Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ChrisF

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by ChrisF »

I have come across an oddity with route planning in Spain. I'm trying to make a route along the SE coast - see https://cycle.travel/map/journey/374876 which shows the problem. I have chosen 'paved' because I will have a road bike, and wanted to avoid the off-road section of EV8 along the coast. There's a reasonable route which uses about 6km of the RM332 road, immediately south and west of Mazarron, but cycle.travel will not let me use it. Yes, I know it's a trunk road and may not be ideal for cycling, but nothing on OSM suggests that cycling isn't allowed (and Google streetview doesn't show any 'no cycling' signs at the junctions). There's another section of the same road a bit further east, which coincides with EV8, and I can route along that bit .
RideWithGps allows me to route along the Mazarron section (although by default it routes along some off-road tracks). So why not cycle.travel?
Chris F, Cornwall
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Do let us know when the app is released Richard, it looks like it will be soon.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Indeed! I've been ticking off a bunch of final things on the to-do list today - a help page, lots of little fixes, making the pop-up bubbles look nicer, that sort of thing. Really shouldn't be long now.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've found what seems to be a slight glitch when undoing a deleted waypoint.

Pre-amble: I was looking at routes to get to a meeting point by the DW Stadium in Wigan coming from the North East of town. I'm very familiar with getting to & from Wigan North West station, either by road or along the canal (to/from the top of Wigan locks), but less familiar with what there is, apart from the canal towpath, on the western side of the town.

So I plotted a short route from WNW to my destination, which gave this (routing set to "Any").
WNW to DW 1.png
As it seemed to go a long way round, I put a waypoint in & dragged it to the canal towpath
WNW to DW 2.png
CT had still taken a long way round after leaving the canal so I dragged the waypoint a bit more to get the route I wanted. All well & good so far.
WNW to DW 3.png
By this time I'd forgotten how much extra distance the original route was so I deleted the way point to get back to the original route, noted the distance & hit the undo button.

At this point things went a bit odd - the majority of the route stayed the same as before the undo, but the destination became waypoint 1 & the previous location of waypoint 1 became the destination.
WNW to DW 4.png
I wouldn't have expect the destination to change location.

Edited to add: I've just tried deleting waypoint 1 from its original(ish) location on the canal towpath & then undoing the delete. That switches the location of the waypoint & the destination too.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Richard Fairhurst

Any better now?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 9 Nov 2022, 6:00pm Any better now?
Yes. That seems to be doing what I would expect - leaving the finish alone & just changing the route there. :D Thank you once again for all your work on Cycle Travel.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

It doesn’t seem to want to save as separate days. Is there an easy fix eg changing something or should I start again? I’ve based it in a Loire route so I can recreate it fairly easily.
Attachments
38263679-65EE-4528-8876-02ABF97106BB.jpeg
Richard Fairhurst

Just had a look and that should be fixed now - I think it was getting confused because it somehow thought your first overnight was at the start point and was trying to create an empty day 1 before getting there!
scragend

Post by scragend »

Hi Richard,

Just a quick question if I may. When plotting a route through the centre of Hindley, cycle.travel doesn't seem to want to let me go all the way along Cross Street and turn left at the end onto Market Street:
Hindley 1.png
Instead it routes me right onto Albert Street, which is no entry, being one way in the opposite direction.

If I place a waypoint further along Cross Street to try to force it, it does this:
Hindley 2.png
That is, it takes me up to the end of Cross St, turns right onto Market St, then back into Albert St (in the correct direction!), back onto Cross St then via Morris St and Frederick St and then onto Market St again.

The end of Cross St is no right turn onto Market St - left turn is the only permitted movement. cycle.travel seems to have the turn restriction at the end of Cross St the wrong way round.

It's local to me so I don't need directions at this point but I noticed it and just wondered why it might be?

Edited to add: It seems that the pavement up to the end of Cross St is a shared path (must admit I've never noticed, and it's not a very good one!!), but I don't think the pavement down Market St is, so that should still preclude a right turn I think?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Normally, it would be OpenStreetMap that's got the turn restriction the wrong way round. If you go into OpenStreetMap and edit the restriction, cycle.travel will pick up the change the next time it updates its mapping (either every 2 weeks, or every month, normally). You've got to register and log in to be able to edit.

Having just looked, it's showing as no right turn from Cross St into Market St at present, last edited a year ago, so I'm not sure what's going on.

[edit] I think it's that the wrong bit of Market Street (that which you turn left on to) has been picked as the "To" part of the restriction, so from Cross Street to Market Street NE of the junction is restricted, and the "no right turn" label is just being ignored.
I've changed the restriction to be from Cross St to Market St SW of junction, so we'll see what happens
(The last time I did any OSM editing was when it was new, and most of the roads were missing, let alone anything else.)
scragend

Post by scragend »

andrew_s wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 9:43pm Normally, it would be OpenStreetMap that's got the turn restriction the wrong way round. If you go into OpenStreetMap and edit the restriction, cycle.travel will pick up the change the next time it updates its mapping (either every 2 weeks, or every month, normally). You've got to register and log in to be able to edit.

Having just looked, it's showing as no right turn from Cross St into Market St at present, last edited a year ago, so I'm not sure what's going on.

[edit] I think it's that the wrong bit of Market Street (that which you turn left on to) has been picked as the "To" part of the restriction, so from Cross Street to Market Street NE of the junction is restricted, and the "no right turn" label is just being ignored.
I've changed the restriction to be from Cross St to Market St SW of junction, so we'll see what happens
(The last time I did any OSM editing was when it was new, and most of the roads were missing, let alone anything else.)
Thank you, for the explanation and for fixing it :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Not something I have knowledge about but question on BentRiderOnline I responded to suggesting cycle.travel and people there (predominantly |US based) identified issues with putting in US format addresses e.g. http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... 8#poststop and http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... 8#poststop

As I say, just passing on feedback from other source that may be of help to Richard.

Ian
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

See the app store if you are on an apple device for the new cycle.travel app. :)
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Impressive. :D

Is there a reason why an apple app was made before an android one, I presumed android phones would be more prevalent?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
RickH

Post by RickH »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 7:38pm Impressive. :D

Is there a reason why an apple app was made before an android one, I presumed android phones would be more prevalent?
I get the impression that Richard is (primarily) an Apple user.

The latest update via Patreon says "...in the New Year I’ll be getting underway with the Android version – wish me luck." I've absolutely no idea how different programming stuff for Android is compared to Apple but at least some of the coding wrinkles should have got ironed out beforehand. I shall look forward to seeing how that goes (hopefully smoothly). :)