Leather Pump Washers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Barrowman

Leather Pump Washers

Post by Barrowman »

Anyone know if a supplier of such things ( actually for use in a Vacuum Wiper Motor in a Vintage Car)
Mike Sales

Re: Leather Pump Washers

Post by Mike Sales »

When the pump washer in my Primus paraffin pressure stove split I made my own replacement. The tongue of a pair of shoes from a charity shop provided the leather. It worked and was still working when I sold the stove.
Some sort of lubrication for the leather might be needed; in my case the paraffin provided this, I think.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Good call there , like to see a bit of recycling and ingenuity.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Barrowman wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 2:08pm Good call there , like to see a bit of recycling and ingenuity.
Thanks, cheap and quick too, which suits my frugality, and it was in the middle of a trip.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Nothing beats a bit if on the road ingenuity.
I recall 'repairing' a failed freewheel (not mine!) with toe straps and zip ties onto the hub and spokes to created an effective fixed wheel . Worked ok and rider didn't overdo the pressure on it.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Mike Sales wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 12:36pm When the pump washer in my Primus paraffin pressure stove split I made my own replacement......
If you've got access to a lathe, or you know a man who has, you can make a simple tool to fabricate your own washers. In the absence of a lathe you may be able to Improvise something that does the same Job. This YouTube video illustrates the general principal.

https://youtu.be/6xFhThdnYqE

The diameter of the ♀ cup needs to be the same diameter as your pump barrel and the diameter of the ♂ plug needs to be smaller by approximately 2X the thickness of your leather.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

On the road to the French Alps I learned the French for cotter pin and how to fit one properly. It took several attempts!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Norman H wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 2:56pm
Mike Sales wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 12:36pm When the pump washer in my Primus paraffin pressure stove split I made my own replacement......
If you've got access to a lathe, or you know a man who has, you can make a simple tool to fabricate your own washers. In the absence of a lathe you may be able to Improvise something that does the same Job. This YouTube video illustrates the general principal.

https://youtu.be/6xFhThdnYqE

The diameter of the ♀ cup needs to be the same diameter as your pump barrel and the diameter of the ♂ plug needs to be smaller by approximately 2X the thickness of your leather.
I just cut the leather to the right diameter, bent it round the plunger washer, and tucked it into the cylinder.
Did the job, I was not carrying a lathe.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Travelling light! ^^ :lol:
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Silca track pump needed a new leather washer, so I bought a replacement washer from it.

It wasn't long before the Silca was scrapped, and I bought a Lezyne, and much better than the Silca ever was.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 7:22pm My Silca track pump needed a new leather washer, so I bought a replacement washer from it.

It wasn't long before the Silca was scrapped, and I bought a Lezyne, and much better than the Silca ever was.
I wonder if it would have sold one to barrowman. If you've scrapped it, we'll never know
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Cheers Philip (and the rest Of you) . As ever a remarkable source of expertise and knowledge.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Mick F wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 7:22pm It wasn't long before the Silca was scrapped, and I bought a Lezyne, and much better than the Silca ever was.
That’s a shame. My Silca seems to be fine, but I’ve only been using it for 30 years so not sure how well it will last yet 🙂
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Silca make quite a wide range of pumps, some are probably better than others. And though they make a big thing of their Italian, artisan, family heritage, they were actually bought by an American entrepreneur a couple of years ago and all production transferred over there; Indiana iirc.