Shift cable splitters without cable stops

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crg

Shift cable splitters without cable stops

Post by crg »

Must a cable splitter be used between cable stops brazed/attached to the frame?

Are there any models that can be used with full housing?
PT1029

Re: Shift cable splitters without cable stops

Post by PT1029 »

By "shift cable splitters" I assume something like Moulton use to break a cable into two.
I think you would need 2 outer cable stops of some form for this to work with a bare bit of inner for the break bit.
Some back ground might help.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've used full length cables on Moultons and retained the ability to split the frame. The break in the cable has come from simply lifting it away from the mechanism it was intended to control. Not as easy to use as the splitters employed half way along the inner run, which is why the factory continue to use them, I guess.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
crg

Post by crg »

Image at above link shows a cable splitter between two cable stops.

Is there a cable splitter that works without cable stops?
The cable housing has to butt against the cable splitter.

One of my bikes has no cable stops!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

You're asking for a solution that doesn't exist. The point of the usual cable splitters (as pictured) is that the two halves of the outer - let's call them the front half and the back half - are firmly attached to the front and rear of the frame respectively. They are, if you like, already split and perfectly arranged so that they stay with the two halves of the frame when separated. Thus the only remaining bit of the cable that has to be split, when the time comes, is the inner.
I'm afraid that if you want to split a cable, then the only way to readily achieve this to add cable stops. There is one other way, as already described, which works if the cable is continuous and that is to detach it from either the lever/control end, or the brake/gear end. Often this isn't easy, what with the cable being under tension etc. however, occasionally it is possible. In my case, the cable was used to control an internal gear hub and would lift away from the fulcrum lever quite easily, which made it a practicallity bearing in mind that I only ever needed to split the cycle on very few occasions.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

What cables do you want to split?
Gear cable, as mentioned up thread, can't do except possibly Sturmey Archer trigger lever.
V brake/cantilever brake, you can probably open the brake (unhitch noodle/cable at the brake), then if flat bar levers, line up the adjuster slit with the lever slit and unhook the cable. What ever clip on/strap on frame guides you use would have to be losenable enough (reusable zip ties?) to get the cable nipple through. Obviously won't work for drop bars with under bar cable routing.

You can get bolt on outer cable stops I believe (from Problem solvers?) which might help you, assuming they come for the correct tube diameter.
PH

Post by PH »

So what happens if you cut an outer, add ferrules and butt it against the cable splitter? Would that work? It's probably possible to make some sort of sleeve to keep it in line, though if it might not need it. Or you could look at inline cable tensioners, a pair of those, one either side of the inner splitter, ought to keep things in line.
Still sounds like a faff to me, who'd make a separable frame without stops? Easiest route is probably to add stops, several options for doing so, as long as it's round tubing, I've used the Problem Solvers version, mentioned above, which can handle two cables with one clamp.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

cut an outer, add ferrules and butt it against the cable splitter
If you watch a cable splitter in action you'll see that it moves. If you apply the solution described above, the splitter has nowhere to go... you have in effect pinned the inner to outer.
S
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 7:38pm
If you watch a cable splitter in action you'll see that it moves. If you apply the solution described above, the splitter has nowhere to go... you have in effect pinned the inner to outer.
You're right, of course, silly me!
crg

Post by crg »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 7:38pm
This is the best explanation for why the cable splitter will not work without cable stops.