Our Future Health

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Our Future Health

Post by thirdcrank »

I've just received an "invitation" (AKA mailshot) from an organisation called "Our Future Health."

I couldn't find anything reliable-looking online. Does anybody know the score with this outfit?
Jdsk

Re: Our Future Health

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend reading the Research Protocol. It describes where they are coming from and the Directors etc.
https://ourfuturehealth.org.uk/wp-conte ... ndices.pdf

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Nov 2022, 5:18pm I recommend reading the Research Protocol. It describes where they are coming from and the Directors etc.
https://ourfuturehealth.org.uk/wp-conte ... ndices.pdf

Jonathan
Thanks for that but I know my own limitations. Almost 60 pages of stuff outside my normal range of knowledge + links is beyond me, or at least beyond the effort I'm prepared to devote to it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Millions invited to take part in UK scheme to diagnose diseases earlier":
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... tal-health

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks. That's more my level. It looks like it may not be long before the entire adult population is in the ... er ... sandbox.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

What a massive undertaking. It has the potential to make a massive contribution to the understanding of health and disease. … if not left to languish without support when results are not immediately apparent.

My mind boggles at the thought of sifting through the unprocessed ore in search of precious metal …
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Seems that, as planned, they are now expanding the geographical areas where they are inviting participants. I just got such an invite, and being a helpful sort of chap, thought I'd register.
You have to give a blood sample to take part, and I assumed they'd use the same hospitals etc as used for routine blood tests requested by GPs - my nearest is a mostly pleasant 20-minute bike ride away. But no - I have a choice of several, all in Boots shops, the handiest being over 30 miles away along the M4 (or a tedious train journey) and none in places I'd want to go to for any other reason. So until they make it possible without significant expense and inconvenience, I won't be taking part.
(I did register, and they say they'll let me know as new blood test centres are arranged, so maybe things will improve.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The link I posted is now duff.

https://ourfuturehealth.org.uk

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

nosmarbaj wrote: 20 May 2023, 8:35am ...
You have to give a blood sample to take part, and I assumed they'd use the same hospitals etc as used for routine blood tests requested by GPs - my nearest is a mostly pleasant 20-minute bike ride away. But no - I have a choice of several, all in Boots shops, the handiest being over 30 miles away along the M4 (or a tedious train journey) and none in places I'd want to go to for any other reason. So until they make it possible without significant expense and inconvenience, I won't be taking part.
For research projects that cover more than one catchment area it's often easier in practice for the researchers to use a single laboratory. The major reasons are that it avoids problems with between-laboratory variation and that it makes the downstream information processing easier. You've described one of the disadvantages!

Jonathan
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Jdsk wrote: 20 May 2023, 8:45am For research projects that cover more than one catchment area it's often easier in practice for the researchers to use a single laboratory. The major reasons are that it avoids problems with between-laboratory variation and that it makes the downstream information processing easier. You've described one of the disadvantages!
I can understand that, and would be less peeved if that was explained by O.F.H. and there were a few large regional clinics. But there seem to be a fair number of presumably quite small local centres (in Boots shops as I mentioned) - just none anywhere near me!
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

This seems a worthwhile and huge research project that will provide a massive amount of data for research. It looks like it is being rolled out geographically fairly slowly. I would certainly be happy to join if or when it comes to my area.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

VinceLedge wrote: 20 May 2023, 9:14am This seems a worthwhile and huge research project that will provide a massive amount of data for research. It looks like it is being rolled out geographically fairly slowly. I would certainly be happy to join if or when it comes to my area.
According to their website, anyone can join now even if not (yet) invited - see second section here https://study.ourfuturehealth.org.uk/fr ... -programme. But of course you'd probably have the same problem as I had with no convenient blood test centres, only worse.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I saw that, I don't think there are any in the South of Scotland yet so might be a bit of a trek!
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

An update for anyone interested.
I got an email asking me to complete their questionnaire - logged on and found I can now get a blood test tomorrow in my local Boots - which I've booked.
Questionnaire takes 20-30 minutes to complete and some of the questions don't seem quite logical - but they should know better than I what information they need. However, about 2/3 of the way through I entered a guessed answer, thinking "I'll check my records and go back later with exact information", then completed rest of form - many pages. Turns out the only way to get back to where I wanted was to use the "Previous page" button again and again - no way to jump to a page. Once I'd corrected my input, I found that everything else following in that section had been deleted and had to be re-entered. This is not good design. For how to do it well, see HMRC's online Self Assessment tax return - whatever HMRC's faults, at least their form is easy to edit.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The same day I read about this initiative, I was round a chum's gaff and he'd got a letter inviting him to join in. We went through it together and we concluded that as folks-of-a-certain-age, (ie over 60) most of what was offered by the scheme, we already had access to.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)