Rudge 'Bi-Frame' -a 'Proper' Folding Bike....?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pete75

Re: Rudge 'Bi-Frame' -a 'Proper' Folding Bike....?

Post by pete75 »

Bloody hell. Rudge have come down in the world. Time was, they made things like this and won the Isle of Man TT with them. It had one of the first successful four valve per cylinder engines.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
jb

Post by jb »

Yeah, shame the whole industry got stuck in a rut and refused to innovate or modernise beyond boring out the same old tired engine....
Cheers
J Bro
pete75

Post by pete75 »

jb wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 11:10pm Yeah, shame the whole industry got stuck in a rut and refused to innovate or modernise beyond boring out the same old tired engine....
Producing a four valve enegine the early 1930s was hardly stuck in a rut.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
jb

Post by jb »

pete75 wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 1:20pm
jb wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 11:10pm Yeah, shame the whole industry got stuck in a rut and refused to innovate or modernise beyond boring out the same old tired engine....
It was innovative then, it was afterwards the rut sticking started
Cheers
J Bro
pete75

Post by pete75 »

jb wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 4:45pm
pete75 wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 1:20pm
It was innovative then, it was afterwards the rut sticking started
Not really, because Rudge stopped making bikes in 1939. By then they were using aluminium for the cylinder heads which was also very innovative at the time.
jb

Post by jb »

I was more referring to the British bike manufacturing scene as a whole not Rudge. I owned two British bikes and I really liked rebuilding them and riding them over many years. But it glaringly obvious that there was a reluctance - from management at least - to do anything but the bare minimum to improve them or indeed start with a clean sheet for a new model. - Crank case castings still having magneto mounts long after they disappeared, crank cases from obsolete models straining under a cylinder casting it was never meant for, oil leaks from places it should have easily been able to design out, BSA trying to make forks on WW1 gun boring machines .
The Japs caught them with their trousers down and steamrolled past them even though the industry was certainly not short of innovative designers that were constantly held back by a reluctance to invest.
Maybe the experience of the cycle industry made them think the motor cycle industry would go the same way as workers plumped for car transport rather than bikes for commuting.
Cheers
J Bro
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

jb wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 10:09am I owned two British bikes and I really liked rebuilding them and riding them over many years. But it glaringly obvious that there was a reluctance - from management at least - to do anything but the bare minimum to improve them or indeed start with a clean sheet for a new model.
The Japs caught them with their trousers down and steamrolled past them even though the industry was certainly not short of innovative designers that were constantly held back by a reluctance to invest.
Maybe the experience of the cycle industry made them think the motor cycle industry would go the same way as workers plumped for car transport rather than bikes for commuting.
...the first shot across the bows of the British motorcycle industry were the vespa and lambretta scooters....
..up until then most people used motorcycles but because they couldn't afford a car..
..when these scooters were imported here was a mode of transport that offered some protection against the elements (especiallywhen fitted with a screen), required far less routine maintenance, easier to keep clean (and it wouldn't spray you with road muck, oil mist and grease), you could change a flat tyre without disturbing the brakes or drive chain* and was reasonably light weight to push should the worst happen...
Then the mini came out and changed everything..

(*something Mike Burrows was very keen on the cycle industry learning from)...

..some where in a back of a shed is a prototype sunbeam motorcycle fitted with an Austin A7 engine... car reliability in a motorcycle frame, shaft driven and water cooled.. might have been a game changer if management had actually thought about things instead of reacting :-)
rjb

Post by rjb »

here it is after a complete strip clean and rebuild.
The QR front brake hanger makes wheel removal to fold the bike simple.
search.php?keywords=rudge&t=3832&sf=msgonly
IMG_20230113_141116.jpg
IMG_20230113_141625.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Ooh nice - I'm very jealous
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Me too
I am here. Where are you?
scottg

Post by scottg »

Harley Davidson has made a business of being stuck in rut. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
DrSoupDragon

Post by DrSoupDragon »

Fascinated by these bikes, has anyone any measurements re the difference in the small/medium and large frame sizes?

i gather the medium is about 18.5 inch from crank to seat post centre, and the large 20.5 inch

any clues re wheelbase differences and other dimensions?

[for a 6'2'' bloke]

ta

liam
rjb

Post by rjb »

My small one shown above measures 19.5" from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube. :wink:

There's some measurements which Brucey has posted further back in this thread. The Large measures 21.5 so I expect the medium will be 20.5.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
cpg

Post by cpg »

I recently bought a pair of Bi-frames, each is a different size. The smaller one measured 19” from the centre of the bottom bracket to the centre point of the seat tube top tube joint and 19 3/4” from the centre of the bottom bracket to top of the seat tube. The larger one measured 20.5” from the centre of the bottom bracket to the centre point of the seat tube top tube joint and 21.5” from the centre of the bottom bracket to top of the seat tube. I am 5’8” and the smaller one was too small.
There is an old Shwinn catalogue on line that lists the Bi Frame sizes as 17”, 18” and 20.5”.
DrSoupDragon

Post by DrSoupDragon »

Ahh plainly looking at the bike on eBay etc, the head tube length is the give away to the larger size.

L