France ,Coastal touring NICE etc etc

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
willcee

France ,Coastal touring NICE etc etc

Post by willcee »

I have been assisting a friend who asked my advice on his choice of machine for some light [ at this stage ] touring in the hinterland of Nice on the Cote d'Azur, where he has a place, he arrived last nite with details on a machine from Genesis croix de fer 20 bought on a black friday deal at a decent saving and today hes on the email ref tyres, Marathons, please could someone more knowledgeable than I give me their candid opinion..
. My cycle buddy uses these on his Giant road E drop bar E bike and likes them.. the size hes aiming at is somewhere around whats stock on the bike .40mm and hes aware there are several marathon types, I don't think at this stage hes heading onto unmade forestry tracks, but is an accomplished Nice cyclist as thats his only personal transport when he's there, he's been home since Easter had some work around his place here to tidy up and is heading back in his small dormobile mid December with his new machine..Thx ,Will..
ANTONISH

Re: France ,Coastal touring NICE etc etc

Post by ANTONISH »

willcee wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 4:33pm I have been assisting a friend who asked my advice on his choice of machine for some light [ at this stage ] touring in the hinterland of Nice on the Cote d'Azur, where he has a place, he arrived last nite with details on a machine from Genesis croix de fer 20 bought on a black friday deal at a decent saving and today hes on the email ref tyres, Marathons, please could someone more knowledgeable than I give me their candid opinion..
. My cycle buddy uses these on his Giant road E drop bar E bike and likes them.. the size hes aiming at is somewhere around whats stock on the bike .40mm and hes aware there are several marathon types, I don't think at this stage hes heading onto unmade forestry tracks, but is an accomplished Nice cyclist as thats his only personal transport when he's there, he's been home since Easter had some work around his place here to tidy up and is heading back in his small dormobile mid December with his new machine..Thx ,Will..
Is your friend going to tour on the "Croix de Fer"?
There are plenty of climbs but I assume the bike won't be electrically driven - or will it?
Marathons are hard wearing and puncture resistant - I find them heavy and a harsh ride - there are lighter alternatives such as Continental Gatorskins ( my summer tyres - reasonably puncture resistant but not as "grippy as Marathons) or continental 4 seasons ( my winter tyres reasonably puncture resistant and quite grippy)
willcee

Post by willcee »

Thanks for your input.. ime anything with a heavy tread is draggy on tarmac.. No he's human powered so its him and the Genesis.again like you when I was riding on human power I used lighter tyres, nowadays with E power I use 35's , 37 & 40'S and with the motor means that you don't have the same feel through the tyre as beforehand..will
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

willcee wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 8:26pm Thanks for your input.. ime anything with a heavy tread is draggy on tarmac.. No he's human powered so its him and the Genesis.again like you when I was riding on human power I used lighter tyres, nowadays with E power I use 35's , 37 & 40'S and with the motor means that you don't have the same feel through the tyre as beforehand..will
I've cycled the coast road from Nimes/Avignon/Nice and I've got to say, pretty that it is there's a lot of hills in the way, especially if you take the smaller roads. Human powered I'd opt for 28mm from the Continental brand. A good, fast tyre provider, and very quick on tarmac.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

This is my recommendation, a bit on the expensive side but you'll love the way they roll along French minor roads:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gr ... tyres-pair