Helmet cameras advice

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Bik3 Rid3r

Helmet cameras advice

Post by Bik3 Rid3r »

Not that I can afford one at the moment, but can anyone give me any feedback on helmet cameras or any other cameras for bikes. What are your thoughts, are they any good? Can they really get a good image of a vechicle registration number? what type of fitting is best, helmet/handlebar ect? I would really like to know as I am considering saving up for one.
Jdsk

Re: Helmet cameras advice

Post by Jdsk »

There's lots of useful information in the archives, including some recent experiences with modern cameras:
search.php?keywords=camera&terms=all&au ... mit=Search

And a current thread:
viewtopic.php?t=153815

Jonathan
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://toptechreport.org/best-action-c ... ySEALw_wcB

Has anyone had experience with RealAction PRO listed? at £79, battery life 2 hrs?
is it easy to fit to a helmet or handlebars?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Bik3 Rid3r wrote: 9 Nov 2022, 3:23pm Not that I can afford one at the moment, but can anyone give me any feedback on helmet cameras or any other cameras for bikes. What are your thoughts, are they any good? Can they really get a good image of a vechicle registration number? what type of fitting is best, helmet/handlebar ect? I would really like to know as I am considering saving up for one.
There are quite a few decent ones, but not 4k, high resolution HD from around £19.99. I've heard see good reports about them. Going to invest in one this week, will let you know.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Unfortunately not that many proper comparative footage of the cheaper range of the market though if you search youtube for a model you might find a reviewer that has done several different ones.

In general the cheaper cameras will tend to have lower dynamic ranges and lose some of the finer detail as a result of cheaper sensors and cheaper integral processors (which aren't as capable of as efficient video encoding)
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Camera on helmet, ooo, be careful, remember what happened to Schumakermikermakermikermakermoo.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

yostumpy wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 7:47am Camera on helmet, ooo, be careful, remember what happened to Schumakermikermakermikermakermoo.
At least worth bearing in mind that helmets are built and tested to specifications. If you add a camera mount you've altered the helmet and potentially the crash performance the helmet is tested too, so you no longer have a helmet that meets a standard.

This is also true of e.g. headlamp mounts too.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I've been using a (genuine not a copy) sj4000 action camera for 3-4 years now they work well and can see reg numbers OK, but the view is front/rear only as they both are fixed to trike, but like all things a head shot will alway be better as you look were the trouble/action is coming from.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

yakdiver wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 6:31pm I've been using a (genuine not a copy) sj4000 action camera for 3-4 years now they work well and can see reg numbers OK, but the view is front/rear only as they both are fixed to trike, but like all things a head shot will alway be better as you look were the trouble/action is coming from.
I'm a big fan of these too, think I paid about £40 back in 2018, Use it on every ride so probably about 26,000 miles so far. I have mine fixed to the handlebars and tehered to a battery, gives me about 20 hours between recharging, and the 64gb card keeps about the last 8 hours footage.

And yes, be very careful of the cheap copies on ebay (under£20), they are rubbish. The genuine ones seem to record in .MOV and the copies in .avi

As for the quality, here is a screenshot showing reg plates. Obviously in fading light it is not so good, and on unlit country roads at night, it will rarely capture a reg. if moving.
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

Ditto on the Schumacher accident... I'd never mount a camera to my helmet. What about a cell phone on a chest mount? I've got the chest mount, but never tried it. SJ4000 get good reviews though.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’m running a ChilliTech front bullet cam. It was around £40. It comes with a handlebar mount and a Velcro helmet mount and battery. You just need to add an SD card. I run mine mounted on the stem of my bike and recently had a successful prosecution of a driver based on the footage from the camera, after a dangerous overtake. The only problem with it is that it can rattle a bit on the mount on rough roads.

I also run a Cycliq Fly6 rear camera, but they are almost £200 now. Aldi do a similar one for £40. I’ve bought one as a spare but I’ve not used it yet. Viofo also do front and rear cbike cameras for around £100 each.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10 ... 2042869829
perhaps a spring / damper could be helpful.
if one is available to purchase or if you could make your own? You need a simple attachment, probably up to 10g acceleration.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mini+da ... s-wiz-serp

hopefully others may offer better/practical solutions.
Could try wrapping some foam around the stem and rubber straps.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see the OP joined on 9 Nov last year and last posted the following day. Their main contribution was a very long post containing a link to a commercial website.
================================================
PS When I just tried to report that post it came back "File not found" so I presume the moderators have already moderated it.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.airconspares.com/diversitec ... hQEALw_wcB

£2 mount/pad, cut in half and attach, may be useful,