Inline hydraulic cable greaser

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dr pepper

Inline hydraulic cable greaser

Post by Dr pepper »

Is there a hydraulic greaser that will fit to a brake / gear cable and shove grease down it, one that fits on a cable outer while the inner is still in it.
I have one but I have to strip out the inner cable every time to use it.
rareposter

Re: Inline hydraulic cable greaser

Post by rareposter »

They don't need it.
A light dab of grease is sufficient to last the lifetime of a cable, they don't need wads of grease forcing down them routinely.

Quicker and easier to just replace a cable when it's worn or starts showing signs of rust or fraying.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It depends on the bend radii of the cables and their length.
On my Moulton, I fitted one of these on the rear mech cable, and one on the front brake cable.
I inject an aerosol of Silicone grease every month or so.

https://activesport.co/MIddleburn-Cable ... nline-Lube
Mick F. Cornwall
Dr pepper

Post by Dr pepper »

Interesting idea.
My front brake cable is full length down to the disc, and I'm wondering whether to make the rear shifter all one as road salt gets in it riding every day all weather.
I have one of those cheap spray can oilers but it struggles on the longer runs.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

If you Google hydraulic cable oiler, then one should appear and there may be u tube clips as how to use it.. They are originally intended for motorcycle maintenance - so you may want to check the rubber shims which are supplied to ensure that they can hold a bicycle cable.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Dr pepper wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 11:23pm Interesting idea.
My front brake cable is full length down to the disc, and I'm wondering whether to make the rear shifter all one as road salt gets in it riding every day all weather.
You mention " cable " and " disc " in the same sentence. Therein lies the problem.
I am here. Where are you?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Dr pepper wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 11:23pm Interesting idea.
I'm wondering whether to make the rear shifter all one as road salt gets in it riding every day all weather.
I run full length outers and inners. The inners are stainless steel and I use both without any cable lining. However I do cover the cable inner with lithium grease before popping it through the outer. The gear cable is made up if two pieces, spilt midway by a cable oiler connection, however as yet I've never had to use it.. occasionally I'd loosen both brake cables and pop the cables out of the brakes levers, tie them up with a bit of string so cable barrels are pointing upwards and run a couple of drops of some light engine oil into the brake cables.
I use a friction gear lever with my derailleur so I wouldn't notice any loss of precision in gear shifting when comparing a full length outers cables vs non-full length outer cable
Dr pepper

Post by Dr pepper »

I have a 3 section outer on my gear shifter, and they are stainless no liners, after a few months of esp winter riding my clicky shifter gets so stiff I'm worried about pulling the nipple off the cable.
Detergent type oil is good for oiling cables, stable grease I think even better.
So are you saying full length is more reliable, I spose it would reduce entry points for crud.
Many moons ago as a kid I had a 3 speed hub that had a solid core shift cable, I dont think they'll make those anymore.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Middleburn make them. Useful for any bike with a U-shaped cable run, which turns into a sump when it's wet. GT85 blasts the water out.
crg

Post by crg »

Mick F wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 7:58am It depends on the bend radii of the cables and their length.
On my Moulton, I fitted one of these on the rear mech cable, and one on the front brake cable.
I inject an aerosol of Silicone grease every month or so.

https://activesport.co/MIddleburn-Cable ... nline-Lube
Do these work as a cable stop?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, they wouldn't.

They are the same internal diameter at each end. They are designed to fit within the run of the cable.

You remove the inner, cut the outer where you want the oiler, and fit the cut ends into it. You then re-insert your inner and connect up normally.
Mick F. Cornwall