Bari - Pisa or further

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Squibnocket

Bari - Pisa or further

Post by Squibnocket »

Looking into cycle camping/ hostels with minimal gear next June from Bari - Pisa, mainly following the coast with some inland detours.
Done a quick search for campsites etc and not had much luck. Can anybody offer advice etc or recommend sites they've been to ?
Any advice would be great.
Grazie
nirakaro

Re: Bari - Pisa or further

Post by nirakaro »

Italians don't much do camping – they like to look stylish, which camping isn't – so campsites are few and far between, especially in the south, and often in places where foreign tourists go. Rome, obviously, and there's a good one (two?) in Pompeii, and also in Pisa. Elsewhere, if they exist they may be more holiday-camp style places, with swimming pools, restaurants, discos etc, and prices to match.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The campsite at Pisa nearest to the Leaning Tower was the most expensive we stayed at in Italy.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Keep us updated on plans. I am idly thinking of a warm up week trip to Puglia in early spring using Bari airport and flying BA from Gatwick.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/375756

If you haven’t come across the cycling in Italy site before it’s useful. https://italy-cycling-guide.info/tips-a ... -in-italy/
Squibnocket

Post by Squibnocket »

Thanks for the replies, think it'll be budget hotels/ B&Bs then !
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

https://www.camping.it/en/
Camping can be expensive, for a little more you can get private rooms
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Squibnocket wrote: 3 Nov 2022, 9:53pm Looking into cycle camping/ hostels with minimal gear next June from Bari - Pisa, mainly following the coast with some inland detours.
Done a quick search for campsites etc and not had much luck. Can anybody offer advice etc or recommend sites they've been to ?
Any advice would be great.
Grazie
I cycled from Pescara to Bari (part of a longer tour) nearly 25 years ago and it was difficult to find a place to camp and even find any accommodation that was available due to it being high season. I ended up sleeping on the beach a few times which turned out to be lovely. I just picked a spot out of the way or near some fishermen and just slept in my sleeping bag on my Thermarest.

Part of the rest of my journey was between Firenze (Florence) and Pescara. There were some good campsites and also some Hostel Internationals (HI) in some interesting old buildings including former monasteries and convents. Italy is not cheap, though. But very enjoyable.
delilah

Post by delilah »

I've done Pisa through Tuscany to Elba and back along the coast to Pisa. Pm me if the route is of any interest to you.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

delilah wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 3:13pm I've done Pisa through Tuscany to Elba and back along the coast to Pisa. Pm me if the route is of any interest to you.
Airbnb is still relatively cheap in this area, though in the North and France/Germany the price has nearly doubled since January.
Last edited by Dingdong on 29 Nov 2022, 2:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its really easy to locate all campsites using Google Maps. Trace your route zoom into each area you want to camp and type 'camping' into the search box. All the campsites large and small will be flagged. Click on each flag for further details and campsite websites. Dead simple

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......