Like a Bull in a China Shop

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dingdong

Like a Bull in a China Shop

Post by Dingdong »

Part of me is hoping that this is the beginning of something in China and not a flash in the pan revolt. Apparently the protests began when 10 people were burned to death in a locked down apartment with inadequate fire escape.

The symbol of protest is a blank sheet of A4 paper, to symbolise mass censorship. Have the Chinese people finally had enough of the totalitarian regime which watches their every move, records their every misdemeanor and marks them with a 'social score ', allowing or restricting freedoms?

When does enough become 'enough'?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-63783865
fossala

Re: Like a Bull in a China Shop

Post by fossala »

Attachments
506C7601-0BED-442D-BF49-164581FDDC96.jpeg
fossala

Post by fossala »

It’s interesting how protests are reported depending on what country it’s happening in. Propaganda is strong, a good example is this. https://mobile.twitter.com/thestuffofme ... 0380797962
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

One saying I will never forget, is that "History is Written by the Winners".

Christ is quoted as, "What is truth?"
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 8:45pmChrist is quoted as, "What is truth?"
Pontius Pilate.

John 18:37-38

Jonathan
fossala

Post by fossala »

Mick F wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 8:45pm One saying I will never forget, is that "History is Written by the Winners".

Christ is quoted as, "What is truth?"
That’s why we know that we lied about Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, Vietnam the list is around 50 countries since World War Two.

You know this Mick, you spent years apart of the imperialist resource stealing, slavery peddling machine.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

The repression in China is absolute, upheld weeks enforced by massive arrays of tech and internet monitoring. They have the best facial recognition software on the planet, literally you can't go anywhere or do anything without being observed.

And they are desperately trying to sell yours software/hardware solution to the west. Over my dead body.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Dingdong wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 9:29pm The repression in China is absolute, upheld weeks enforced by massive arrays of tech and internet monitoring. They have the best facial recognition software on the planet, literally you can't go anywhere or do anything without being observed.

And they are desperately trying to sell yours software/hardware solution to the west. Over my dead body.
Over your dead body? You going to mount an armed insurrection? Maybe bay of pigs style?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 8:45pm One saying I will never forget, is that "History is Written by the Winners".
I'd forget it because it patently isn't true. The German State (really West Germany) researched and produced a huge history of WW2 and l think we can safely say they didn't win. There's also no end of books about the Nazis and WW2 written by German authors over the last 70 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany ... _World_War

Also the French, nominally winners, have never attempted to produce an official account of WW2, because there was no possibility of acheiving consensus about what took place, and possibly because too much of it would have been embarrassing to France, either in terms of military competence or collaboration.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Dingdong wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 9:29pm The repression in China is absolute, upheld weeks enforced by massive arrays of tech and internet monitoring. They have the best facial recognition software on the planet, literally you can't go anywhere or do anything without being observed.

In the words of N. S. Khrushchev, those who would rather be dead than red can be accommodated. Which seems to be China's watchword.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Germany did win.
They may have lost WW2, but they won in the end. We all did - those who took part of course.
We put an end to Nazi tyranny.

If the Nazis had won, history would have been written very differently by them.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 9:12am
I'd forget it because it patently isn't true. The German State (really West Germany) researched and produced a huge history of WW2 and l think we can safely say they didn't win. There's also no end of books about the Nazis and WW2 written by German authors over the last 70 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany ... _World_War

Also the French, nominally winners, have never attempted to produce an official account of WW2, because there was no possibility of acheiving consensus about what took place, and possibly because too much of it would have been embarrassing to France, either in terms of military competence or collaboration.
Yes, but it's what they wrote i.e. that Germany losing was a good thing, the regime was bad etc which was a losers history, basically agreeing with the victors view of the war. Had Germany won, it would have been written very differently with Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt portrayed as the war criminals.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker