Fitting a stand to a Genesis Tour de Fer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steve X

Fitting a stand to a Genesis Tour de Fer

Post by Steve X »

I have seen bikes with stands, and thought it looks a good idea. I am also pretty sure I have seen on one touring bike firms website, that fitting a stand, voids the warranty.

Last week I was chatting with a Dutch guy who has a Koga World Traveller, which he has sone about 10000km on and he has a stand on it and loves it. On his last bike which he had done 100,000km on he took off the stand and later regretted it.

I asked my friend who was party to the conversation about fitting a stand, and he harrumphed and said they are pointless.

Anyroads up, the point of my thread, is could any share any experience of retro fitting a stand on a bike, particularly Genesis Tour de Fer.
Nearholmer

Re: Fitting a stand to a Genesis Tour de Fer

Post by Nearholmer »

The TdeF that I had (not a bike that suited my needs, but a true beauty of a machine) came with a stand fitted, and if you look at the Genesis website I think all models do, so it may be worth contacting them to get a recommendation as to which type/make might be good. They do reply to enquiries via the contact form on the website: I asked them about touch-up paint for another bike only last week.

The stand Genesis supply is fitted to the dropout area (I can’t recall exactly how) in a way that doesn’t promote frame corrosion, which is always the risk with one fitted between the chain-stays.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thanks for that, I will contact Genesis.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Odd that the article doesn’t seem to mention the “dropout area” type.

Here is the one on my shopping bike. It wouldn’t be suitable for a TdeF, but it highlights the general location, and it happens to be a rock-solid stand, able to maintain uprightness with a hefty load of shopping in the panniers.
Attachments
07CE3130-0C0C-44D7-A8D0-D66CF2510F0B.jpeg
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Nearholmer wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 9:27am Odd that the article doesn’t seem to mention the “dropout area” type.................
3rd paragraph from the end (antepenultimate?)
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Sort of, but it’s talking about the clamp-on ones, as on my shopping bike.

Maybe the ones that fit to bolted-on brackets near the dropout hadn’t come about then.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've never understood the stand thing. I don't think I've stopped anywhere where there wasn't a wall, a tree or a bike stand - or failing those three very reliable options, the ground I arrived on...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)