Route planning app for finding shortest routes uk

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

Re: Route planning app for finding shortest routes uk

Post by MrsHJ »

Goosey wrote: 10 Nov 2022, 4:01pm Will cycle.travel show me the length of each stage? What I mean is, if I 'add' a point, how do I know how far that is from the start for example?
Yes. Put in the stages as overnight stops and it will show. Also you can save it broken down into stages- it will give you the choice. You can see how I’ve done it for my next trip. Overall route in one photo and the folder with the individual routes for each day auto saved- my EDM plus Nantes route is 950km over 15 stages.
Attachments
D967CD6C-7DB9-4E19-9BA4-7F97256E4095.jpeg
7058D155-BB17-4B84-876A-CEF5E9A3409E.jpeg
Goosey

Post by Goosey »

Thanks, that's great, I'll try that :)
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

Yes it does give leg length. I just tried it. Out of all the route planners out there that I have tried, cycle.travel is the one that clearly shows the bike paths.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Goosey wrote: 10 Nov 2022, 4:01pm Will cycle.travel show me the length of each stage? What I mean is, if I 'add' a point, how do I know how far that is from the start for example?
Just try using it, and that way you will find out what it can do for you. For instance, you can play around with minor route modifications (by dragging) to affect the route profile, taking out unnecessary or overly steep hills. Just wade in a play with it for a while, using the area you know best.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/187036

This is one of my routes. Click on the profile symbol (like a mountain) then pan in and see how dragging the route this way and that affects the hilliness of the profile.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

As no one appears to have mentioned it, I'll point it out now. Sometimes the shortest route, when travelled by bicycle isn't the quickest route...

....I'm mentioning hills now...

..Sometimes the shortest route will take you over the slope of a hill which is so steep you'll be forced to use your crawler gears or walk... that sets your pace at between 8 to 4 mile per hour, whereas a longer route may take you up a more gentle slope or even avoid the hill together and allow you to continue your pace at 12 mph plus...

..like wise going down hills, sometimes the shortest route will take you down the other side of the hill into a valley and you have to crawl back out again.. whereas with a bit of careful planning once at the top of the hill, you may find a longer route, but maintains the height that you have gained or gently goes down hill over a few miles allowing you to keep an average speed 15 mph plus....
It's time to go :-)
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

I also suggest google maps, not only for planning (street view shows you if the road is traffic free, photos show you places you will want to visit/camp etc.) but also for navigation as you ride.

One word of warning. If you get a route on your computer, then drag to modify it slightly, then save as a link, the link on your computer will show you the modified route. However, when you click the same link on your phone, it will show the google default route. The work around is break the route into segments so that each segment is the route chosen by google.