Cycling UK Forum Moderator offer

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Psamathe

Re: Cycling UK Forum Moderator offer

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 6:09pm
Mick F wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 9:11am I think these comments are useful.

a moderator wrote:Some people think that posts should be edited & moved so that information on a topic is always condensed into one thread. I happen to not agree: a forum is a dynamic thing with waves and eddies .......... sometimes yes, often leave it alone ......

Some people think that anything remotely describable as a 'personal attack' should be heaved over the side. Some contributors thoroughly deserve to be poked occasionally, life is like that, conversation in t'pub are like that. Calling someone f[expletiv]ly useless isn't on, suggesting that they are being irritating and picky is fine; particularly if they are being irritating and picky ..........

another moderator wrote: It matters not a jot that some newbie? raises a question that had been addressed fully two years ago. Yes, put a link up perhaps, but don't alert the mods. It they do, just delete the report.

Personal attacks are fine unless they get very personal, and most never get anywhere near that.
Are these comments from a recent discussion between moderators of this forum?

Thanks

Jonathan
I missed the thread they were posted in. Would have been helpful to have included a link to the thread. Must be on this forum for them to be relevant to this forum.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 11:55am IMO an advantage of merging some topics is that the debate does not then depend on stamina.
Surely it takes more stamina if participants have to reread the lot after each merge?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 7:31pm
thirdcrank wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 11:55am IMO an advantage of merging some topics is that the debate does not then depend on stamina.
Surely it takes more stamina if participants have to reread the lot after each merge?
There are some topics which attract strong, opposing views, without much, if anything, new emerging in new threads. Not everybody wants to rehearse it all every time a subject crops up, but that doesn't detract from what was said in earlier threads. My memory is deteriorating but I don't find myself burdened when threads are merged.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:40am Because the victim might be new and not be familiar with what we consider acceptable. And then we might lose their future contributions.
And because nasty behaviour makes the forum a less pleasant place for everyone.
And they wouldn't be deciding: they'd be asking the Moderators to decide.
Jonathan
Who is we members or moderators?
Anyone but the person involved should not be contacting moderators.That itself is nasty behaviour and makes the forum a less pleasant place.A bit like a prison full of grasses to use an extreme example :wink:

I wonder is there a banned list on this forum?Most have them.I'm interested to see how many members have been banned since the two most contentious subjects of recent years cropped up and the reasoning behind the bans.I suspect,judging from comments here,the numbers will be high.
I know exactly how many members I have banned since 2016 and also how many were due to comments about the B&C words within that time.The answer is very low and zero repectively.
Forums are much nicer and much more informative places when snitching and finger waving are removed from the process.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PedallingSquares wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 11:45am
Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:40am Because the victim might be new and not be familiar with what we consider acceptable. And then we might lose their future contributions.
Jonathan
Anyone but the person involved should not be contacting moderators.That itself is nasty behaviour and makes the forum a less pleasant place.A bit like a prison full of grasses to use an extreme example :wink:

I wonder is there a banned list on this forum?Most have them.I'm interested to see how many members have been banned since the two most contentious subjects of recent years cropped up and the reasoning behind the bans.I suspect,judging from comments here,the numbers will be high.
I know exactly how many members I have banned since 2016 and also how many were due to comments about the B&C words within that time.The answer is very low and zero repectively.
Forums are much nicer and much more informative places when snitching and finger waving are removed from the process.
The posts being reported are all overtly displayed for anybody to see including moderators. Reporting stuff just ensures they see it, without having to plough through every word of every post. And often they will see it more quickly

IMO, all anybody can hope to do is create a good atmosphere. Restricting reporting to those directly targeted doesn't recognise that somebody may just not post or quit altogether rather than complain.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PedallingSquares wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 11:45am
Jonathan

Emotive terms and unhelpful if you want to spark a debate, I suggest. I certainly don't recognise them on/in the context of this Forum.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PedallingSquares wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 11:45am ...
I wonder is there a banned list on this forum?...
I've never understood how "banned lists" work on forums like this one. If user <x> is repeatedly cautioned and then banned then a few days later user <y> registers and posts a few innocuous comments (so no alarm bells, nobody focussing on them) and they're back.

As a user with no special access to the moderator only information recorded about users, I've spotted some users who have repeatedly had posts deleted reappearing under a different username.

IP address is no indication e.g. I use a VPN so my IP address likely regularly changes, is shared and provides phoney location info. Even most ISP provided IP addresses normally periodically change and also provide changing location info (my ISP assigned IP address has occasionally put me located in Northern UK).

I wonder if where a user causes a skirmish where a ban might be close, rather than an ineffective ban stop that user from posting to those forum areas where they cause trouble (maybe for a number of weeks). I suspect forum software would not support such a block so just tell the user "don't post to/on <xyz> and if you do an immediate ban without further warnings".

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've had a few banned.
The admin side of this, knows the email and ISP etc of the registered person. We've had a few members registering as "new" but they are soon found out when they resume their "subjects" and "hobby-horses".
There's a previous member who was threatening legal action some years back.

I'm sort of privy to the chats, but have no part of the admin of it all, and neither do I want it.

I've considered (at an idle moment) of joining the forum as a newbie using a new email address and username and posting innocently and incognito. It wouldn't be long before I was sussed out due to my style and language usage.

I'm not going to do this as I'm not clever enough to hide ............... but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that one or two - or more? - of the members have dual personalities on here.

Come on, you lot, who's going to own up? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I can understand why some users want to ban other users - and if they are very successful at that, can they find a way to ban the entire social media universe which tends to be mostly crap?

But the other amusing trend is the idea or notion that one must not ever repeat anything that was said many pages or threads ago. I can imagine going into a pub and chastising someone who says anything that was said several days earlier.

As to carping complaints, my observation on this forum is that there are some very precious and self-important people who apparently believe their comments should trump everyone else's.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PedallingSquares wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 11:45am Anyone but the person involved should not be contacting moderators.That itself is nasty behaviour and makes the forum a less pleasant place.A bit like a prison full of grasses to use an extreme example :wink:
I disagree because forbidding anyone but the target of the abuse to report would mean that every attack reaches the target. That would be really nasty. Better it gets extinguished before it catches fire.

I've no problem with a forum full of "grasses" same as I've no problem with roads full of bikecams and dashcams used to report offences. Why do you?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I disagree because forbidding anyone but the target of the abuse to report would mean that every attack reaches the target. That would be really nasty. Better it gets extinguished before it catches fire.
The world is full of people who are offended on behalf of someone else who may not be at all offended. Leave complaints to the person who may or may not be the target and mind your own business. There are too many busy bodies about.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tiggertoo wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 10:31pm
The world is full of people who are offended on behalf of someone else who may not be at all offended. Leave complaints to the person who may or may not be the target and mind your own business. There are too many busy bodies about.
The good news is that this is a forum where your view doesn't prevail.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Any progress on the CUK recruitment of Moderators/Coordinators? The ones announced viewtopic.php?p=1700872&hilit=moderator#p1700872 back mid-June (5 months ago).

Not seen any announcements of new moderators but I may have missed them.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Psamathe wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 2:09pm Any progress on the CUK recruitment of Moderators/Coordinators? The ones announced viewtopic.php?p=1700872&hilit=moderator#p1700872 back mid-June (5 months ago).

Not seen any announcements of new moderators but I may have missed them.

Ian
slowster has joined the moderation team. We could still do with one or two others. Perhaps just spam busting?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom