Getting kids and bikes to Europe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyclingmum

Getting kids and bikes to Europe

Post by Cyclingmum »

We have 3 kids aged 10, 7 and 3. Our 3 yr old has significant learning difficulties but whilst happy to sit in a trailer we are keen to try a bike tour of as many different European countries as we can in May half term '23. We can manage 30 miles a day and we thought France, Netherlands, Belgium and Germany could be possible. However the biggest issue is getting to a starting point with the shortest journey time for our 3 year old. Eurostar seems the best option but isn't back up and running for bikes and not sure how they would like two trailers and 3 bikes (one for child, one for luggage!)
Wondered about the Shuttle service but that seems to dump you at Calais. Is the easiest option to just try and hire a van in Calais for one way (with a car seat :roll: ) and put everything and everyone in the back of the van?? Any useful thoughts welcome please. This feels like it really shouldn't be this difficult.
simonhill

Re: Getting kids and bikes to Europe

Post by simonhill »

Where are you starting from in UK. What travel plans for that? Mainly thinking of how are you getting to jump off point.

Ferries, eg Dover Calais or Dunkirk take bikes.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Might be easiest to hire a van (or use your own vehicle) in the UK & possibly not much more expensive.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

As above x2.

How many people and how many bikes and trailers?

I've used our own MPVs for return journeys and rented MPVs and SUVs in France for one-way journeys with bikes. And often recommend it as a solution. It can save vast amount of times if there would otherwise be lots of connections for public transport. And one-way rented journeys can enable more distant trips in limited time.

NB one-way drop-offs of hired vehicles can be much more expensive if the endpoints are in different countries.

IIRC the last time that I looked Enterprise came up as the best option for renting a van in the UK and driving it to other European countries.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Check prices. It's often cheaper to take car and 4 pax on the ferry than 2 on bikes.

Sad but true.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

To provide an alternative, can I challenge your desire to have a short journey time?

The Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry is overnight but very comfortable, and if you book in advance you'll be able to get a room big enough for the whole family. Boarding starts around 9pm, the ferry leaves around 11pm and arrives first thing the next day. Yes it's longer than Dover-Calais, but you'll hopefully spend most of it sleeping, with the benefit of being able to ride off the ferry and start your trip.

In a week there's enough time to ride a nice loop around NL, making the most of the great kid-friendly cycling infrastructure then once you're done just jump on the ferry home.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Going overnight to Holland seems a good idea - very cycle friendly.

Next year we are intending to ride the Moselle cycle route - as part of the trip we intend to take the ferry to Dunkerque or maybe Calais and ride /train to De Panne in Belgium. From there train to Luxembourg city. That is close to Schengen where Luxembourg, Germany and France meet - it's on the moselle route. That would get you more than one country - you could probably get to Luxembourg from Holland by train.
pal

Post by pal »

Another vote for going to the Netherlands: treat the ferry trip (from Harwich or Newcastle, depending where you are in the UK) as part of the holiday, and then at the other end you're straight onto excellent (and very child-friendly) bike infrastructure.

If you want to maximise countries, then perhaps taking the ferry to Dunkirk would be an option: there's a little bit of mixing with traffic as you come out of the port, but you can get onto quiet roads/cycle paths pretty quickly; you could tick off France/Belgium/Netherlands, and then maybe ferry back from the Hook of Holland or Amsterdam (again, depending where in the UK you want to end up).
Cyclingmum

Post by Cyclingmum »

Thank you so much for all your replies. Wanted to avoid bringing our MPV but sounds like that could be the simplest (cheapest) option. Although even with trailer for 4 bikes off back of car? I'll investigate don't worry.
My husband would much rather drive the other side than endure a long ferry crossing. We are only an hour from Calais/ London Eurostar terminals hence my starting point.

Jonathan - have you left your car for a week in Europe whilst cycling? Where would be a safe place to do that? Any suggestions? We could do daily circular trips but that just feels wrong! :D

Finally, given all the helpful suggestions already, can anyone share any one night stop-over family friendly accommodation tips? Pre kids we cycled camped!! I don't think I'd be able to move my bike under the weight of camping paraphernalia for 5!

I'm still stunned getting to the Continent with bikes in a sustainable way is so difficult! 'Ease' was my initial thought but now I'm thinking of the impact of bringing the car too!
Thanks again everyone!
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Cyclingmum wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 9:52pm Thank you so much for all your replies. Wanted to avoid bringing our MPV but sounds like that could be the simplest (cheapest) option. Although even with trailer for 4 bikes off back of car? I'll investigate don't worry.
My husband would much rather drive the other side than endure a long ferry crossing. We are only an hour from Calais/ London Eurostar terminals hence my starting point.

Jonathan - have you left your car for a week in Europe whilst cycling? Where would be a safe place to do that? Any suggestions? We could do daily circular trips but that just feels wrong! :D

Finally, given all the helpful suggestions already, can anyone share any one night stop-over family friendly accommodation tips? Pre kids we cycled camped!! I don't think I'd be able to move my bike under the weight of camping paraphernalia for 5!

I'm still stunned getting to the Continent with bikes in a sustainable way is so difficult! 'Ease' was my initial thought but now I'm thinking of the impact of bringing the car too!
Thanks again everyone!
I have never left my car in Europe, but I left it a number of times at Harwich for a week at a time. A bit painful on the wallet when you have to pay the parking when you get back by nothing has come of it.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

We try to find a friendly campsite or hotel to leave the car. You can arrange a payment with them. I’m sure there are more formal long term parking options too.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

If you're in the South East then getting to Harwich is easy - train from Liverpool Street station takes about 90 mins. Sometimes with 1 change in Manningtree.

Has a cinema and family area on board, decent restaurant. Hoek has food, supermarkets and you're 150m from the Rhine cycle path.

As for Family Friendly accommodation:
https://nivon.nl/
https://www.jugendherberge.de/angebote/ ... earch=True
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Any travel to Europe will take time (home->ferry->EU or home->train->EU) and same on return. How long is your half-term and does the remaining number of days cycling justify the out and return?

Not suggesting is does or doesn't, just raising it as a consideration.

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Cyclingmum wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 9:52pm Jonathan - have you left your car for a week in Europe whilst cycling? Where would be a safe place to do that? Any suggestions? We could do daily circular trips but that just feels wrong! :D
I've done this a couple of times, both at a Chambre d'hotes / Gite de France accommodation, just checked with them in advance. Never stayed in Netherlands.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Psamathe wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 12:42pm Any travel to Europe will take time (home->ferry->EU or home->train->EU) and same on return. How long is your half-term and does the remaining number of days cycling justify the out and return?

Not suggesting is does or doesn't, just raising it as a consideration.

Ian
Driving on the Eurotunnel is very quick. If you buy a flexiplus ticket you just drive on to the next train. The whole thing takes little more than an hour motorway to motorway. Well worth the extra cost IMO.