GPS device for real time navigation

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Psamathe

Re: GPS device for real time navigation

Post by Psamathe »

billyonabike wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 6:38pm ...
Also, do they work for hiking too?
I don't know about the 530 but the Garmin 1030/1040 does not work for hiking (apparently). I researched on Garmin's community forums some time back and universal view was "It wont". Something to do with what the GPS regards as moving and hiking is generally too slow.

eg
https://joyfultriathlete.com/can-you-use-garmin-edge-for-hiking/ wrote:A Garmin Edge GPS bike computer is not meant to be used for hiking. It filters automatically low-speed GPS drift and struggles to record low-speed movement even with auto-pause off. The map tracking is correct, but the distance displayed and recorded won’t be accurate.
But do some Googling and you might find other answers.

Ian
sjs

Post by sjs »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:45pm
I don't know about the 530 but the Garmin 1030/1040 does not work for hiking (apparently). I researched on Garmin's community forums some time back and universal view was "It wont". Something to do with what the GPS regards as moving and hiking is generally too slow.

eg
https://joyfultriathlete.com/can-you-use-garmin-edge-for-hiking/ wrote:A Garmin Edge GPS bike computer is not meant to be used for hiking. It filters automatically low-speed GPS drift and struggles to record low-speed movement even with auto-pause off. The map tracking is correct, but the distance displayed and recorded won’t be accurate.

Ian
Again, there's many a phone app that will cope very well with either hiking or cycling. But battery life, water resistance, getting trampled by cattle, etc etc etc
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

pretty much all my off road mountain bike routes are not on any maps......the fire roads usually are [but not the new ones] but the single track stuff is never on maps........I follow my nose, get lost now and again, find a way back eventually.......all part of the game.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Paulatic wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:04pm
Vantage wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 4:40pm Using a phone when mountain biking may not be the best advice. If it flys off the bar or a crash happens then chances are the phone won't survive very well if at all. Plus if the phone is nice and safe tucked away, it can still be used for calling for help.
I’ve ridden with people whose Garmin has fallen off and got lost. I’ve ridden with people who’s Garmin flew off into the path of a tractor. I’ve never rode with anyone whose phone in a quadlock has ever parted company.
Sweep and I have both had our etrex's fly from the handlebar. We both now have them secured with a lanyard.
Just because you're unaware of anyone who's phone has left the bar doesn't mean it can't happen.
If the phone dies on a ride, you're left with no phone and no GPS. If a GPS dies on a ride, you have the phone as backup.
I'm a prepared for worse case scenario type of chap.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I bought a 530. Sent it back. Navigation isn't its strong point compared with some Garmins. My old 800 was better for navigation. Replaced it with a Edge Explore or something of a similar name. The digit name , 530 etc, series tend to be geared towards the training features. Not entirely and navigation is fine but just a touch less useful than the Explore.At least in this price range. As said, they all work, just look at the maps pages before you buy.
billyonabike

Post by billyonabike »

mattsccm wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 8:48pm I bought a 530. Sent it back. Navigation isn't its strong point compared with some Garmins. My old 800 was better for navigation. Replaced it with a Edge Explore or something of a similar name. The digit name , 530 etc, series tend to be geared towards the training features. Not entirely and navigation is fine but just a touch less useful than the Explore.At least in this price range. As said, they all work, just look at the maps pages before you buy.
Thanks mate that's helpful - navigation is the only thing I'm interested in really, I'm not too interested in training features like heart rate or cadence - I just want to know where to aim the bike :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:45pm

eg

Ian
There are some connect IQ apps that let you log walking. I have 2 on my 1030 Plus - Simple Walk & Hike 2+ (I have them on my watch too). I mainly use the latter which does let you access the mapping, after a fashion. They are good for logging but not for navigation. I tend to use the 1030+ to log walks just because I then don't hammer the battery in my watch (Vivoactive 3). The only gotcha with Hike 2+ is that it disables all bike sensors & you have to switch them back on individually in the Edge sensor menu if you want them to work next time you ride.

I've used the Edge to follow a preplanned walking route but also recorded it on my watch, keeping the watch record & discarding the Edge one once I've finished navigation.

For off road cycling there is something called TrailForks, an IQ app on my 1030+ but I think ”baked” in on the 1040 series. I've heard it is quite good but never actually tried it myself
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Regurgatron

Post by Regurgatron »

I've ridden off-road with a Garmin 520 for years and navigation has been excellent.
Paulatic wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:04pm I’ve ridden with people whose Garmin has fallen off and got lost. I’ve ridden with people who’s Garmin flew off into the path of a tractor. I’ve never rode with anyone whose phone in a quadlock has ever parted company.
On the other hand, I've ridden with someone with a quadlock and their phone was FUBARed in a pretty innocuous crash. The 530 has a safety lanyard so no worries on the lost Garmin score.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Regurgatron wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 8:26am I've ridden off-road with a Garmin 520 for years and navigation has been excellent.
Paulatic wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:04pm I’ve ridden with people whose Garmin has fallen off and got lost. I’ve ridden with people who’s Garmin flew off into the path of a tractor. I’ve never rode with anyone whose phone in a quadlock has ever parted company.
On the other hand, I've ridden with someone with a quadlock and their phone was FUBARed in a pretty innocuous crash. The 530 has a safety lanyard so no worries on the lost Garmin score.
I watched a CyclingAbout youtube video a few days ago and he was saying how the QuadLock things fail after a period of time, but he also said how he loved them but then need replacing periodically. The one he showed "gone" was the phone case side of the circular mounting things had part broken away.

