British Cycling partners with Shell

Sweep

Re: British Cycling partners with Shell

Post by Sweep »

Philip Benstead wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 10:09pm
Sweep wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 1:22pm
Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 1:17pm

No.
quick search of Google News found nothing.
Update

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/exti ... shell-deal
thanks - interesting that the two demonstrators are cyclists - and even current BC members - seems that Extinction Rebellion maybe used them in the demo deliberately. Good move.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Philip Benstead wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 10:09pm
Sweep wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 1:22pm
Philip Benstead wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 1:17pm

No.
quick search of Google News found nothing.
Update

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/exti ... shell-deal
Good for them.

And where is the mainstream media coverage? Here's a crazy prediction: the next protest they cover will be something like a road block, so they can interview drivers saying: "This protest is meaningless, it's just creating more congestion+pollution!"
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 9:32am

And where is the mainstream media coverage? Here's a crazy prediction: the next protest they cover will be something like a road block, so they can interview drivers saying: "This protest is meaningless, it's just creating more congestion+pollution!"
excellent point.
There are often major demos going on in London that the beeb never mentions - can only think they don't want to be accused of drumming up support for them. have been times in the past when their info on closures has been totally wrong - if I hadn't cycled the 5 to 6 miles to centre on one recently I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.
Sweep
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sweep wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 6:28pm
mattheus wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 9:32am

excellent point.
There are often major demos going on in London that the beeb never mentions - can only think they don't want to be accused of drumming up support for them. have been times in the past when their info on closures has been totally wrong - if I hadn't cycled the 5 to 6 miles to centre on one recently I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.
I've only just seen this. I wonder if part of the reason for this is an increasing reliance on social media for "news" and on algorithms (?) instead of human editors to decide the "newsworthiness" of stories dependent on "clicks". (IIRC it was [XAP]Bob who pointed this out a while ago)

At the risk of total thread drift, I'll offer a weird local example which inexplicably popped up on the BBC England news www yesterday 1 December. It's reported that a disqualified driver drove off in an emergency ambulance while its crew were dealing with a patient in a nearby house in Pudsey, west Leeds. The ambulance was allegedly driven around west Leeds suburbs colliding with several other vehicles on 25 November. The suspect appeared at Leeds Magistrates' Court on Monday (28 November) so where was this story for the intervening four days? One clue may be that it's listed under Local news: Sheffield and South Yorkshire. And I do know that's all oop North.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-63823336