
just recovering from my second 'off' of the year. this one entirely my fault (too fast in the dark, wet metalwork- splat). Haven't recovered enough to get back on the bike in question again, but I was able to get it up on the stand and check it over. I came down on the right side (same as last time) with enough force that I need to replace the rhs brake lever. I've got the bartape off and I can't see any obvious damage, to the handlebars not bent as far as I see by eye, but would I know? They're generic alloy drop bars seven or eight years old.
Obviously not keen on replacing anything that doesn't need it, but equally don't want to get back on and end up faceplanting again. Should I throw caution to the wind and buy a new bar?
fastpedaller

Re: when (if) I should replace my handlebars?

Post by fastpedaller »

Ouch - I hope you recover soon. Can you put a flat sheet of wood on the outside of the drops to ascertain if the right side is bent at all? If it isn't bent it is likely to be no more of a concern than before the fall.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wish you a speedy recovery.
I came off with a splat earlier this year on a mini roundabout. Wet? Diesel? Dunno, but the bike slid away, and I hit the tarmac.
It ain't funny at all, and it hurts.

As for your handlebars, so long as they are true and with no damage, I wouldn't worry.
The Cinelli 'bars I have on my Mercian, date back to 1986, and I've a had a few "offs" over the eons with it.
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

My bars & stem got whacked in a prang that ripped the tape and grazed the bars. As a precaution I replaced the stem about 7000 miles later, and then the bars 19000 miles later, but I polished a graze out of the brake lever, and that's still OK after 35,000 miles. (Being as the impact pretzeled the front wheel, and someone elses insurance was paying, I got the frame checked by a frame builder as well.)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can't remember who it was or when it was on this forum, but it's absolutely yonks ago.

He said that he replaces his handlebars every few years. He gave a number, but I can't remember. I seem to think he said two years.

I asked him what he did with the "old" ones ............ and never got an answer! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Steve

Post by Steve »

You can test for cracks by filling the bar with water, apparently.
I had one fail catastrophically last year, not crashed, just old from the 90s,(and cheap). Not nice, although uninjured thanks to low speed and empty road.
julk

Post by julk »

Mick F wrote: 7 Nov 2022, 10:41am I can't remember who it was or when it was on this forum, but it's absolutely yonks ago.

He said that he replaces his handlebars every few years. He gave a number, but I can't remember. I seem to think he said two years.

I asked him what he did with the "old" ones ............ and never got an answer! :lol:
That was probably me - a long long time ago.
My handlebars snapped whilst comuting home from Edinburgh in rush hour one dark November evening.
I was lucky I survived in the traffic with grazes and a cracked rib.
It changed my views on keeping going with old handlebars.
I change mine every 5 years and give the retired ones to anyone who wants them.
Definitely overkill, but it keeps me happy.

So keep yours as long as you want, but check them for cracks and be very wary if they creak under pressure.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

CliveyT wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 2:42pm Obviously not keen on replacing anything that doesn't need it, but equally don't want to get back on and end up faceplanting again. Should I throw caution to the wind and buy a new bar?
Surely a new bar IS the cautious option?!?

There's no "right" option here, but I might well replace them in your position. (although you don't say how many hours/miles you've ridden them, which doesn't help ;- ) ...

The pros are advised to replace every 2 years IIRC? This is the probably the only time you'll have the front end in bits and some time on your hands, so it may be now-or-never!

But don't stress about it, either way ...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

julk wrote: 7 Nov 2022, 5:45pm
Mick F wrote: 7 Nov 2022, 10:41am I can't remember who it was or when it was on this forum, but it's absolutely yonks ago.

That was probably me - a long long time ago.
My handlebars snapped whilst comuting home from Edinburgh in rush hour one dark November evening.
I was lucky I survived in the traffic with grazes and a cracked rib.
It changed my views on keeping going with old handlebars.
I change mine every 5 years and give the retired ones to anyone who wants them.
Definitely overkill, but it keeps me happy.

So keep yours as long as you want, but check them for cracks and be very wary if they creak under pressure.
Thanks for the update. That clarifies the situation.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I had a pair of handlebars - not really snap, but sort of bend and fold off at the clamp. They were black but over the years had slowly sort of faded to a more mottled colour. I have another pair exactly the same, all seemed fine, again just discouloured. i decided to change those as a precauation. I put them in a vice around the clamp area and with a with a decent amount of force they also folded and broke.

I would never have thought to change those unless the other bike had gone. Not sure how you woudl test them without destroying them though. I'd already made the decision to replace them, before i destroyed them.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Snapped bars" (2017):
viewtopic.php?t=112977
includes Brucey's observations on failures and thoughts on replacement.

Jonathan
Ray

Post by Ray »

I recently replaced the bars on my turbo bike - not because I feared the very old ones would break, but because I wanted the modern 'compact' shape to match up to my Shimano brake/gear levers. The replacements were Brand X from Wiggle, which cost only £10 just a few weeks ago, but now appear to have gone up to £15 - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-road-r ... rs-compact

At that price it seems a bit daft to keep using decades-old bars and risk sudden failure, especially for road use. Of course, you may wish to go a bit more up-market for your best bike, but Brand X seem pretty light - and, anyway, they are 95% covered in tape! :D
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell