Replacement Part for OLD V-Break - Anyone Know the Name?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dannydannydanny

Replacement Part for OLD V-Break - Anyone Know the Name?

Post by dannydannydanny »

Hi,

Sorry, I'm old! Im 41 and I love my old bike. I saved up for it when I was 16, so just try not to be mean! A bit got broken by a removals man when I moved house. I really hate waste and I hate the idea of replacing the entire breaks just for one tiny bit. I'll make myself something out of some sheet stainless I have lying around if I have to. But thought I'd try to replace if the part is made... trouble is, I don't know what its called!

It's the bit circled in blue. Tiny little armature, seems to be aluminium, connects the top of the arm of one side to a collar on the end of the conduit through with the cable runs. It has opened up at the end. If anyone knows the name of this part I can at least check to see if they are made by anyone and sold separately online.

And yep, I noticed it is attached by a rivet, that wont be an issue to drill out and replace with a bolt & nylock nut + threadlocker.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows what it might be called!
Danny
zenitb

Re: Replacement Part for OLD V-Break - Anyone Know the Name?

Post by zenitb »

No idea what its called but it is safety critical. I am a bit of a DIYer but I wouldnt fabricate something like that Danny .. too risky if it snapped on a downhill. Plus I have never seen them sold separately .. suspect this is for safety reasons as well. How about a new set - would these fit ?
SHIMANO Deore BR-T610 V-Brakes
SHIMANO Deore BR-T610 V-Brakes
I clipped that image from Spa Cycles but other vendors will have them as well...
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

It's the brake arm cradle. Needs to be robust because it becomes stressed under heavy braking. You should either buy a new V brake or ask your local bike shop if they have similar or same brake arm in one of the spares boxes.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Damage to the link cradle is usually caused by the outer cable being pulled.
More likely on the front brake if the handlebars swing around. Depending on how much the link has spread enabling the noodle to pull out when the brake is applied it may be possible to close it up to retain the noodle. A cable tie then helps to retain it. And put that arm on the rear brake retaining a 100% perfect one on the front brake.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

Hi dannydannydanny - good advice there from rjb.

Would you mind using the conventional spelling of "brake"? It's an important bicycle component and it helps ensure that any advice or discussion is clear if it is spelt correctly. Many thanks.

PS You might want a "break" while fixing it, mind!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

If it has opened up at the end you might be able to squeeze it back into place with pliers, a vise or even a hammer. OTOH, this spreading indicates it is not very good quality. I'd replace it with Shimano, tektro, avid or similar.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

dannydannydanny wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:53pmit is attached by a rivet
That's why it won't be sold as a separate part: most people don't have the skills to replace the rivet. (If I were contemplating substituting a screw for the rivet, I might get to wondering whether the threads will bite into the brake sufficiently to precipitate a fatigue fracture.)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rjb

Post by rjb »

The noodle for V brakes is on the wrong side for a neat cable run from a right hand front flat bar lever. It's S shaped instead of a nice curve. If you search you can find V brakes with the linkage on the opposite side but you pay a premium for them.

Here's a mini V from Decathlon. Anyone seen a full size one?
mini-v-brake-reverse.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

An impact large enough to destroy the steel rivet joint at that location could also have fractured the aluminium brake arm.
I can only recommend replacing the whole brake arm (and, if an exact replacement can’t be found, the opposite arm to ensure compatibility).
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Cheapest 'used but good' v brake arms on eBay seems to be about £3 plus £4 postage:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155162341711 ... k9SR_7T4Nu

v brake arms.JPG
You could either use these as is or butcher them for the part and fit together yourself. I know it's 'safety critical' but it's hardly rocket science.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

This is why it's worth buying Shimano V-brakes. Some other brands use softer metal for the stirrup and eventually the noodle punches through. Brown trouser moment.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

rjb wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 12:20pm The noodle for V brakes is on the wrong side for a neat cable run from a right hand front flat bar lever. It's S shaped instead of a nice curve. If you search you can find V brakes with the linkage on the opposite side but you pay a premium for them.
UK bikes should have a 135 degree noodle at the front. A 90 degree noodle can put a kink in the outer.

If I'm looking at that Decathlon photo right, they should have used a 90 degree noodle for the reversed brake as otherwise they have solved the problem and re-created it! They are French, though, so that might be for a French bike.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

There seems to be a pair of compatible brakes (missing a spring) in the forvsale section here for £5 .
I agree if that bit of a V brake us compromised then it's compromised and needs replacing.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

rogerzilla wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 2:45pm This is why it's worth buying Shimano V-brakes. Some other brands use softer metal for the stirrup and eventually the noodle punches through. Brown trouser moment.
Yes Roger that happened on my Tektro front brake on my tandem (fortunately while in Norfolk). I think it is because I had let the front wheel swing too far round bending the stirrup open a bit each time. I squeezed it back together at the side of the road, but will be replacing the whole brake for a proper fix.
rjb

Post by rjb »

zenitb wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 7:44pm
rogerzilla wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 2:45pm This is why it's worth buying Shimano V-brakes. Some other brands use softer metal for the stirrup and eventually the noodle punches through. Brown trouser moment.
Yes Roger that happened on my Tektro front brake on my tandem (fortunately while in Norfolk). I think it is because I had let the front wheel swing too far round bending the stirrup open a bit each time. I squeezed it back together at the side of the road, but will be replacing the whole brake for a proper fix.
Yes that's the generic failure mode caused by poor cable routing which rips the noodle out when the cable is pulled taunt as the handlebars swing around. Easily prevented by careful cable routing. :wink: