Help buying mountain bike under £100

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DevonDamo

Re: Help buying mountain bike under £100

Post by DevonDamo »

simonhill wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:36amUnfortunately even though I've suggested this before, many can't resist replying - why, hold off for a while.
I've done the same, but given up. This forum is a soft target, and that's down to a couple of factors including the demographic. I've given up on doing anything more than posting a comment, so that those who do bother reading the thread are forewarned and can save themselves the effort of a wasted reply or clicking on a dodgy link
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 8:50am
DevonDamo wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 8:40am I always ask myself whether it's likely that a new forum member would have really signed up to ask their question, rather than just get an instant answer via a Google search… it's probably just me being a beastly cynic, so as you were. Carry on clicking those links - hopefully they're safe, and won't later be edited to sites that aren't.
Another cynic here. This sort of thing, where a first time poster asks a question - and often never or barely returns, seems to be getting more commonplace. I hope to be proved wrong, but it feels as though some are taking advantage of regular forum members’ goodwill. But since I’m here, and for what it’s worth, in my humble opinion a 54cm bike is going to be too big for someone 1.69m tall.

I didn’t click on any of the links.
i get away with a 54 top tube at the same height , is a stock "small " frame for road bikes assuming your measuring the top tube .I do generally run a 90 mm stem with standard reach bars
Agree though regarding the original poster multi posting on various forums never to reply
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I rather assumed that the 54cm measurement was for the seat tube. As it happens I’m 1.73m tall and I have one 54cm road bike, also with a 90mm stem. Any longer than that and I would find it too much of a stretch.