Changes to my Nazca Paseo

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
a.twiddler

Re: Changes to my Nazca Paseo

Post by a.twiddler »

Would the V brake work if you swapped the arms over on the pivots so the noodle and cable came in from the other side?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

AZUB sell the composite seat for 219 euros. (609 for a carbon fibre one.) They should remove the VAT and there should be zero tariff, assuming the seat is made in the EU. The only charges should be UK VAT and customs handling.
Last edited by UpWrong on 20 Nov 2022, 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

a.twiddler wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 11:20am Would the V brake work if you swapped the arms over on the pivots so the noodle and cable came in from the other side?
Can't swap the arms over, they are L and R specific. I believe there are/were some V-brakes where the noodle holder could be moved from one arm to the other. Will have to do some searching around on the net.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

UpWrong wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 11:52am AZUB sell the composite seat for 219 euros. (609 for a carbon fibre one.) They should remove the VAT and there should be zero tariff, assuming the seat is made in the EU. The only charges should be UK VAT and customs handling.
They also have UK dealers, so might be able to order via that route. The VAT is probably collected differently that way, not by the courier I guess. I doubt it would change what I pay much, if at all.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I use a shaped polystyrene block under my ventisit pad to slightly change the shape of my hard shell seat so it fits me.
Because my arm harness pulls my shoulders back, the top of the seat needs to be convex not concave.
That's what the block does.

Luck .......... :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Working on fitting the AZUB seat. Pictures of the bike sans seat. Makes it look more sporty! I really think it's a clever design.
IMG_20230506_111939_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230506_112134_HDR.jpg
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Job done! :-) . It wasn't easy. I think I was lucky. Great precision was needed to get the brackets on the new seat in the right places and the correct distance apart.
IMG_20230507_130808_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230507_130906_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230507_173101_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230507_173127_HDR.jpg
Did my usual 9 mile test ride. There was no sliding forward off the seat and no pain in the lumbar area. In the last two photos the bike is on the mid-height suspension setting. I tried it in the highest setting (first two photos) and the steering was too light, not enough trail. On the mid-height setting (last two photos) my phone app says the angle of the seat sub-frame is around 36 degrees, so more laid back than I expected.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

On to further changes. The crossover chainline really bugs me so I'll remove the high return idler and drop the chain. I have a floating chain tube holder to suspend the chain in a lower position. The Bacchetta fork is narrow so I don't need the chain to pass by the crown but I want some tube to stop it rubbing on the fork leg. And I have a pair of drum braked wheels to go on which should help to avoid issues with brake cables conflicting with the chain. I want to retain some chain tube to avoid grease on my trousers, but preferably just shortish straight sections.

I'm also thinking of going back to a super compact double with chain guard. The chain guard is very helpful when transporting the bike in the car or on a train.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Decided I can't be bothered to change the chain line. I think most of the resistance is resulting from chain wrap when in the small-small combo. The resistance in other gears is much less and much more acceptable and I think I'd be in a land of pain trying to reconfigure without the return line idler. I'll also leave the current V-brakes alone. I can't justify the effort in fitting drum brakes if it's not going to be a keeper.

I will lower the gears by changing from the 33/48 compact double to a 28/42 super-compact with chain guard, and I can eliminate the chain-wrap. The cassette is 13-42. The gear range will be approx 17"-83", http://ritzelrechner.de/?GR=DERS&KB=28, ... H&DV=teeth

Will also fit a pair of more sturdy wheels on it with wider and more puncture resistant tyres. So it should be in a good, practical touring configuration. I have a pair of Ortlieb recumbent panniers to try to fit although I think they were designed around HP Velotechnic rear racks.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

It's never easy is it? I knew the Spa XD-2 triple is supposedly not 10 speed compatible though I thought I might get away with it if using only the inner and middle rings with a chain guard outer. Failed. The 10 speed chain would fall between inner and outer. I had 4 chain ring spacers so cut up some lasagne baking trays to make a 5th spacer. Success, it works well. The front change is very sweet. And I have sorted out the chain wrap though it took me two gos to get the right chain length.

It never ends however. I noticed how the rear V-brake noodle inteferes with the return chain line, pushing it out of position and causing the chain tube to drag on the chain inside it. It's quite noticeable. I may have to reconsider that drum braked wheel for the rear, or change to disk.
Last edited by UpWrong on 17 Jul 2023, 9:47am, edited 2 times in total.
UpWrong

chain line problem

Post by UpWrong »

You can see here how the brake noodle catches the chain tube:
IMG_20230717_063412_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230717_063424_HDR.jpg
As I change to a lower gear the chain tube rises and eventually moves from the position in the first photo to the one in the 2nd photo. It might be easiest to try a flexible brake noodle.
Last edited by UpWrong on 17 Jul 2023, 9:47am, edited 1 time in total.
UpWrong

super compact double

Post by UpWrong »

The XD-2 as a 28/42 super compact double. The FD is a Sora double, nominally 9 speed but it works fine with th 10 speed chain. Note the disc shaped widget at the end of the gear cable. This changes the pull ratio so that the MTB front shifter works with the road standard Sora:
IMG_20230717_063545_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230717_063427_HDR.jpg
[XAP]Bob

Re: chain line problem

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 9:28am You can see here how the brake noodle catches the chain tube:

As I change to a lower gear the chain tube rises and eventually moves from the position in the first photo to the one in the 2nd photo. It might be easiest to try a flexible brake noodle.
Can you turn the brake around, so the noodle is on the non drive side, or is there something else it will foul on?

That dedangler looks right on the edge of holding too much chain - is it equally at the limit at the other end of the range?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Re: chain line problem

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 10:55am Can you turn the brake around, so the noodle is on the non drive side, or is there something else it will foul on?

That dedangler looks right on the edge of holding too much chain - is it equally at the limit at the other end of the range?
The brake arms aren't reversible and the noodle holder on the arm is rivetted to the arm, so I think I'm stuck with the noodle on the drive side.

Yes the derailleur is close to the limit when using the big-big ratio. The stated RD capacity is 43T and that's all used up with 29T at the back and 14 at the front. I think it's ok at both extremes, but I wouldn't want to push it any further. Some of the new Shimano RDs designed for big cassette cogs have 47T capacity but not this one, https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/derailleurs ... eur-black/
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Shame about the noodle

I do wonder if the mech getting more deflection as a result of chain bounce being increased with longer chain length - but that should make it worse in big/big, rather than making it worse in small/small.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.