Extended vestibule for one person

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
deejayen

Extended vestibule for one person

Post by deejayen »

I'm hoping to do some overnight cycle camping trips soon - maybe go for a short ride after work on a Friday, camp for the night, then do some more riding on Saturday morning.

I've got some small tents (Macpac Minaret, Macpac Microlight clone, a lightweight 1-person Terra Nova Solar something-or-other) and have also used bivy bags etc. The Minaret is the largest, being listed as a 2-person tent. Previous cycle camping trips have generally been of a minimalist nature - eg saddlebag with bivy gear - and I've not taken a tent for years. A new bike which is capable of carrying a touring load is on its way to me, hence I'm considering a slightly more luxurious style of camping!

The nights are currently quite long, so I might end up being in the tent more than normal. I'm not sure what I'd do to pass the time, but think I might end up doing some cooking on a Trangia - maybe stews and meals which need to be simmered.

I'm wondering if a slightly roomier tent, and especially one with an extended porch (along the lines of a Hilleberg GT model) might be worth having, or are they overkill for one person? I'm also wondering if they might be useful for drying\changing if you arrive at camp soaking wet. Presumably, most get on fine with a regular tent, so I'd be interested to hear what works, and any tips on how to make life comfortable during winter touring.
simonineaston

Re: Extended vestibule for one person

Post by simonineaston »

As a fan of Hilly (and their ilk) tents, my v. quick summary is that the bigger vestibule from the 3rd pole is very much worth it for folks travelling in pairs (or more), but for solo trips, not worth it really, especially when you factor in the extra expense, weight and time spent raising and striking camp.
This being a tent topic, others will be along shortly with all sorts of different opinions :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

how to make life comfortable during winter touring.
What's worked for me is lots of cheap dry-bags off of Amazon, 'specially the ones in various colours. They're a bit of misnomer these days as the thin, light ones I've favoured aren't really proper dry bags in the sense a kayaker would recognise, but I've found they're super useful for keeping everything separate, organised and reasonably dry, bearing in mind stuff that gets wet often has to go back into panniers that have nice clean dry things in and never the twain should meet, really.
But you may already know all that...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
horizon

Post by horizon »

I'm wondering if a slightly roomier tent, and especially one with an extended porch (along the lines of a Hilleberg GT model) might be worth having, or are they overkill for one person?
I have a Robens Voyager 2EX. A huge amount of room and ideal for spending time in. But it is heavy for one (though not too complicated to put up). Ideally I would like a one person tent with an extension. AFAIK (and I repeat, only AFAIK) such a tent doesn't exist.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

You can get quite a lot of the benefit of an extended porch with a dismountable inner (typically the case with all-in-one pitches, and implicit with fly-first pitches). If you want more "dirty space" just unhook the inner, or part of it, and there it is.

People typically seem to think the main disadvantage of inner-first designs is putting them up in the rain, but for me the real issue is you can't take the inner down for more party space, covered garage space, changing when wet space etc.
horizon wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 9:16pm Ideally I would like a one person tent with an extension. AFAIK (and I repeat, only AFAIK) such a tent doesn't exist.
Lightwave used to do the t0xt solo extended tunnel which was exactly that, but I just had a look and it's no longer in the lineup.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks very much.

Yes, the t10 XT was an interesting option.

Perhaps a 'standard' tent with two vestibules (such as a Hilleberg Kaitum) rather than an extended porch (such as a Nallo 2 GT) might be an alternative, especially if they have a larger inner tent. Having said that, I've never been totally convinced by Hillebergs. Plus, part of me is still something of a gram-counter.

I've got tents with a front vestibule and with a side vestibule, but strangely, haven't really thought which might be better for spending time in. Usually when I'm camping, I just crawl in and go to sleep.

I'm also still undecided about inner-first pitching tents. I like the idea of having a taut inner, but the two times I've taken my Terra Nova car camping it was extremely windy and I struggled to get it pitched - it looked like it was going to be damaged (extremely light materials and flimsy pole), so I packed it away and used a Macpac I'd taken along as backup. Not being able to unhook the inner is another disadvantage I hadn't really considered.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

deejayen wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 12:27pm ...
I'm also still undecided about inner-first pitching tents. I like the idea of having a taut inner, but the two times I've taken my Terra Nova car camping it was extremely windy and I struggled to get it pitched - it looked like it was going to be damaged (extremely light materials and flimsy pole), so I packed it away and used a Macpac I'd taken along as backup. Not being able to unhook the inner is another disadvantage I hadn't really considered.
My Hilleberg Rogen pitches with both inner and fly already joined (take down as one as well. But you can separate them - something I've done after a wet night when packing-up (take down the dry inner with fly still pitched and pack separately from fly).

Ian
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

deejayen wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 12:27pm
Perhaps a 'standard' tent with two vestibules (such as a Hilleberg Kaitum) rather than an extended porch (such as a Nallo 2 GT) might be an alternative, especially if they have a larger inner tent.
That's the very specific route we've gone down, choosing the Kaitum over am extended porch one-ended tunnel like the Nallo GT. There's still loads of porch space and with a door/porch each I just find general living with two on board easier. Even one-up I prefer two doors whether that's each end or each side.
deejayen wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 12:27pm Having said that, I've never been totally convinced by Hillebergs. Plus, part of me is still something of a gram-counter.
If you're a gram-counter that's a pretty good reason not to like Hilles! Personally I'm a big fan because I find all the things they spend money on are things that matter to me and their idea of where to put the compromises inherent in lightweight tent design seem to align well to mine. But you can certainly buy perfectly acceptable tents for a lot less, and if your priorities mean lighter then better can be had for a lot less.
deejayen wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 12:27pm I've got tents with a front vestibule and with a side vestibule, but strangely, haven't really thought which might be better for spending time in. Usually when I'm camping, I just crawl in and go to sleep.
I have both options too. Not really fussed where the porches/doors are as long as I can easily get at both and they're a generous size.
deejayen wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 12:27pm I'm also still undecided about inner-first pitching tents. I like the idea of having a taut inner, but the two times I've taken my Terra Nova car camping it was extremely windy and I struggled to get it pitched - it looked like it was going to be damaged (extremely light materials and flimsy pole), so I packed it away and used a Macpac I'd taken along as backup. Not being able to unhook the inner is another disadvantage I hadn't really considered.
You can get a taut inner with all-in-one pitching, Exhibit A is the Hilleberg Tarra. If you're sat inside there's really not that much difference between it and a Quasar. But pitching the Tarra in a hoolie is significantly easier (as it should be with its price tag!)

