Fixing A Safe To Thermalite Wall Blocks

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Fixing A Safe To Thermalite Wall Blocks

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sorry R2 must've skipped right past your first post :oops:

I think the person already has some sort of power-of-attorney set up.
This is my elder sister, but of course despite the fact of well-meaning IT experts in the family, her phone and computer are wide open!
Her passwords are simply in some book somewhere, but my main point of concern is tying down the computer and her phone.
Something like 70% of people uses of technology reuse passwords and they are very simple easily Hackable passwords et cetera et cetera.
The phone has already numerous annoying pop-ups et cetera et cetera.
And the usual thing when the phone goes they pick it up irrespective of who is phoning!
But trying to secure them electronically I have to tread very carefully, because anything which sounds more complex it's something they don't want to do.
More later I've got to rush out now.
Thanks for your comments.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

With the greatest of respect to na and his elder sister, this topic sounds complex and difficult. Having had personal experience of helping relatives cope, as they grow older, I recognise how family members will work hard to put in place solutions they think will be helpful, however the solution often turns out to be unused - perhaps even unwanted - and ultimately, don't really address the underlying issues.
Having said that, I believe that the best way to deal effectively with the flood, these days, of online passwords, will likely be an online password manager. Some are built in to the os, some are available free, online. If the user concerned is an active it user, then they should be using lock procedures on all their devices and if they aren't, then they and their digital resources are vunerable. There's no getting around that...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 8:40am With the greatest of respect to na and his elder sister, this topic sounds complex and difficult. Having had personal experience of helping relatives cope, as they grow older, I recognise how family members will work hard to put in place solutions they think will be helpful, however the solution often turns out to be unused - perhaps even unwanted - and ultimately, don't really address the underlying issues.
Having said that, I believe that the best way to deal effectively with the flood, these days, of online passwords, will likely be an online password manager. Some are built in to the os, some are available free, online. If the user concerned is an active it user, then they should be using lock procedures on all their devices and if they aren't, then they and their digital resources are vunerable. There's no getting around that...
Yes, I'd strongly recommend that as part of the improvement plan. If you can tell us what devices she uses we can get to some specific products.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We had a kitchen noticeboard. I put hidden hinges on the back of it and a magnetic catch that needed a bit of force to swing it out revealing the wall behind. It was mounted on a plastered breeze block wall into which I dug out a roomy recess. This was where all the spare keys were kept. It would take quite a bit of imagination for a low life to find. Cards etc were often tucked into a box canvas frame hung on the wall.

The last Georgian House I lived in had a floor safe put in by the previous antique dealer owners for antique jewelry.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 9:01am We had a kitchen noticeboard. I put hidden hinges on the back of it and a magnetic catch that needed a bit of force to swing it out revealing the wall behind. It was mounted on a plastered breeze block wall into which I dug out a roomy recess. This was where all the spare keys were kept. It would take quite a bit of imagination for a low life to find. Cards etc were often tucked into a box canvas frame hung on the wall.

The last Georgian House I lived in had a floor safe put in by the previous antique dealer owners for antique jewelry.

Al
This nicely illustrates the difference between somebody who devises their own security system which they are comfortable with and may well use if they don't get complacent about the risks they had in mind, and a system imposed by somebody else, no matter how good their motives.

@ NA

I'm unclear about what you consider to be the threat here. A safe won't help with dodgy phone calls. You may risk installing something which is a solution looking for a problem
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 11:42am ...
I'm unclear about what you consider to be the threat here. A safe won't help with dodgy phone calls. You may risk installing something which is a solution looking for a problem
Or something that will say to burglars "something valuable here". Maybe a good "security" feature is a cheapo feeble safe in clear view that is empty - draw attention of burglars who will spend time breaking it open, find it's empty and decide "nothing valuable" rather than then hunting through cornflake packets, under magazines, etc.

Ian
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Would a "false" electric socket be big enough.?
A couple of hotels I've been in use these. A standard size double socket with space behind and needs some form of key to unlock it.
You'll never know if you don't try it.