remote battery charging

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
JVB

remote battery charging

Post by JVB »

Can anyone throw any light on the use of smart plugs to charge an ebike battery remotely. I have a couple of ebikes which are left in a location where I cannot get to without a lot of hassle and expense. I have relied on neighbours to charge them every so often but I would like to relieve them of this job and have been looking into the possibility of using smart plugs controlled by an app such as I use for my central heating. All I am looking for is the ability to switch on and off. I don't want voice control or anything else. However, all the web information seems to demonstrate the use of these plugs with pretty undemanding appliances (e.g. lights). I know next to nothing about the mysteries of electricity but imagine that a 36v 17aH battery is a bit more demanding. Could anyone suggest some appropriate specifications to help me source a suitable plug (or tell me that they are not really safe for this use).
Thanks
Jdsk

Re: remote battery charging

Post by Jdsk »

Is this restricted to solutions using ordinary British "13 A" three pin plugs and sockets?

Thanks

Jonathan
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Advice from smartplug maker Drayton.

‘To minimise the risk of fire when using smart plugs:

Make sure electrical devices you control never exceed our smart plugs’ maximum wattage of 3kW (13A max. current) displayed in the instructions.

Never overload extension leads, always check the maximum wattage capacity of these devices too.

Ensure there is a clearance between the smart plug unit and adjacent furniture and household objects.

Our smart plugs are for indoor use only.’

Full details here: https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/blo ... mart-plugs

3kW is pretty hefty…think of electric bar fires. Most are lower rated unless they are 3 bars. You need to look at the spec of your charger. The one I use for charging my Bosch batteries for my ARCC Moulton appears to draw 180w and is fitted with a 5amp fused plug.

Other makes available…..
JVB

Post by JVB »

Hi Jonathan/fivebikes
Thanks for responding.
The bikes are in Europe so ordinary 2 pin sockets.
The reason I was asking about specifications is precisely because I don't know how to interpret the markings on the battery charger.
One of them reads
"Input:AC180v-240v - 2.0A max 47-62Hz
Output:54.6v - 2.0A 109w"
I've just guessed that the input specs mean ok for domestic supply and the output means 109 watts (cf. the 3kW max referred to in your attachment) but I'd rather not rely on guesswork.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Most smart plugs claim a full 13amp load, as noted for Drayton above.

An ebike battery charges much slower than its max discharge rate. The load for a charger is tiny. Most deliver 2amps @ 36v; heftier ones maybe up to 5amps @ 48v. The big one will draw a bit over 1amp@240v (allowing for inefficiencies) which is what the plug will be seeing. This is more than LED lights, but pretty much in the ballpark of old fashioned lights.

We use a Kasa smart plug to turn off charging to ensure we don't overcharge if we inadvertently forget. It relies on being within wifi distance of our router. I'm hoping to use it for my wife's kiln (13amp); that may not work too well as it will not only be switching large current, but doing it relatively often (eg every 2 minutes or even more frequently) as the kiln warms up.
rjb

Post by rjb »

My 36v 12.5 amphr battery charges at about 100 watts and takes almost 8 hours. The same as an incandescent light bulb so a relatively small load. Could you put a timer adapter on the charger to charge it for 15 mins per day, so it would take almost a month to fully charge and the timer would then keep it topped up ready for use.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I too was thinking that the more traditional timer plug might be better, because it doesn’t rely on the internet and wi-fi all being good.

Also, two contradictory thoughts:

- a decent, matched charger should incorporate features to prevent over-charging, so can be left ‘on’ continuously; but,

- it is bad practice to leave batteries on charge in a house unattended for long periods, because there is a possibility (very low probability, but s possibility nevertheless) of a fault leading to a fire.

This last point applies equally to remotely or timer controlled charging, so I’m afraid I don’t quite know where that leaves you. If the bikes are in a detached garage, far less of an issue, I guess.

‘Industrial’ charging installations which are, of course, left unattended, have all sorts of sensing and protection systems, often including fire detection, and they are fire-separated from other installations.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Can you not take the batteries off the bikes and bring them home with you?
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Nearholmer wrote: 4 Nov 2022, 3:19pm I too was thinking that the more traditional timer plug might be better, because it doesn’t rely on the internet and wi-fi all being good.

Also, two contradictory thoughts:

- a decent, matched charger should incorporate features to prevent over-charging, so can be left ‘on’ continuously; but,

- it is bad practice to leave batteries on charge in a house unattended for long periods, because there is a possibility (very low probability, but s possibility nevertheless) of a fault leading to a fire.

This last point applies equally to remotely or timer controlled charging, so I’m afraid I don’t quite know where that leaves you. If the bikes are in a detached garage, far less of an issue, I guess.

‘Industrial’ charging installations which are, of course, left unattended, have all sorts of sensing and protection systems, often including fire detection, and they are fire-separated from other installations.
At least by using the internet, the process could be monitored visually by using a webcam (although what could be done in the event of a fire is another matter).
James257

Post by James257 »

Just a heads up, it's a pretty serious fire hazard due to the batteries. If there was potential to damage someone else's property or endanger life, I wouldn't do it personally. As someone else mentioned, if they are removable I would do that.

On the charging itself, you just need to check what current your charger draws, it'll be less than you think due to the voltage. It should be listed on there.

Plenty of wifi smart plugs on amazon, go with a known brand just to be safe. Most will handle 10 amps or more, and it'll just blow the fuse if you try to remote charge a car as well as your ebike, unlikely to cause damage.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

JVB wrote: 4 Nov 2022, 11:28am Can anyone throw any light on the use of smart plugs to charge an ebike battery remotely. I have a couple of ebikes which are left in a location where I cannot get to without a lot of hassle and expense.
Am i guessing that the batteries are somewhere like a holiday home and you want to keep them charged up in your absence?

If this is the case, it is not good for battery longevity to leave it fully charged for extended periods - as a rule of thumb, 40%-60% is good.

Then just prior to your next visit, give the battery a full charge.

Your charger draws less power from the mains than something like a couple of 100w light bulbs so any smart plug is going to be fine.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey