Gear Cable

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jb

Re: Gear Cable

Post by jb »

The rear brake cable doesn't appear to be touching the fork - do you mean the steering tube?
Cheers
J Bro
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

jb wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 1:27pm The rear brake cable doesn't appear to be touching the fork - do you mean the steering tube?
its the rear derailleur cable that is eroded and looks like it is touching top of fork.
jb

Post by jb »

deeferdonk wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 2:52pm
jb wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 1:27pm The rear brake cable doesn't appear to be touching the fork - do you mean the steering tube?
its the rear derailleur cable that is eroded and looks like it is touching top of fork.
My mistake - some frames have braze-ons to stop that, your best bet is to get some clear sticky back sheet and cut it to shape to shield the top of the fork. You'll still need to keep an eye out for the sheet wearing through.
Cheers
J Bro
Gummo

Post by Gummo »

j wrote: your best bet is to get some clear sticky back sheet and cut it to shape to shield the top of the fork. You'll still need to keep an eye out for the sheet wearing through.
Aye, I think I'll cover the bare patch with some black enamel paint first.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Gummo wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 12:09pm This is the bike the day I bought it new. Top of the fork is the erosion zone.
Fair enough. They might go a little shorter but they’re still going to touch a part of the frame/fork so some sort of protection at the contact points would be wise. The style that slide over the cable should stop cable wear and reduce paint damage to the frame/fork.
Gummo

Post by Gummo »

Thanks everyone, for your valuable time, knowledge and patience.