Moulton TSR 9 Upgrade to Shimano Alfine 11

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sum

Re: Moulton TSR 9 Upgrade to Shimano Alfine 11

Post by Sum »

simonineaston has a point there; that looks more of a horizontal dropout, rather than a vertical or semi-vertical dropout. Perhaps not the 8R/Blue and 8L/Green non-turn washers then, as they apply to dropout angles of 60-90 degrees. Here's another chart which has clearer pictures:-
https://web.archive.org/web/20130925014 ... 0Chart.pdf

The chart says it applies to the 7 and 8 speed hubs but the info seems consistent with the service instructions and dealer manuals for the Alfine 11, so I think it's safe to use. The angle of the dropout is measured relative to the chainstay, but note that the chart assumes you want the gear cable run following the chain stay, and entering the cassette joint from below. You can deviate from it if you want the gear cable to follow a different path. For example I use the 8R/Blue and 8L/Green non-turn washers on my bike, which has horizontal track ends, simply because the gear cable runs down the top of the seat stay, and so I need the arm of the CJ to point upwards.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I definitely think that identifying / chosing the correct torque washers is the hardest part of fitting the Alfine ! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
intothefold1985

Post by intothefold1985 »

Very helpful. Thank you Simon.
intothefold1985

Post by intothefold1985 »

Thank you Sum. The link helps a lot.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

as a postscript to this topic, as well as some others on the subject of Shimano's 11 speed Alfine hub, here is a photo of the cassette joint in the recommended sixth indexing gear. The two marks that are supposed to be aligned in order to synch the cable with the gears are clearly a way apart, however this is the position that gives the best performance across all 11 gears... Hope the picture is some comfort to others who are struggling to adjust their Alfine hub gears correctly!
Attachments
IMG_1023.JPG
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I believe the later alfines (7001?) have a more accurate alignment mark.
I have an early one and it too works better when the yellow lines are just offset like Simon's.
I transplanted the Alfine into my Moulton Cone from my broken APB a couple of months ago when the crappy factory fit freehub gave up and died after about 4000 miles or so.
It was a straightforward swap and I've since added a TRP Spire disc brake.
Couple of points to note.

1. I originally used the Shimano 2 wheel tensioner as both bikes have vertical dropouts. It turned out to be a bit rubbish. I now have a single wheel tensioner from fleabay and it is much better.

2. If you make the switch and use a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter then you will need the special alfine 11 shim. They're not expensive but you may need to hunt one down.

Gary