Navigation advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
WEBH

Re: Navigation advice

Post by WEBH »

Good shout MrsHJ re the last. I've done a couple of long distance cycles, and walks, but never for more than about 2.5 weeks. It could feel like a long time away, even if I really cracked on I don't think it'd be less than 8 weeks. My best trips before were always the ones where I met others to cycle or walk with on the way. I'll book a flight home before I leave, but get an expensive cancel-able one in case I wimp out halfway there!
Good points re charging devices as well, there's plenty to consider all round, accommodation choice, cooking en route, gear choices and so on. Still, it's a proper challenge, for me at any rate and that's part of why I always wanted to try it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What I wish that I'd known about charging:

1 That Edge 1000 sometimes won't last a long day if left on all of the time. (New models in that family are reported as being able to.)

2 It isn't happy when powered by the USB supply from my B+M headlamp. I think that the power going on and off makes it change mode.

3 A cheap 16,000 mA h USB battery pack will charge it and all of our other devices for several days. And we stay somewhere with mains supply more frequently than that.

4 If you have two USB battery packs you can leave one being charged somewhere while the other is charging devices.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 10:10am What I wish that I'd known about charging:

1 That Edge 1000 sometimes won't last a long day if left on all of the time. (New models in that family are reported as being able to.)
My 1040 Solar is quoted at 45 hrs battery life (last I saw awnway). My experience is it is better than this (of course this depends on mounting and other factors).

Ian
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

WEBH wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 12:58pm Thanks again for the advice, sounds like the 1030/1040 is the way to go.
Just to flag that the 1030 Plus is on sale at £350 instead of £520 at Wiggle at the moment.

I think it was even lower during Black Friday...

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-10 ... e-computer
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

Nice one thanks I'll have a look. Ideally I'd like to support local business if they can get near...
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

Just one more thing: the GPS is - as is a paper map - just a guide. You don't need to follow it slavishly, once you situate yourself. Learn to ignore Garmin telling you that you are "off course", and enjoy the ride. Do remember to set "auto Pause" though; otherwise it will miscalculate all the distances, and make a disaster out of the trip recording.
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

Thank you Ayseven. Planning is still going on this, it's been keeping me awake at night so today I've actually booked some stuff - the return journey (should I get there) and the outward ferry. I felt it was important to start with something concrete and just get on with it.
I've got some maps, slightly large scale of course with the distance involved, but at least giving me an idea of potential route variations, ie not following the Rhine all the way to the end. I've been on cycle travel as well, which as others have said is absolutely brilliant, not just for routes but for accommodation as well - still undecided about camping or roofs.
I'll be getting the GPS in the new year, probably the 1040 as suggested on here. Starting to get excited!
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

WEBH wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 4:07pm I've been on cycle travel as well, which as others have said is absolutely brilliant, not just for routes but for accommodation as well - still undecided about camping or roofs.
I'll be getting the GPS in the new year, probably the 1040 as suggested on here. Starting to get excited!
Remember that in the absence of a GPS a cycle.travel route can be transferred to a paper map (printed using the pdf output is an option too).
Herts Audax

Post by Herts Audax »

pete75 wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 10:43pm Calculating a 100 mile route was sloth like. In contrast my mobile phone would calculate the same route in a couple of seconds - three routes actually, suggested, easiest and shortest.
Usually because it’s a remote server doing the routing calc, not the phone itself.
Herts Audax

Post by Herts Audax »

You can create a route on cycle.travel send it to Garmin Connect and from there to the Garmin Edge GPS. No need to worry about gpx etc, just the ability to tap buttons and read menus on your phone.

If you are happy with paper maps why not stick with it?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Herts Audax wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 8:12pm
pete75 wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 10:43pm Calculating a 100 mile route was sloth like. In contrast my mobile phone would calculate the same route in a couple of seconds - three routes actually, suggested, easiest and shortest.
Usually because it’s a remote server doing the routing calc, not the phone itself.
No it's because a reasonably modern phone has a vastly more powerful processor, more memory and faster memory than a Garmin device. For example, using the Tahuna app with all route calc done on the phone, routing from South Lincolnshire to York takes about a second or two, with all mobile data and wifi switched off.
A Garmin is just a computer as is a smartphone. The phone is vastly more powerful though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ossie wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 9:48pm Charge time for that phone is prohibitive, weight and size likewise, in other words its a brick. Not everyone has a dyno hub.
It charges in under 3 hours, the 8,500 battery keeps it going for ages, the weight is noticeable for about the first half day you have it and it fits into a pocket easily. Never had to charge it from the dyno hub, use that for my other phone with a much smaller battery. The Doogee is great for nav on bike, motorbike and backup for Navionics on the boat.
As a device it's only real drawback is no 5G.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

WEBH wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 4:07pm I'll be getting the GPS in the new year, probably the 1040 as suggested on here. Starting to get excited!
I'm curious why you've chosen that over the Edge Explore 2?
Did you read the Rainmaker review? For the purposes of navigation, I can't see the advantage of the 1040.
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

Thanks again all, some very good points. I'd probably be happier with maps alone, but getting the right maps to the right scale for this sort of journey has it's own issues, cost and carriage not least.
So it's time to join the modern world, and a device that will also give me the flexibility to plan on the hoof.
Thanks PH for the suggestion re the edge, having looked at DC rainmaker it seems to provide what I need, as well as being half the cost of the 1040. I'd been going by advice on here, and the 1040 looks great, but probably more than I need. I can keep it charged with a power bank as suggested.
Hard to know where to start with this stuff as a newcomer, but I've really appreciated the advice on here in helping with my decisions.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I also like to get something booked so I can start to pin my plans around some dates. So that’s a great start as although the planning is fun it needs to turn into reality at some point.

I’ve got one set of ferry trips booked. I may do a second soon.