NOISY DRIVETRAIN

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastrack1966

NOISY DRIVETRAIN

Post by fastrack1966 »

I am riding with FD Campag Mirage, RD Campag Veloce, chainrings Centaur x2 all 9-speed. Kit is about 15 - 20 years old. Suddenly the ride is really noisy, clicking/grating, everyone can hear me coming! Happens in every gear & both rings. Chain does not jump or slip - yet.
The chain is not worn, I have a stretch-checker. I can't even be sure when riding if the noise is from the front or the rear. When I turn the bike upside down indoors there is no noise in any gears, it seems to only happen under load.
If I ride & pedal outside really lightly the noise diminshes but it takes me twice as long to get anywhere! The FD cage does not seem to be rubbing on the chain. It takes the standard three clicks to change on the FD. RD changes are fine.
Has anyone else had this - Good shifts but noisy riding
Barrowman

Re: NOISY DRIVETRAIN

Post by Barrowman »

Broken axle in rear wheel? Quiet when no rider weight on the machine. Used to happen few years ago particularly with Campag and screw on six and seven speeds if I recall many roadside repairs of poorly maintained machines ( not mine I might add) .
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Have you checked the bottom bracket? Yank the cranks to see if there is any play.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Ride the bike with a compenent mechanic riding with you on another bike - they might see something you cannot while riding the bike yourself. Said observer might be able to located the source of the noise more accurately as well.

Does it happen when you freewheel?
Also feel/check hub bearings and BB bearing smooth/not loose. Also check (rear) spokes are well tensioned and have not all come loose for some random reason.
Usual suspects for transmission noise (loose crank bolts/ring bolts/pedals in crank etc) tend not to slow you down.
I have known noisy bikes (creaking) where the bearing cup has come loose in the hub shell, but I am talking cheap rubbish bikes here, not the Holy C.

I suppose also, check the frame for cracks/fractures.....
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Have you done anything to it recently?

For example if you taken the chain rings off for whatever reason it could be the chain ring bolts? Under strain..
peetee

Post by peetee »

My guess is the one of the bearings in the hub have fractured. Wear of the bearing surfaces usually results in play at the rim and a clunk with the movement but with a fractured bearing there can be a lot of (tooth curling :shock: ) noise without any play at the rim.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Couple of folk I know have broken saddle rails recently. Same thing can't replicate the noise without rider weight bearing down. Break of saddle rail under the seat clamp .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I had a creaking noise for a while, and asked on here, and it was suggested that it was the saddle.
I removed it, greased the rails and the securing bolt threads, and tightened it up.
Creak all gone! :D

As for our OP, it sounds to me like it's a rear hub. Bearings, freewheel pawls, or a combination.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

It could be a plethora of things and you could easily spend vast time and money to cure it.

I’d start with the cheapest and easiest solutions first. These often entail taking things off, cleaning, regreasing and reinstalling.

As it only happens when under load I would start on the things that move (pedals, bottom bracket, chain) and then move onto saddle rails and seatpost clamp. Just do the lot at once. Then test ride.

If the issue persists then look at things like the free hub, headset and cassette.

Another thing…think back to when it last worked and what happened between then and when it started creaking. I.e did you ride in the rain, did you make changes to your bike set up, etc?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

You need to start by selectively applying/removing the load from various places. What happens when you stop pedalling, get off the seat, let go of the handlebars, etc. What if you stand on the pedals and turn them with the bike stationary and chain off? If that doesn't give you any clues, try removing the wheels and feel the bearings: axles, pedals, BB, freehub.

If you're still no further forward, it's time to start dismantling stuff and looking for broken parts/bearings etc.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
fastrack1966

Post by fastrack1966 »

OMG Really Sorry Everyone I wondered why no one had replied. Went to my profile & put in a load more ticks in Notifications! Now I'll take your notes n go and look at the bike..............
fastrack1966

Post by fastrack1966 »

I think I have found it. I was suspicious that the large chainring was bent but I am not a great fan of cycling along staring down at the chainrings for long! Turned the bike over, I have no stand, lifted the chain off the rings and spun the crank trying to keep the bike steady. Harder than it sounds. BOTH chainrings are "wobbling". No play in the bottom bracket. Questions how did it happen & what do I replace?

1) I have not had a crash or dropped the bike. Surely the BB axle is one of the heftiest bits on the bike?
2) Remedies: It seems hardly likely that both rings have bent at the same time. I can remove them and find a dead flat surface to see how bad the bend(s) are.
3) I can replace the BB axle, a real pain.
4) Replace the RHS crank & pedal.
Do all of the above and never mind the expense.
Sorry my notificiations were off, if I get no replies I'll make a new post under "Bent Chainrings"
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

As your transmission isn't brand new, there would be nothing to lose by gently straightening the chainrings using an adjustable spanner and some gentle pressure. Have done it myself on a couple of machines ( with lower specs than you seem to have) . If it doesn't work then it's new chainring time.
As you can't attribute the bends to any significant event, double check the ring bolts are tight.
I had a ring fail (a largish one on a small bolt centre diameter crank) caused by loose bolts with no attendant noise, just noticed it at the end of a ride.
fastrack1966

Post by fastrack1966 »

Have you checked the bottom bracket? Yank the cranks to see if there is any play.

I don't bleive it after all this time the racket at the bracket was getting too much. When I checked the bottom bracket weeks ago I only wiggled the LH crank. No play, so BB OK? I didn't wiggle the RHS the RHS hex nut was coming loose. Yes I have put all my effort into my four-inch hex key and now Peace n Quiet!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Good to hear it is sorted.