DfT position on helmet compulsion

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mike Sales

DfT position on helmet compulsion

Post by Mike Sales »

Written question to DfT 5th December.
Mark Pritchard Conservative, The Wrekin

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, if he will hold discussions with road safety and cycle representative groups on making it a legal requirement for cyclists to wear helmets on public roads.
Jesse Norman Minister of State (Department for Transport)

The Department considered this matter at length in a comprehensive cycling and walking safety review in 2018 and held discussions with a wide range of stakeholders as part of that review. The safety benefits of mandating cycle helmets for cyclists are likely to be outweighed by the fact that this would put some people off cycling, thereby reducing the wider health and environmental benefits. The Department recommends that cyclists should wear helmets, as set out in The Highway Code, but has no intention to make this a legal requirement.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Re: DfT position on helmet compulsion

Post by thirdcrank »

A written reply so we cannot check for lip movement
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mark Pritchard Conservative, The Wrekin clearly has a blancmange for a brain.

Does he have any new evidence since the 2018 review? Does he have any evidence or justifications at ALL??

Idiot. He's probably a CTT member. Stick him in the B Ark ..
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 1:40pm Stick him in the B Ark ..
What have the Golgafrinchans done to deserve him?!?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Seems to be a fairly regular waste of time parliamentary question with the standard DfT response back.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 3:21pm
mattheus wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 1:40pm Stick him in the B Ark ..
What have the Golgafrinchans done to deserve him?!?
:D

I thought that was the principle the "B Ark" was based on!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If they make helmets compulsory for cycling, what about roller skating, or skate-boards?
What about wearing them in a car, or walking down the street?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's some published info about Mark Pritchard MP
I... n January 2017, it was reported that an inquiry had been launched into all-party parliamentary groups amid concerns they were being used to bypass lobbying rules. Pritchard was singled out in reports as the parliamentarian who sits on the most APPGs, with membership of 41 separate groups...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Prit ... olitician)

Here's They work for you. Scroll down for Register of Members’ Interests

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11946 ... n#register
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 4:49pm Here's some published info about Mark Pritchard MP
I... n January 2017, it was reported that an inquiry had been launched into all-party parliamentary groups amid concerns they were being used to bypass lobbying rules. Pritchard was singled out in reports as the parliamentarian who sits on the most APPGs, with membership of 41 separate groups...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Prit ... olitician)

Here's They work for you. Scroll down for Register of Members’ Interests

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11946 ... n#register
What … It appears that they certainly don’t ‘work for you’ and that at least some MP’s are significantly abusing the system.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I forgot to make clear "He denies any wrongdoing"
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

None of this is news, had Pritchard bothered to do his homework he'd have got that answer before he asked the question.

Nothing new here.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Mick F wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 4:38pm If they make helmets compulsory for cycling, what about roller skating, or skate-boards?
What about wearing them in a car, or walking down the street?
I was in Spain in August and hired a bike and a helmet was thrust upon me! I don't tend to wear one unless I'm doing something very silly off road, but apparently it's compulsory now :cry:
millimole

Post by millimole »

Dingdong wrote: I was in Spain in August and hired a bike and a helmet was thrust upon me! I don't tend to wear one unless I'm doing something very silly off road, but apparently it's compulsory now :cry:
I'm with your sentiments, but if it's the law in another land, then I'll obey the law or not cycle there. Spanish helmet law seems to be somewhat odd.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Was the Spanish Helmet Brand New? If not how could you be sure it was not already damaged ,or full of nits or something else unsavoury.