Any Simple Bike Computers with memory

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DaveTaylor

Any Simple Bike Computers with memory

Post by DaveTaylor »

Hi

Can anyone recommend a simple Wireless Bike computer with memory.

Memory = when the battery goes flat I don't have to re-enter all the data and total miles with just silly 2 buttons.

I have a Cateye Strada Slim which has all the functions I need, Speed & Distance etc, but its a right pain to set up, and the battery does not last that long.

Regards, Dave
xerxes

Re: Any Simple Bike Computers with memory

Post by xerxes »

That isn't wireless. And I'd be surprised if it retains data when the battery is removed.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The battery in my Cateye Enduro lasts years, which makes a bit of difference to the hassle of replacing it.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
freiston

Post by freiston »

My understanding is that the Enduro isn't wireless either.

I don't know of any simple bike computer, wired or wireless, that will hold data after a battery goes flat. I would be very surprised if such a thing exists at all.

Unless someone can come up with a better answer, I would say your best bet to get close to simple, wireless and with "memory" would be to go for a simple GPS computer (not navigational). A quick look on the web brought up this: Bryton Rider 15E Neo GPS Cycle Computer for about £50. It's a rechargeable unit with about 16 hours battery life - so instead of letting it go flat, you just top it up. I understand that you can also transfer ride data via a phone app/USB cable to PC.

I used to use a Cateye Micro Wireless but my phone interfered with it when I had it on the handlebars or in a bar bag so I went back to wired (Cateye Velo 7). Neither of these hold any data when the battery is changed but the Velo7 has never had a battery change and I've had it for three years. So if you had one, you wouldn't have to re-enter the set-up very often. I've never bothered with the odometer readings - I don't use them for anything except for a casual passing interest and maybe start and finish readings of a multi-day tour. I can't think of any reason why I would want the total mileage to be maintained - if the data was important to me, I would be recording it elsewhere anyway - even if only annual mileage.

If I wanted data of a ride, I used to record rides on my phone with Osmand but after a few wrong turns, I decided to get a Garmin 530 for navigation but I can record my rides on it too - it will save them and can upload them to the Garmin phone app/server for future reference.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)