Which bike to take on a cycle tour in France ... to then take part in club cycling jaunt

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Goosey

Re: Which bike to take on a cycle tour in France ... to then take part in club cycling jaunt

Post by Goosey »

Surely if you’re not keen on camping and don’t want to carry loads of stuff anyway, you’d be better off risking the dodgy French cuisine? 🤔
ANTONISH

Re: Which bike to take on a cycle tour in France ... to then take part in club cycling jaunt

Post by ANTONISH »

Bice wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 7:11pm
MrsHJ wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 11:25am These days I mostly picnic and graze from local shops rather than cooking or eating out (I get the odd pizza for something hot) when cycle touring but whatever works for you is fine- a trangia adds to your weight but it’s worth it if that’s how you prefer to eat.

I have a picnic kit packed in my gear with s &p and a little pot of oregano and a tiny bottle of salad dressing, admittedly I use a frisbee for a plate but I’m all about multi purpose. You can see the tiny msr dishwashing brush in the photo and there’s a mini msr tea towel in the set too, it all packs away in the small red bag. Ok, not the frisbee.
I would love to use the Trangia, especially for cups of tea, but fear it might have to go if I use the Trek. It is a bit surplus. I think Ortleib panniers had better go, too. I love them for shopping and general stuff, but they do weigh. Stuff bags and old, small rucksacks bunggeed to the rack and frame would get the weight down. This is the advice of the ultra light weight tourer, and I think he has a point when touring on light road bikes. I would not worry about the Ortliebs on any of the other bikes.
My partner decided for some reason to eschew her panniers and mounted a large rucksack on her rear rack.
It worked rather well (to my chagrin because I said it wouldn't - and I've been instructed to use a rucksack next year).
I usually carry a large waterproof stuff sack which is parlty filled with waterproofs. There is enough space to take my panniers when I want to get on a train. It's easier handling an unloaded bike with the stuuf sack on my back.
Bice

Post by Bice »

MrsHJ wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 11:25am These days I mostly picnic and graze from local shops rather than cooking or eating out (I get the odd pizza for something hot) when cycle touring but whatever works for you is fine- a trangia adds to your weight but it’s worth it if that’s how you prefer to eat.

I have a picnic kit packed in my gear with s &p and a little pot of oregano and a tiny bottle of salad dressing, admittedly I use a frisbee for a plate but I’m all about multi purpose. You can see the tiny msr dishwashing brush in the photo and there’s a mini msr tea towel in the set too, it all packs away in the small red bag. Ok, not the frisbee.
The mobile kitchen and condiments are great. I love the frisbie repurposing. And the bottle opening knife is good. I don't see a cork screw. Maybe everything is screwcap these days.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bice wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 8:09pm
foxyrider wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 7:35pm I've done some camping trips with a Giant SCR, not dissimilar to your Trek winter bike, except i was on 25c tyres. It might not be everyones choice but thats what i'd use, fit a decent rack and Robert's your mothers brother :D
But what about the lovely Diamant, which certainly flies along when light:

But whats it like loaded when the frame twists and gives a soggy ride? There's a good reason that most bikes have diamond frames, yes you can ride almost anything anywhere but there will be a cost somewhere along the line.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Bice wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 7:11pm I would love to use the Trangia, especially for cups of tea, but fear it might have to go if I use the Trek. It is a bit surplus. I think Ortleib panniers had better go, too. I love them for shopping and general stuff, but they do weigh. Stuff bags and old, small rucksacks bunggeed to the rack and frame would get the weight down. This is the advice of the ultra light weight tourer, and I think he has a point when touring on light road bikes. I would not worry about the Ortliebs on any of the other bikes.
Depends what you want- super lightweight is fine if it works for you, I’ve never used more than 2 panniers. I have a bikepacking single man tent that straps to the bars in theory (it’s a big Agnes one). I bought it because it has short poles so fits neatly at the bottom of a pannier.

I just used front panniers on the back on my most recent tour. That’s 28 litres which was enough- BUT I wasn’t camping this time. It’s tricky to go super lightweight and camp but some people achieve it- look at some of the endurance races and their set up.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 27 Nov 2022, 5:32am, edited 1 time in total.
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

I'd be tempted to take the Diamant. It looks a nice ride, and capable of the touring and club riding. You've already toured on it. It seems to have a sturdy rack, and you could tweak the kit you take with you, and maybe distribute some of the load by using a small saddlebag\barbag etc. It looks like the brakes are decent, but I'd make sure I had the best possible braking on a trip like that.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

:!:
Bice wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 10:09am
iandriver wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 10:13pm If you weigh less than about 16 stone, I wouldn't worry about overloading any of them.

Which one is most comfortable and fits you best is probably the right choice.
I am 72kgs at present, but will aim for 70kgs or less by June. That's 11 stone. Deep respect for anyone at 16 stone who could get up Ventoux in June.
Sounds perfect. Don't underestimate a 1000km ride to the start to get you in shape. You should be flying along by the time you get to southern France. It's like Disneyland for cycling in that area. Aside from the mountain, you have the flat lands of the Rhone valley and the Inbetweeners like the gorges de la nesque (excuse spelling) which is an absolute joy on a bike. You'll love it all.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bice

Post by Bice »

iandriver wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 12:41am Sounds perfect. Don't underestimate a 1000km ride to the start to get you in shape. You should be flying along by the time you get to southern France. It's like Disneyland for cycling in that area. Aside from the mountain, you have the flat lands of the Rhone valley and the Inbetweeners like the gorges de la nesque (excuse spelling) which is an absolute joy on a bike. You'll love it all.
I am hoping it does not come as too much of a shock, to be frank. It would be an own goal if I arrived there with abraded delicacies and not wanting to sit on a bicycle for a few months.

That said, I will prepare for it and aim for minimum 200kms a week beforehand. I did 96kms around the Surrey Hills yesterday (which are quite tough, in fact) and around 100kms most Sundays. Normandy will have a few ups and downs, but the 500kms I am proposing up the Loire should be pretty gentle.
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Bice

Post by Bice »

foxyrider wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 7:47pm
Bice wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 8:09pm
foxyrider wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 7:35pm I've done some camping trips with a Giant SCR, not dissimilar to your Trek winter bike, except i was on 25c tyres. It might not be everyones choice but thats what i'd use, fit a decent rack and Robert's your mothers brother :D
But what about the lovely Diamant, which certainly flies along when light:

But whats it like loaded when the frame twists and gives a soggy ride? There's a good reason that most bikes have diamond frames, yes you can ride almost anything anywhere but there will be a cost somewhere along the line.
I agree about diamond frames, they are a stronger design. Which is probably why the Diamant had never been made up: it would have been an expensive bike, yet the wrong shape (and a bit heavy) for competitive riding. You would have to like touring to bother with it. In fact, I have never seen such a high quality step-through frame before, which is why I bought it (for £230, for those curious - while my Carlton Courette frame was £27).

Its handling is actually not bad, even when loaded - far better than the Carlton mixte frame, which sways alarmingly when full of shopping. I was wary going fast down hill, but that could just be the absence of a high cross bar. I was cautious banking it hard around corners, for eg: but then with 14kgs on the back that was sensible. Without any luggage, it is surprisingly good, although not as good as the Italian steel frames I have or the solid performing Trek.

A step-through frame on a laden bike has advantages, which other touring riders I was with were quick to appreciate.

Also, the Diamant is particularly good on gravel, as I can get >35mm tyres in the frame. The rim brakes mean it would have to be dry gravel, but riding over mud holds no attractions for me.
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Another vote for the Diamant from me.
But I'd do something about that saddle.
Bice

Post by Bice »

jimlews wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 11:49am Another vote for the Diamant from me.
But I'd do something about that saddle.
Good to hear some appreciation of the Diamant: it was more comfortable with the Brooks Swift saddle than the plastic one.
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Bice

Post by Bice »

I am not as grateful to the Trek as I should be, because it is an absolutely solid performer that has never let me down.

Well, except this, which was an unpleasant surprise, finding cracks in the front carbon forks six years ago. I must have hit a pothole at speed, probably coming down the South Downs. I replaced the forks and the new set seem fine (although they are black, so might be more difficult to spot cracks:

My favourite bike is steel: I like the aesthetics and the practicality, simplicity, ride quality etc and will put up with the extra weight. On the other hand, if the Trek does give out I would probably replace with carbon.

Here's a good reason for thanks at using a steel frame.

I broke the left fork of the Carlton five years ago while commuting in London. It was a surprise to find the fork completely severed when I looked down. But I also felt that it was still absorbing the road and taking weight, so I rode the bike slowly six miles home and it was fine. When I released the quick release in the bike stand, the fork just fell out.

I don't think the cracked carbon forks on the Trek would have been so forgiving had they failed while I was on top.

Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Bice wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 10:37amNormandy will have a few ups and downs
Maybe I suffer from rose-tinted hindsight, but I don't recall Normandy to the Loire being significantly hilly at all.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Seen those Raleigh forks fail like that before.
It's the fork crown design that's at fault here.
Those two sharp points create a "stress raiser" from which any crack will spread.
Also, the difference in thickness between the fork blade and the crown.
If replacing like for like. I would file those points until they are almost flush with the fork.

EDIT:
I wasn't suggesting that you replace the saddle, but it does look to be in need of some tension adjustment.
BUT, if you find it comfortable that way, then that's the main thing.
Bice

Post by Bice »

jimlews wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 1:17pm Seen those Raleigh forks fail like that before.
It's the fork crown design that's at fault here.
Those two sharp points create a "stress raiser" from which any crack will spread.
Also, the difference in thickness between the fork blade and the crown.
If replacing like for like. I would file those points until they are almost flush with the fork.

EDIT:
I wasn't suggesting that you replace the saddle, but it does look to be in need of some tension adjustment.
BUT, if you find it comfortable that way, then that's the main thing.
Good point about the saddle. I am very alert to Brooks saddles not being tight: they are the most uncomfortable of all if not. I don't use the Brooks Swift in winter. But I will check it out as it does look saggy in the photo. The leather is certainly nice and stiff, over softening them being a big mistake. I will check it out properly in the spring
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7