Pete.
Jonathan Hanson

Post by Jonathan Hanson »

I carry an Anjan 2 GT for solo bike touring and love the extra space and height of the poled vestibule. It's well worth the slight extra weight, both for cooking in and privacy for washing when necessary.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jonathan Hanson wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 2:36pm I carry an Anjan 2 GT for solo bike touring and love the extra space and height of the poled vestibule. It's well worth the slight extra weight, both for cooking in and privacy for washing when necessary.
The Anjan 2GT is almost an inch-for-inch knock-off copy* of the Robens Voyager 2EX (which I have), However it's about a kg lighter (and £800 more expensive!). Like you, I really appreciated the extra, separated space. One evening I arrived in torrential rain that didn't look as though it was going to stop: the outer went up first, then the inner and then all the wet panniers and gear into the vestibule. The inner was of course pristine. Some messy cooking later and more wet jackets and boots into the vestibule. I unpacked the sleeping bag etc under cover and put it all in the inner.

The Voyager does have an extra door and is polyester which will account for the extra weight. It also feels incredibly sturdy and on the same trip faced gale force winds. It is heavy though (around 3.2 kg) and it maybe that the Anjan squares this particular circle by simply going hell-for-leather for light weight. Whichever tent though, the configuration is perfect.

* That's tongue in cheek of course!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

horizon wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 10:30pm ...maybe that the Anjan squares this particular circle by simply going hell-for-leather for light weight. Whichever tent though, the configuration is perfect.
No Hillebergs really go hell for leather for light weight. They even go out of their way to point that out:
Our ultimate aim is not to make the lightest tents, but, within their performance range, the lightest, strongest, most reliable, dependable, comfortable and durable ones.
The caveat is, as they say, striking the balance in a performance range, while also noting that to some (but only some) degree you can eke out performance by throwing money at materials and execution.
I think it would be fair to say that for most UK cycle touring Hille Yellow Label is a reasonable "performance range" match.
horizon wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 10:30pm Whichever tent though, the configuration is perfect.
For some values of perfect, that is. My preference is two doors/porches so I'd take a Helags or Rogen over an extended single porch. As well as a back door it also concentrates the volume in the inner which I prefer.

Pete.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The Voyager has a "front" door as well (or at least my model does, the latest ones might have discontinued it). For two people, that door might well have been better as a "back" door at the end of the sleeping compartment. For me though the tunnel with extension is indeed the perfect configuration. I would even be happy with ridge tent with a ridge extension (as the Force Tens used to have in fact).
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks very much. I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of various tent designs, but am finding this style of tent quite appealing. The info about the Anjan and similar tents is helpful - I've previously discounted many of the yellow-label tents, but now realise they might be a good choice when cycling, as I'd try to avoid cycling in severe winter conditions.

One disadvantage with an extended vestibule tent is the length of pitch required (over 4 metres) which could be a problem in some locations.
DinoD

Post by DinoD »

I just used the tent I had Vango 3per and although adequate for two people defo not three. I’ve used it on my own and on two occasions when I’ve been in a situation I decided to hall the bike inside with me. Makes for easier sleeping not having to wonder if it’s still there in the morning. I’m prepared to carry the extra weight for that reason alone.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 10:30pm
Jonathan Hanson wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 2:36pm I carry an Anjan 2 GT for solo bike touring and love the extra space and height of the poled vestibule. It's well worth the slight extra weight, both for cooking in and privacy for washing when necessary.
The Anjan 2GT is almost an inch-for-inch knock-off copy* of the Robens Voyager 2EX (which I have), However it's about a kg lighter (and £800 more expensive!). Like you, I really appreciated the extra, separated space. One evening I arrived in torrential rain that didn't look as though it was going to stop: the outer went up first, then the inner and then all the wet panniers and gear into the vestibule. The inner was of course pristine. Some messy cooking later and more wet jackets and boots into the vestibule. I unpacked the sleeping bag etc under cover and put it all in the inner.

The Voyager does have an extra door and is polyester which will account for the extra weight. It also feels incredibly sturdy and on the same trip faced gale force winds. It is heavy though (around 3.2 kg) and it maybe that the Anjan squares this particular circle by simply going hell-for-leather for light weight. Whichever tent though, the configuration is perfect.

* That's tongue in cheek of course!
Isn't it also the same design as the Vango Spirit 200+? - now discontinued I think but reborn I think under some other name in Vango's ongoing quest for maximising tentbrand confusion.
I rather like Vango (and Robens) but am not as much of a fan of that design as I was initially.
Once in the tent's inner sanctum you can't see out easily, even in kind weather. And if you have lots of junk you have to climb out over it.
Also it's essentially a tunnel tent and I favour geo free-standing designs.
Stronger also I think.
Personally I'd always go for strength simplicity and cost-saving over really minimising weight.
Sweep