new northern Japan tour video

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cowsham

Re: new northern Japan tour video

Post by Cowsham »

keefwaddo wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 9:26am
Tom_B wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 1:25am Great videos - a lot of work has gone into these - well worth the price of a Patreon sub!
Many thanks for posting here
All I can say is I agree 100% :wink:
Yes very well made videos -- my one and only criticism is that it looks like your lovely wife is on her own in most of the videos. They could do with a bit more of yourself being included.
I am here. Where are you?
Tom_B

Post by Tom_B »

They could do with a bit more of yourself being included
I think the same but I would not say this was a criticism
My thought is that, whether consciously or not, the film-maker is following the dictum of ‘always leave the viewer wanting more (and thinking they may get it if they keep watching)’
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tom_B wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 5:58pm
I think the same but I would not say this was a criticism
My thought is that, whether consciously or not, the film-maker is following the dictum of ‘always leave the viewer wanting more (and thinking they may get it if they keep watching)’
Clever, but she looks a bit lonely and leaves me feeling sorry for her even though I know that's not the reality.
I am here. Where are you?
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 7:35pm
Tom_B wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 5:58pm
I think the same; but I would not say this was a criticism
Clever, but she looks a bit lonely and leaves me feeling sorry for her even though I know that's not the reality.
I agree with the "lonely" look. I will add: I think (hope) that feeling occurs when we are genuinely on lonely mountain roads, in the rain, tired: in which case the music is probably a big part of the lonely feeling and entirely intentional. There are times like last year in Tohoku (summer!) when I was fearful of hypothermia and even though we were two, it was a desolate, lonely and painful experience. So the video, ambient sound and music hopefully conveys loneliness and more.

Second, to include both of us in the shot I have to set up a camera on my pocket tripod, plan the shot and then we must act natural for the camera! I've done it a few times but basically I am just trying to have a biking holiday with a camera, and not make a biking video.

Finally, I am very ugly where as Yuki is very easy on the eyes.

Thanks for these comments as they provide food for thought.