Europe family cycle tour in March

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MoriTheDog

Europe family cycle tour in March

Post by MoriTheDog »

Hello

My wife, 18-month old son and I had a great first bike tour around the routes vertes and quiet roads of Brittany in September camping along the way.
We'd like to get away again in March next year. Any thoughts on good routes for a couple of weeks (maybe 600km) with campsites open, not too cold and somewhere we'd feel safe cycling with a toddler in his child seat? Ideally not mega hilly as need to carry toddler + camping supplies! Anywhere in the world considered.

Was thinking somewhere along EuroVelo 8?! Other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks very much
MrsHJ

Re: Europe family cycle tour in March

Post by MrsHJ »

Hmmm, nowhere in Europe will be warm but the med will hopefully be mild. Maybe ev8 in France and as it gets a bit hilly in eastern france (past Marseilles) combine with either part of ev17 (Rhône ) or part of the canals du midi/Garonne. It has direct links to both. I suspect this would be the most reliable in terms of surface and is easy to get to, so it would probably be my first choice for Europe although you may be able to find better weather elsewhere.

In Italy it’s not ideal family cycling throughout but Piacenza to Venice on ev8 would be ok. There maybe other routes you could add on (West of pavia isn’t suitable I would suggest- there has been no development of the route between there and Turin leaving a choice between rough (very slow) gravel and fast roads in some places). It is in no way as developed a route as what you experienced in Brittany, although some sections eg around Ferrara are getting there.

I haven’t tested other segments of ev 8 so I’ll leave others to chip in there.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 5 Dec 2022, 7:46am, edited 3 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How about the Rhine? Very flat once you're out of the Alps, mostly traffic-free routes, and some very cycle-friendly areas. Easy access from south-east England.

Not so good on likely temperature.

https://en.eurovelo.com/ev15

Jonathan
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I think you could have problems finding campsites open in March - even on the Med they seem to have a comparitively short season. But presumably there must be some open for campervans?
Might be worth looking into camping cabins in the Netherlands (but it can be very cold there) - or how about German Youth Hostels?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

It'll be cold all over France, even in the south in March. When I say cold, 12-15C, with overnights in single figures. If you want heat, you're really thinking south of Valencia in Spain that time if the year
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Re: camping. Professional camping sites really don't open till May in France, theyre very sophisticated and really popular from them. Best to book ahead.
MoriTheDog

Post by MoriTheDog »

Thanks all for the advice.

As above, south of France would be good....but the campsites aren't open until April/May.

We've found the Alentejo region in Portugal recommended elsewhere for good weather in March, quiet roads which aren't super hilly and open campsites. So I think we're going to fly in and out of Lisbon and have a look around there!