New to Road biking

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Afcsam15

New to Road biking

Post by Afcsam15 »

Hello,
So I'm new to Road biking I live in London so quite quickly I have realised it acc is quite dangerous cycling. I got a Canondale the other day and jeez does it pick up speed. I'm use to mountain bikes but damn this goes quick and it's very fun. Any advice On how to meet people Cycling, safety measures, what clothes? Anything really thanks. Cycling is deffo the closest feeling to freedom for me. I find after a day on the bike it's like I've been in another world can't explain it. Sam.
Duradulo

Re: New to Road biking

Post by Duradulo »

I think we all know what you mean :)

In London you will have lots of groups and clubs to pick from - the Cycling UK groups are more at the relaxed end of the spectrum, or if you're keen to get into "proper" road riding there are a lot of clubs for that, again catering for a range of abilities. Think about whether you're more interested in nice scenery and a journey to somewhere, or the ride itself.

The most important thing to staying safe IMO is to keep your wits about you, know the rules of the road but don't rely on others to, and ride within your limits. Clothing-wise, it will depend on the kind of riding you'll be doing. Go along and see what others wear (bear in mind that it's easy - and often unnecessary - to spend big bucks).
Afcsam15

Post by Afcsam15 »

Thank you
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Afcsam15 wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:35pm Cycling, safety measures, what clothes?
Reflective clothing is of benefit. And whilst many wouldn't dream of it, I actually find the high visibility vests an individual would wear on a construction site, or roadworks are amongst the best :wink: (Nb. Such vests are incredibly cheap, are easy to to carry in any old bag and vests to BS EN471 standard (Nb. Common standard), have perhaps several times the reflective area of an incredibly expensive, cycle specific top). Not suitable for long distance "cycle rides", but great for any form of commuting or shopping after dark.

And aside from ensuring the bike meets legally required lighting standards (Front/rear/pedal reflectors, front & rear light), I'd always ensure the number & "brightness" of reflectors & lights fitted, exceed the legal requirement. My bike has rarely been on the road after dark, over the past 3-4 years, so is fitted purely to a legally compliant standard. But even if I were only commuting for twenty minutes within the local small town, I'd immediately have my high intensity, dynamo lights and additional reflectors fitted.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

gbnz wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 10:21am
Afcsam15 wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:35pm Cycling, safety measures, what clothes?
Reflective clothing is of benefit. And whilst many wouldn't dream of it, I actually find the high visibility vests an individual would wear on a construction site, or roadworks are amongst the best :wink: (Nb. Such vests are incredibly cheap, are easy to to carry in any old bag and vests to BS EN471 standard (Nb. Common standard), have perhaps several times the reflective area of an incredibly expensive, cycle specific top). Not suitable for long distance "cycle rides", but great for any form of commuting or shopping after dark.

And aside from ensuring the bike meets legally required lighting standards (Front/rear/pedal reflectors, front & rear light), I'd always ensure the number & "brightness" of reflectors & lights fitted, exceed the legal requirement. My bike has rarely been on the road after dark, over the past 3-4 years, so is fitted purely to a legally compliant standard. But even if I were only commuting for twenty minutes within the local small town, I'd immediately have my high intensity, dynamo lights and additional reflectors fitted.
This is good advice - I don't often ride in the dark now but on the rare occasions when I'm on an audax after dark I have a long sleeved "industrial" orange jacket - it's quite light and fine for cycling in.
I also have high intensity dynamo lighting.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

You shouldn't need anything! No other road user has the right not to see you assuming you stick to the rules.
However there are iduiots everywhere. Maybe watch other cyclists and see what you find is noticeable and then see what suits you.
Contasting outfits work well. Flouro green is useless in rural areas in the spring and orange can be worthless in autumn. Pale colours work well most of the time . Think about its appearance in a black and white photo. Ignore this in very dense fog!
Be seasonable. Battery powered fairy lights work well :lol:
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Lfgss.com is a good place to start. It's a huge London based forum with lots activities and events and seems like a genuine community of cyclists. The forum can be a bit boisterous, but as long as you're fairly polite you'll get on fine!

They also have a very big classifieds section, with good bargains and a huge selection of frames and bikes.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

mattsccm wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 9:03pm You shouldn't need anything! No other road user has the right not to see you assuming you stick to the rules.
in a perfect world where all drivers were 100% on their game this would be true.

The reality is folk playing with their phones only paying 50% attention to the road ahead, and then there is the frightening reality of those who can't see properly, from not wearing glasses when they should be, to cataracts. Lots of lights and bright reflective clothing just gave you a better chance of being seen.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

If you are interested in single speed and collectable bikes, there's a huge section on Lfgss for that also. Some pretty funky bicycles! :x
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Like this for instance;
Attachments
72f6e1a56d77fbfc223c893a484509aec80b12ee.jpg
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

That is a version of the revolutionary design used by Fransesco Moser to set a new Hour record in 1984

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ike-287395
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Afcsam15 wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:35pm Hello,
So I'm new to Road biking I live in London so quite quickly I have realised it acc is quite dangerous cycling. I got a Canondale the other day and jeez does it pick up speed. I'm use to mountain bikes but damn this goes quick and it's very fun. Any advice On how to meet people Cycling, safety measures, what clothes? Anything really thanks. Cycling is deffo the closest feeling to freedom for me. I find after a day on the bike it's like I've been in another world can't explain it. Sam.
I go for bright stuff - yellow jacket, yellow gloves (so my hand signals can actually be seen) yellow socks (no, really!) and white headgear especially at this time of year - no black clothing and reliance on a pinprick light for me I'm afraid, I want to be seen for what I am from as far away as possible!

Do you have any scope for hopping on a train and getting out into the countryside? If so, go for it when you get the chance, there's nowt like it.

I regularly cycle into Birmingham town centre on the cycle paths/through parks as well as on the roadways, however none of these can compare with going outwards, as it were. And if you are an NT member you can pick out some routes to your favourite properties and thier cafes!

I do find my handlebar mirror very useful especially when there's lots of traffic about, can keep aware of whats around me much more easily than keeping turning to look behind me.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Afcsam15 wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:35pm Hello,
So I'm new to Road biking I live in London ...
Hi Sam, and welcome. Sympathies re London and good luck riding there.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Dingdong wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:07am Like this for instance;
Like the Obby oss. Did he run with it. 24" gear (2 feet) :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Afcsam15 wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:35pm So I'm new to Road biking I live in London so quite quickly I have realised it acc is quite dangerous cycling. I got a Canondale the other day and jeez does it pick up speed.
Funnily enough I feel safer riding round London then I do in the country. Out in the wild I find cars thrash past me on narrow roads. Giving me little space. I'm sure it more just perceived due to speed, as never been knocked off out in the country.

In London pedestrians have always been the biggest danger. Or nowadays other cyclists who swerve around the bike lanes. 20 years in London and three accidents. 1 squeezed near pavement and grounded a pedal on a fixie . 2 pedestrian randomly stepped into a road. 3 some yobs hit me with a firework. No cars buses or motorbikes involved!

Bike makes a huge difference in stop start urban areas. Road bike with long wheel base and stretched out riding are not ideal.