life online

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
sussex cyclist

life online

Post by sussex cyclist »

I wasn't a particularly early adopter of the internet. When I finally jumped in I landed in usenet - uk.rec.cycling, if memory serves.

In 2000 I started my first construction project/labour of love: BikeReader. This involved contacting lots of people (including this guy) to get permission to reprint their stories. I even got The Guardian to visit.

In 2005 I tried my hand at running Another Cycling Forum. That lasted about three years, spawning 'Yet Another Cycling Forum'. Finally there's Not Another Cycling Forum, where I currently blog, and this is beginning to sound like a franchise. I was also briefly admin at the old C+ forum, if anybody remembers the days before BikeRadar.

So that's my CV. This is a thread to share yours.
Dingdong

Re: life online

Post by Dingdong »

I first went online in 1999, when dial up made a nice reassuring burble on connect!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

1989: joined the internet (via JANET at university)
1990: left internet in disgust

2007 - present day: key, influential, much-praised and much-cited contributor to most significant cycling fora (including some mentioned above).
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

I came across Mike Reed's Flame Warriors again. It's fun matching people up (present company excluded I'm sure – I've never made a close study of CUKF). Even more amusing to see how much of yourself you can catch in the mirrors.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Dingdong wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 10:57am I first went online in 1999, when dial up made a nice reassuring burble on connect!
2001 for us.
We were still dial-up when I discovered CTC Forum.

Been on other fora too, though lapsed. Cars, mainly.
Mini, Fiat 500, Toyota Yaris.

None of them have been a patch on the camaraderie of this. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

My computer at the time was a Mac Colour Classic SE. Seems like a million years ago now.... :lol:
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

It did require some #repairs!
Attachments
Screenshot_20221129-114623~2.png
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I think life online, when reviewed by whatorwhoever comes after us, will have turned out to be an important component in our inability to adapt. Truly, the noise of people babbling, foreseen in the story of the city & tower of Babel... many more times as divisive as any help at all.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Can't remember when I first went on-line, probably ~1995 with AOL or Compuserve. I know I did my first website in 1997, for a manufacturing jeweller in Germany.

I first used the Internet in the 80s to receive code from a bunch in the US, down a phone line at something like 300 bd via an audio coupler. It crapped out so often that we gave it up and they sent us a tape via FedEx, which was probably faster and cheaper.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 10:50am I think life online, when reviewed by whatorwhoever comes after us, will have turned out to be an important component in our inability to adapt. Truly, the noise of people babbling, foreseen in the story of the city & tower of Babel... many more times as divisive as any help at all.
In Neal Stephenson's Fall; or Dodge in Hell he makes the comment that the ability of people to agree on matters of fact not immediately visible - things removed from them in time and space - ramped up from a baseline of approximately zero to a pretty high level around the time of the scientific revolution and stayed there, becoming more or less global up through the '60s & '70s. Then the Internet came along and it dropped to zero.

This is relevant: https://youtu.be/ww47bR86wSc
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As a general comment, I think the human animal was better off when we had simpler lives - ie get up, go to field, dig up turnip, return to hovel & eat turnip, fall asleep. Repeat.
I don't think we're properly adapted to cope with the unceasing flood of information - and the attendant decisions - we face today...
I shall add to that flood by viewing the linked video shortly :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:51am As a general comment, I think the human animal was better off when we had simpler lives - ie get up, go to field, dig up turnip, return to hovel & eat turnip, fall asleep. Repeat.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:51am As a general comment, I think the human animal was better off when we had simpler lives - ie get up, go to field, dig up turnip, return to hovel & eat turnip, fall asleep. Repeat.
And die an old man at 37. Or live to be a crone and get burnt for witchcraft.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Audax67 wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 2:26pm
And die an old man at 37. Or live to be a crone and get burnt for witchcraft.
37 is a good age, in some parts of Manchester! :lol:
S68

Post by S68 »

Looking back on my life I think I actually liked the world more when I was youngster growing up in the 70s-80s-90s living a simple life without much tech/gadgetry but I don't think I could survive now without the internet. It was a total game-changer.