lent

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hector's House

lent

Post by Hector's House »

...it starts tomorrow!

I'm giving up facebook. I'm definately going to have withdrawl symptoms, but my other half and I have swapped passwords and will be changing them tonight so that we can't log in...! 8)
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Whisky.

When does Lent end?
Michael R

Re: lent

Post by Michael R »

Hector's House wrote:...it starts tomorrow!

I'm giving up facebook. I'm definately going to have withdrawl symptoms, but my other half and I have swapped passwords and will be changing them tonight so that we can't log in...! 8)

No it starts on Ash wednesday
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

No it starts on Ash wednesday

thank you :D
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

And, as all good Catholics can tell you, doesn't include Sundays. Can't fast on a feast day, you see
pigman

Post by pigman »

Whats the point ? What does it prove?

Giving up something for the sake of it proves nothing. Is the idea some form of self-torture?

I could understand it, if by giving up something, the money saved went to charity, or the time usually spent doing an activity went to helping others, but on its own depriving oneself seems futile.

What am I missing?
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Lent is the period of forty days which comes before Easter in the Christian calendar. Beginning on Ash Wednesday, Lent is a season of reflection and preparation before the celebrations of Easter. By observing the forty days of Lent, Christians replicate Jesus Christ's sacrifice and withdrawal into the desert for forty days. Lent is marked by fasting, both from food and festivities.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Perhaps Mr.Numbnuts, for lent you would like to join us on a Hares and Tortoises ride or one of the Winchester easy rides for a change? :D

We don't bite, honest! One this weekend from Winchester, or the following weekend from Romsey out to East Winterslow.

Give up solo cycling and join us!
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Joining the Hares and Tortoises rides was one of my new years resolutions ...........I fell at the first hurdle and for Lent I'm giving up swearing at motorist and no hand gestures, that has to be harder than fasting in the desert for forty days
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Too difficult giving up the rude words and gestures.

However, come and relax on one our rides..... (Mrs.Wildduck can't say I haven't tried now!).
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

pigman wrote:I could understand it, if by giving up something, the money saved went to charity, or the time usually spent doing an activity went to helping others, but on its own depriving oneself seems futile.
Many people do give money saved to charity. Others choose, as you suggest, to do something positive with their time. There's a good article here that explains more elegantly than I can what it's all about: http://www.licc.org.uk/culture/lent. Kevin
skrx

Post by skrx »

pigman wrote:Whats the point? What does it prove?

Giving up something for the sake of it proves nothing. Is the idea some form of self-torture?

It's religion, it's not supposed to make sense!
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

skrx wrote:It's religion, it's not supposed to make sense!

ditto :wink: :wink:
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink:
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Jeckyll_n_Snyde wrote:
skrx wrote:It's religion, it's not supposed to make sense!

ditto :wink: :wink:

Just two points

1. Much religion does make sense.

2. Few evolutionary scientists worth their salt call themselves Darwinists.

To clarify your neurons please read some things by Sir John Polkinghorne , who is both a scientist (FRS and all that) and a Christian, or you could read Francis Collins formerly boss of the Genome Project.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

So if I can celebrate on "feast" days can my birthday be included as a feast day? It always falls either in lent or just at Easter, means if I give up alcohol or chocolate I can't indulge on my birthday!!!!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells