Bottom Bracket question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CreamyB

Bottom Bracket question

Post by CreamyB »

I have bought a second hand Voodoo Wazoo , enjoy it immensely, but it was in pretty bad shape when I got it. I have replaced the chain , front chainrings and cassette, Indexed gears ect , but recently I've noticed play on the front crank ( sometimes causes a skiping of the chain ) so I have removed the cranks to expose the bottom bracket to see if I could ' tighten stuff up ' or if need be replace it.
I have the correct tools yet I can't make it budge. The casing is looking a bit out of shape ( slightly oval )
I'm thinking heat maybe and a scaffy bar ?
But I got to thinking is this maybe a thankless task and I just need to upgrade the bike?
I have grown very fond of it but at the end of the day it's a 200 quid bike.
I've been riding pretty aggressive stuff on it ( danny harts desent Park) and I have crashed it a couple times recently so that could be where the play has came from ? Is it possible to ' refurb ' the existing BB or is it replaceable or is the frame now caput?
Sorry for rambling on a bit haha , just thought I'd throw it out there see if anyone has had similar issues or anyone have any input ?
Thanks
Liam
hamster

Re: Bottom Bracket question

Post by hamster »

Have a look on the Park Tools website as there are numerous different bottom bracket types these days.

And remember that the cups on the right hand side for most bottom brackets have a left hand thread.
CreamyB

Post by CreamyB »

hamster wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 1:53pm Have a look on the Park Tools website as there are numerous different bottom bracket types these days.

And remember that the cups on the right hand side for most bottom brackets have a left hand thread.
Yeah I've used park tool tutorials for most of the work I've done on the bike. Just I can't get the bottom bracket to budge , the casing is slightly oval I've had no luck at all loosening it the slightest ! I want to keep the bike and enjoy working on it but without resorting to drastic action I really don't know what to do.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

So what sort of BB is it then? If you can't name it having seen the tutorials then try and upload a photo or 2. Speaking of which, a picture of the ovalisation that you can see would also be a good idea.

Although the crashes may have caused some damage, it is more likely to be to the chainrings than the BB. Is there loose play when you wobble the cranks?
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

TheBomber wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 2:41pm So what sort of BB is it then? If you can't name it having seen the tutorials then try and upload a photo or 2. Speaking of which, a picture of the ovalisation that you can see would also be a good idea.

Although the crashes may have caused some damage, it is more likely to be to the chainrings than the BB. Is there loose play when you wobble the cranks?
I had a look at the Halfords website and it's currently specced for a 36-22 Altus chainset..which is square taper. As hinted at above a previous owner may have tried to undo the drivelside BB anticlockwise (o.e. the wrong way)..thus making it really tight. Maybe start with the non-driveside since its less likely to have been abused.

I had a look at CreamyBs bikepark as well!! No wonder the BB is worn!@
Screenshot_20221205-163015_Firefox.jpg
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

So a regular Shimano (or Shimano style) cartridge BB - which is removed with the multi splined tool and either it’s built in handle, a shift spanner or a socket depending on design. Plenty of previous posts on here regarding moving ones that are stuck. The BB is not adjustable but they are relatively cheap and thus your bike is not toast if that’s the only problem - but the ovalisation you refer to is a concern if that means the frame is damaged.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

CreamyB wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 2:07pm
hamster wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 1:53pm Have a look on the Park Tools website as there are numerous different bottom bracket types these days.

Yeah I've used park tool tutorials for most of the work I've done on the bike. Just I can't get the bottom bracket to budge , the casing is slightly oval I've had no luck at all loosening it the slightest ! I want to keep the bike and enjoy working on it but without resorting to drastic action I really don't know what to do.
If you have access to a well mounted bench vice that's your best bet I'd say. Bolt the tool into the the cup with a crank bolt, clamp tool in the vice and try to turn the frame (making sure you turn the correct way, of course - drive side is reverse thread). If try the non-drive side first. If the BB shell is ovalised the frame might be toast, though.
CreamyB

Post by CreamyB »

Yeah I think the frame is nackered , shame though , I really enjoy working on It , I'll have to start looking for a nee bike. Thanks for your input
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I had a square taper cartridge bracket fail on me a couple of years ago.
Even the local cycle shop gave up on it.

It was very tight to remove and needed the remover tool bolting on with some large washers and the crank bolt, then a long tube on the end of a large spanner and it eventually gave way.
Turned out that it wasn't corroded to the frame threads, but the cartridge and removable cup had seized together. When it shifted it basically ripped the cartridge shell apart. the frame itself was and still is fine.
A big vice would help too as you could use the frame as the lever