Abuse on the roads disproportionately deters women from cycling

lonpfrb

Post by lonpfrb »

https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/abuse-ro ... en-cycling
By Lauren Purdy
Friday, 24 June 2022
What a great Blog. Thank you Lauren for your insight and determination to make cycling available for everyone. It seems to me that as an 'out group' cyclists are generally not respected, either as human beings or as contributing to the challenges that we all face: environment and economic.
The attitude and behaviour that we face results from ignorance and falsehood provided by the mainstream media and social media.
They would not be allowed to publish such hate speech if we were a protected group (though cycling Is open to all).
Isn't it time to campaign to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS)?
DCMS is responsible for delivering the government's policy covering arts and culture, communications and media, sport, tourism, building a shared society and digital connectivity.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secreta ... _and_Sport
Nadine Dorries needs to know that female cyclists are suffering from hate speech that frustrates her government policy of active travel to name just one impact...
mumbojumbo

Re: Abuse on the roads disproportionately deters women from cycling

Post by mumbojumbo »

A few unkind words are unpleasant but you have to overcome these barriers to pleasure ,or risk permanent repression .Suffragists also faced, and faced down hostility.
richards

Post by richards »

Mumbojumbo, have you read the blog the OP referred to? She was not talking about “a few unkind words”, she was talking about dangerous driving and serious abuse. Most cyclists could quote similar experiences (and when you look at ‘on the road’ or does anyone know’ you’ll see lots of men complaining about it) but the blog quoted thought it is worse for women-and it probably is scarier for women even if the abuse and close passing were the same. The blog was also offering ways of doing something about it. Constructive. Unlike your comments.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Very disappointing to see the minimising of the threat women feel on here at all, and allowed to remain. Poor.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Sorry if I failed to read the details-I relied on the term abuse only, assuming it was words not violence.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 10 Nov 2022, 10:18am Very disappointing to see the minimising of the threat women feel on here at all, and allowed to remain. Poor.
I've been out cycling with my daughter and she got a lot of inappropriate wolf whistles etc. At first I thought they were for me, but I look like a sack of potatoes in Lycra. It's a poor show though, and shes complained on several occasions of bff physically abused. Which is ridiculous in this day and age.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I imagine it is worse when you are not with her .What do you do in such circumstances?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

mumbojumbo wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 7:50pm I imagine it is worse when you are not with her .What do you do in such circumstances?
Get angry!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Perhaps you should challenge such conduct ,in whatever manner suits you. You may find your presence induces more reaction. Why not ride50 metres behind the other cyclist? Have you asked them both how they feel and what action they would like to see?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

There are some pricey camera's available now that record both images and sound. Mine is rear facing, on my seatpost, although I tend not to use it much.

But .. in terms of dangerous driving/abuse I've had best results with a little, non-working camera I sometimes mount, in a rear-facing direction, on top of my helmet. It has a massive deterrent effect.
I should coco.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Are you telling me that all the abuse women receive is from me, sorry, I have seen as many pig ignorant women motorists

I have been reporting dangerous, bad driving for 12 years, we have operation SNAP in wales.

I have TWO dashcams and two rear, and I have never been tailgated in 14 years since adding two A4 signs on the back "Tailgating cameras, tailgaters are reported". I still get boy racers come up behind, a few seconds later they drop RIGHT back

BUT, I have also passed my videos to a motorbike rider driven off the road and two cyclists
AUTISTIC and proud
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

Pinhead wrote: 2 Aug 2023, 7:13pm Are you telling me that all the abuse women receive is from me, sorry, I have seen as many pig ignorant women motorists

I have been reporting dangerous, bad driving for 12 years, we have operation SNAP in wales.
Well done on reporting the dangerous behaviour.

But no one is blaming you for the abuse, and the behaviour of some women does not negate the issues raised in the article.