Bike Sharing

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Re: Bike Sharing

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I lived in Cambridge late 70s/early 80s and even back then using a car was a bit of a nightmare. I very rarely drove and found it far more convenient to cycle round the place. Recent visits have shown that it hasn't changed much in that respect. One thing I do remember well was the uproar amongst motorists when the council introduced contra-flow cycle lanes on one-way streets....
hemo

Post by hemo »

This is where a lot of new towns in the 50's /60's went wrong, they should have been centred wholly around cycling infrastucture making the car second best. We see it today all new developments are private/associatation managed where councils have no input in running them or the local infrastructure, they are all centred around the car getting to and from them with little or no cycle infrastruture to make other transprt options safer and healthier.

As we know the dutch took the decision in the late 60's to implement the future welfare of pedestrians and bicycles over the car and make the car secondary in the 70's with their change of infrastructure.
We could have had the same chance but industry and money chose the car .

We have a few examples like cambridge and oxford but they are large acedemic city's, London has tried to an extent and other cities may have improved a little in dribs and drabs. But still most of the country is car orientated which is politically biased and no one party will invest proper decent money on thought out decent infrastructure, however they do like to waste money on nonsense projects which could go to proper use.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

marshall35 wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 8:07am I live in Newmarket, Suffolk. I sometimes take my bike to one of the Park and Ride areas near Cambridge and cycle to the city from there. I was wondering why there are no bike sharing facilities at any of the sites? Is it because the bus companies don`t want to lose business? I would be interested to know how things are in other parts of the country
I’d be interested to know what the cycle routes are like from the Park and Ride sites. Most P&R sites tend to be next to one of the main arterial roads into a city, so not the best route to cycle on. I recently stayed near Bath and caught the Newbridge P&R bus into the centre. This P&R site is actually very close to the Bristol to Bath path and therefore very feasible for a safe cycle route from the P&R site.

We did have our bikes with us on the trip, as we wanted to ride the Bath to Bristol path and the 2 Tunnels Greenway, but we didn’t cycle into Bath centre due to concerns about where we could safely leave our bikes whilst we walked around. However, a bike sharing scheme with docking stations in the city centre would remove those concerns.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mjr

Post by mjr »

drossall wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 1:35pm Well fair point on a strict reading, but the thinking behind my comment was reading somewhere that Stevenage has, if anything, fewer trips by bike than average. It's certainly not a shining example of infrastructure bringing high cycle usage. But of course there were very few cycle journeys at all on the farm fields that were there before the infrastructure, and the rest of the town, were built :lol:
The above probably isn't true. Up to 2018, Stevenage had 13% of people cycling at least weekly, compared to a national average for England of 11.6% (Source: DfT table CW0302). So, if anything, probably slightly more cycling than average, but not remarkably so.

Certain people on here like to repeat the same old often-debunked fibs about the likes of Stevenage and MK not having much cycling. While they're not at Cambridge or London levels, they do tend to have consistently more cyclists than the national average, while nearby mostly-vehicular-cycling places like Luton, Brentwood or Kettering tend to have fewer.

What really sucks in the built-for-cars cities tends to be the buses. Caught in the middle: slower than driving, less convenient than cycling.

Oh and I think Cambridge is more due to retaining a critical mass, plus the cost (including parking) and hassle of driving in it, rather than the very-rarely-enforced rule about students not keeping cars.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 5:35pm
marshall35 wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 8:07am I live in Newmarket, Suffolk. I sometimes take my bike to one of the Park and Ride areas near Cambridge and cycle to the city from there.[...]
I’d be interested to know what the cycle routes are like from the Park and Ride sites. Most P&R sites tend to be next to one of the main arterial roads into a city, so not the best route to cycle on.
Cambridge? Not bad at all:
· Newmarket Road: NCN51 crosses the P+R car park and heads towards the city centre along the River Cam, then NCN11 takes you the final bit on 20mph city centre residential streets;
· Babraham Road: probably the worst, but still a 90s-style roadside cycleway along Babraham Road to join the Hills Road superhighway-style route where it starts by the hospital before petering out into a bus lane near the rail station;
· Trumpington Road: along the guided-bus cycleway to the main rail station, then either join the poor bit of Hills Road or use a signed backstreets route to Parker's Piece;
· Madingley Road: across the university science site to the Coton Path, which is mostly greenway right to the city centre... or it looks like there's a Cycleway Resembling A Pavement along Madingley Road and Queens Road if you're worried about the greenway being too quiet for safety;
· Busway P+Rs (St Ives, Longstanton): NCN51 on cycleways or bike-dominated residential roads to the River Cam, then joins NCN11 as above;
· Milton: a bridge with rather sharp corners into Milton village, then a cycleway to join NCN51 at the busway.

There is CCTV parking under the Grand Arcade. Sometimes there's paid-for guarded parking, but check the opening times.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.