5 year old, close pass.

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Philip Benstead

5 year old, close pass.

Post by Philip Benstead »

I agree with every point, what do others think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ksLVwW_Xw
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
pjclinch

Re: 5 year old, close pass.

Post by pjclinch »

Yup, I'd say your man presenting that is right on the money.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Very good analysis indeed.

I’ve never seen it before, and when the dad told the kid to carry on, I winced, because it’s the classic trouble spot, where you know sone car drivers are likely to try a squeeze-through, even though they shouldn’t.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

A lot of the discussion on this has been about it being a wee sprog, but while that tugs at the heartstrings it's not really relevant. If the rider had been Mark Cavendish the driver's actions should be seen in exactly the same light of what they should be doing and why. Because while it's not okay to endanger a 5 year old because you have no patience, it's not okay to endanger an adult for the same non-reason either.

People are very bad at judging risk. They're even worse when they feel there is a moral angle too, and tend to see things as riskier when people are doing what is felt they shouldn't (e.g., letting a small child ride on the road).

Pete.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pjclinch wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 1:15pm A lot of the discussion on this has been about it being a wee sprog, but while that tugs at the heartstrings it's not really relevant. If the rider had been Mark Cavendish the driver's actions should be seen in exactly the same light of what they should be doing and why. Because while it's not okay to endanger a 5 year old because you have no patience, it's not okay to endanger an adult for the same non-reason either.

People are very bad at judging risk. They're even worse when they feel there is a moral angle too, and tend to see things as riskier when people are doing what is felt they shouldn't (e.g., letting a small child ride on the road).
Yes.

At the end of the day, the simplest way to eliminate any risk from the encounter - with minimal inconvenience to everyone - was for the driver to stop dead for the brief time it took the 5yo to cycle past his car. That's all.
rmaxted

Post by rmaxted »

Actually I fundamentally disagreed with this analysis. The only person in the wrong here was the driver. They were an egotistical thug whose need to continue their day in their way placed the life of the child and the adult in danger. There is no equivocation about this and I am getting sick and tired of the way in which the use of a potentially lethal machine in the hands of less than adequate operators keeps being given excuses. If it were someone approaching that child with a chainsaw would there be any question about it.

I have the right to make bad judgements on my bike. My bad judgement is no reason to be attacked by a dangerous machine. End of.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

rmaxted wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 2:17pm Actually I fundamentally disagreed with this analysis. The only person in the wrong here was the driver.
Maybe I was watching something else, but that the driver was in the wrong came across as the conclusion so don't really see the "fundamental disagreement" angle...

Pete.