Mould in houses

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Mould in houses

Post by PH »

axel_knutt wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 3:05pm The main bugbear is the shower curtains, it doesn't wash out, so they're perpetually black. Opening a window works, at a price, but an extractor fan doesn't touch it. I've just bought a new pair, so as use the shower less now I'm not cycling every day, I keep meaning to try leaving the bathroom door open so that the humidity gets diluted by dispersing into a 24 times larger volume of air, it just depends how humid the rest of the house is already.
I have a small bathroom without windows and an inadequate extractor, no central heating, in the bathroom just a fan heater on the wall. Ways I've found to minimise the condensation and the shower curtain mould - Shorter showers obviously. Squeegee the walls and bath/shower-tray after use so there's less water to evaporate. Leave the shower curtain extended till it's dry. Remove wet towels from the bathroom, I dry them where I normally dry laundry.
Sounds like faff, but it just becomes habit. I used to replace the shower curtain every couple of years, the current one has lasted six and has never needed more than the occasional wipe down.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We had shower mouldy curtains, and then we discovered clear glass panels with a sliding door.
Use a squeegee to clean the glass off as you finish your shower.
Mick F. Cornwall
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Window vents on al modern windows let in cold air but stop condensation and build up of moisture on cold panes.
I prefer to hand wash my cycling gear. Use acrylic in winter as it drys fast. Use cotton in summer.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage