Hydrogen fuel cell batteries?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Dingdong

Hydrogen fuel cell batteries?

Post by Dingdong »

Are they so far away away in technology/affordability terms?
Dingdong

Re: Hydrogen fuel cell batteries?

Post by Dingdong »

Oops simple Google search throws up this! But it doesn't mention range, only '100w battery':

https://azurebikes.com/shop/hydrogen-fu ... c-bicycle/
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Dingdong wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 10:55am Oops simple Google search throws up this! But it doesn't mention range, only '100w battery':

It mentions a range of 50 - 100 km, battery dependent, further down in the text you have linked.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Airsporter1st wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:06am
Dingdong wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 10:55am Oops simple Google search throws up this! But it doesn't mention range, only '100w battery':

It mentions a range of 50 - 100 km, battery dependent, further down in the text you have linked.
Ah... Is there any possibility of this coming to the mass market anytime soon? Also what kind of cost is hydrogen fuel?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I'd be amazed if hydrogen is a better alternative for an e-bike than Li batteries.

As well as the hydrogen storage, you also need the fuel cell, efficiency is <<100%, and hydrogen volumetric energy density is barely better than a battery.

Just take a spare battery if range is a problem. Take two if it's a big problem.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:13am I'd be amazed if hydrogen is a better alternative for an e-bike than Li batteries.

As well as the hydrogen storage, you also need the fuel cell, efficiency is <<100%, and hydrogen volumetric energy density is barely better than a battery.

Just take a spare battery if range is a problem. Take two if it's a big problem.
I suppose there's always the green argument: that hydrogen power is really the least polluting of all, in production and use.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Dingdong wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:29am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:13am I'd be amazed if hydrogen is a better alternative for an e-bike than Li batteries.

I suppose there's always the green argument: that hydrogen power is really the least polluting of all, in production and use.
I'd very strongly disagree with that. Hydrogen is far more inefficient than batteries for propulsion; I think you need something like three times the electricity generation if you use hydrogen. You get losses with electrolysis, compression, transmission and again at the fuel cell. Compression losses in particular are huge - I think hydrogen is stored at about 700 atmospheres from memory. You need high pressure because of the very low density - due to the low molecular weight. If you see hydrogen being transported on the roads, it's in multiple high pressure "bullets" on a truck rather than a single tank for this reason. The round cycle efficiency of Li batteries, on the other hand is something like 70 or eighty percent.

The extra environmental damage in producing all that extra 'leccy I suggest would far outweigh any other advantages. And I'm not sure how hydrogen production is greener than 'leccy, given you need the 'leccy to make the hydrogen.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Here's the VW analysis of the alternatives

For a bike, the battery is even more compelling, I think

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/st ... stion.html