Relevant but 3:55 from start

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

For what it's worth I've been very impressed with this phone mount:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... =UTF8&th=1
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

An interesting thread.

Many years ago I used a Garmin Dakota which was really a hiking device but worked quite well with a bike mount.

It survived my high speed crash in Spain in 2011 and it was interesting to see that it continued to record the route when being taken to Guenica police station by the attending officer!! It has however made me reluctant to attach my phone to the bike especially with the weather issues but each to his own.

Since then I have used a Polar device and subsequently the Elemnt Roam.

I had a slight issue with the turn by turn navigation earlier in the year when trying to short cut my route back to Edinburgh. I thought that the countryside looked familiar and found I was on my way to the start of that day's route not an earlier route from Edinburgh. Don't ask.

Recently I updated to Version 2 to as it seemed that the screen would be clearer for my old eyes! Indeed it is but having set it up and starting a ride with 30% battery I was surprised that the battery ran out mid ride which had never happened with the original model. I wondered if the battery life was as good.

However Nearholmer seems to have inadvertently answered my question as the battery died not long after I switched on the turn by turn navigation which I don't normally use as my routes are fairly predictable. I didn't realise that the screen had such an impact on battery life, although I suppose it is obvious, and explains why the new brighter screened drained the battery when the old screen might not have done.
if one has a map on view on screen all the time, that places quite a demand on the battery, something which applies irrespective of the tech
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Roughly y ou find three groups of people. The first will recommend a phone. Fair enough but there are pros and cons including "why take a phone on a bike ride?"
The second will suggest a Garmin. The third will suggest a variety of other makes. Generally none of the groups accept the virtues of anything else :roll: :lol:
Much depends on the mapping on the device. If it shows enough detail it will be fine. OS maps need a big screen or you lose the over view if zoomed in enough to see. if it doesn't show, say, a footpath then you won't be following it so much as coloured line onthe screen. Works well enough.
Are you after a voice to tell you when to turn like a satnav? Meh. Why? The beep of almost any device will either tell you to turn or tell you to look at the screen. Remember, you are on a bike not a motorway.
As to models, well that is a matter of taste. I tried a 530 and sent it back. Too geared to data (admitedly many are) and not so for navigation. The Garmin Edge Explore did naviagtion better.
Best thing to do is look at a few in the shops and ask your mates. The only sure thing is that what ever you buy dozens of people will tell you are wrong.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mattsccm wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 6:00pm Roughly y ou find three groups of people. The first will recommend a phone. Fair enough but there are pros and cons including "why take a phone on a bike ride?"
The second will suggest a Garmin. The third will suggest a variety of other makes. Generally none of the groups accept the virtues of anything else :roll: :lol:
Much depends on the mapping on the device. If it shows enough detail it will be fine. OS maps need a big screen or you lose the over view if zoomed in enough to see. if it doesn't show, say, a footpath then you won't be following it so much as coloured line onthe screen. Works well enough.
Are you after a voice to tell you when to turn like a satnav? Meh. Why? The beep of almost any device will either tell you to turn or tell you to look at the screen. Remember, you are on a bike not a motorway.
As to models, well that is a matter of taste. I tried a 530 and sent it back. Too geared to data (admitedly many are) and not so for navigation. The Garmin Edge Explore did naviagtion better.
Best thing to do is look at a few in the shops and ask your mates. The only sure thing is that what ever you buy dozens of people will tell you are wrong.
This post is so wrong ...
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I use an Edge Explore for cycling navigation. I plan touted on cycle.travel and download them to the Garmin.
For walking I use a combination of the OS app on my phone and printed maps.
Both work well.
Richard M
Cardiff
JohnWL

Post by JohnWL »

I agonised over this for ages.

In the end for my recent trips (Cairngorm Loop, South Downs Way and Moray Way) almost by default I ended up using a "rugged " smartphone I'd bought for mtb'ing, walking, skiing etc which is shock proof and waterproof.

Battery life is great , camera and that sort of stuff is rubbish and it weighs a ton but it only cost £80.

I download my routes and the necessary tiles from Open Cycle Map so it's available when there's no signal. I've found it fine, accurate and simple to use. I have it on teh handlebar/stem with an elastic band thingy which has kept it in place no mattter where I've ridden.

I had too many issues with my Garmin, and the off road mapping did not have the contour detail I wanted.

I don't use any of the turn stuff whether visual or audio. Most of the time I'm going so slowly off there is little point !