IOM ferries

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
eileithyia

IOM ferries

Post by eileithyia »

Seen elsewhere today from someone who lives on the island, from Feb 1st the steam packet company is going to be charging £20 a return trip for cycles.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tiberius

Re: IOM ferries

Post by Tiberius »

Just yesterday, I was talking to a mate who said that he had been over to the IoM for the Classic TT in August. He and a mate had a room in a hotel on the Douglas prom' that had cost approx' £800 for a week.

They asked if they could book for 2023? 'Certainly Sir, that will be £1,200' !!!

In 2014 I took a Brompton over as hand luggage.

In June 2016, TT race week. I had a room in a hotel on Douglas prom' - £200 for five nights.

I was there for the TT in 2019 and loved it. I thought 'see you next year' WRONG !!. The IoM was essentially shut for covid and I guess that that situation has now to be paid for.

Good luck to the IoM, I probably won't see you again.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Is this a price rise or a new charge.

If new, it's more surprising that they haven't been charging before.

Can't remember how £20 compares to others eg cross Channel.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

simonhill wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 8:49am Is this a price rise or a new charge.

Bikes were free when booked on as foot passengers when I went last year from Belfast to IOM.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Traction_man wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 2:45pm
simonhill wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 8:49am Is this a price rise or a new charge.

Bikes were free when booked on as foot passengers when I went last year from Belfast to IOM.
Same this year 2022 -- bikes free with foot passengers but just got the email the other day "confirming" my booking for 2023 TT my bother and I as foot passengers with a note that this is indeed a new charge for bikes and a reminder to amend my foot passenger booking if taking it.

Of course this booking was from me paying a non refundable deposit as soon as the reserve bookings became available ie at this years TT only instead of the usual £10 or £12 each it was £40 Each !

£133.50 for a foot passenger plus £10 for bike each way so that's £153.50 up from £115 bike goes free for 2022's TT. Up over 33% in one year.

Prices for Belfast return
Paid deposit cos we don't get the number of sailings the mainland gets and you'll find the ferry usually booked up if you wait till the official bookings are released in October.

Now we know why they're called Steam-racket
I am here. Where are you?
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

ah, I took the 'foot loose' foot passenger offer from Belfast, which was less than £40 return I think, bike included.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Traction_man wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 4:39pm ah, I took the 'foot loose' foot passenger offer from Belfast, which was less than £40 return I think, bike included.
Not TT week -- I've done that myself a few times at other times of year from when it was £34 return
in4time

Post by in4time »

They're building a very flash terminal in Liverpool. Assume prices and perhaps a winter schedule might be helping to pay for it. Its also a monopoly, I believe.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

in4time wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 9:27pm They're building a very flash terminal in Liverpool. Assume prices and perhaps a winter schedule might be helping to pay for it. Its also a monopoly, I believe.
Don't forget the new boat "Manxman"
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Its a pity the Belfast side has so few crossings, due to sharing boats with other routes, as otherwise it could have allowed a 2 hop Belfast to Heysham or vice versa:

I miss the Heysham seacat, but I don't think fast ferries will return, and I presume a slowboat service Belfast to Heysham can't economically support foot passengers (possibly with bicycles), or even private motorists...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I see the Manannan does make a few trips from Heysham
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

But not direct Belfast<-->Heysham like the Seacat of old?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 7:31pm But not direct Belfast<-->Heysham like the Seacat of old?
Sorry meant to IOM