'Whitewall' Tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Barrowman

'Whitewall' Tyres

Post by Barrowman »

Does anyone know when bike tyres started having 'whitewall' tyres?
simonineaston

Re: 'Whitewall' Tyres

Post by simonineaston »

Although focused on car tyres, this web page is modestly informative.
https://www.maxxis.com/uk/whitewall-tyr ... ate-guide/
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

If you look at adverts for American “cruiser” bikes from the 1940s and 50s, a lot of them show whitewall tyres.

The more recent “thing” has been “tan walls”, very popular with the more fashion-driven sort of gravel bike rider, which again seems to have originated in the US, although I’m not totally sure.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

In 1955 my parents bought me a Phillips " Vox Populi" a "sports" bike of the era.
That was fitted with whitewall tyres.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think I had them on bikes as a kid in the 1960s. They soon looked grubby. They are as practical as white trousers. :lol:
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Attachments
E9088422-3334-471E-8DB7-635379D410F6.jpeg
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

And I think all-white tyres were quite common n the very early days. I think they perished quickly, and that making them black slowed down the perishing.
Attachments
5C828FEC-BD76-423E-821B-C4E0FE404F66.jpeg
Last edited by Nearholmer on 26 Nov 2022, 10:02am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had white-wall tyres on my Hercules AMF bought for my 13th? birthday. 1967? Could have been my 12th in 1966.
Mick F. Cornwall
freiston

Post by freiston »

I took a quick look at my "old catalogues" folder on the PC and came across what look to be whitewall tyres in the 1935 Dawes catalogue but it's hard to tell as the photos are all black & white. Throughout, there seems to be an assortment of all-black, contrast (white?) walls and solid coloured somewhere in-between (grey or brown?).

Here's a picture of the Dawes Special - tyres are specified as Dunlop "Sprite" or John Bull "Firefly" (but colour is not mentioned):
Screenshot from 2022-11-26 11-34-24.png
(Edit) ADDENDUM:
Here's an advert from April 1936 for the John Bull Firefly tyre - it clearly shows the contrast sidewall but doesn't specify colour.
John Bull Firefly tyres.jpg
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Here's what Sheldon has to say on the matter.

Many bicycle tires are "gumwalls" or "skinwalls." Gumwall tires have tan sidewalls, with no carbon black. This may make the sidewalls slightly more flexible, reducing rolling resistance. It is not clear to what extent this makes a difference.

Skinwalls have either no rubber on the sidewalls, or a very thin layer. This, too is an attempt to make the sidewall more flexible and reduce rolling resistance.

He doesn't make any reference to whitewalls. My guess is that it was a 1950s aesthetic, like whitewall tires on cars, popular mainly in the US
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Tan/amber walls were pretty standard up to the early 90s (even on MTBs), then all-black tyres became more popular. Now the tan walls are having a bit of a resurgence. They look fantastic on most bikes but are impractical if you ride in the wet, when they get covered in black streaks from the brakes.