Cycle lights blinding oncoming drivers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
SA_SA_SA

Re: Cycle lights blinding oncoming drivers

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Yes, Bmblbzzz is right, I was referencing the post he mentioned:

a forum glitch?
I've corrected my original post.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 12:15pm Yes, Bmblbzzz is right, I was referencing the post he mentioned:

a forum glitch?
I've corrected my original post.
In that case then refer to my post you were intending to reply to --

in it you'll find the words
( think it was a classic Honda VFR 750 with two separate round lights or similar )

Actually I meant RVF 750 ( all the right letters but not necessary in the right order -- nod to Eric Morecambe there ) although the VFR has two separate square lights the RVF had more space between them and I've seen them many times at night ( been to plenty of classic meets ) -- the two lights are clearly visible especially dipped and since it was at a roundabout where you'd be meeting other vehicles.

I am here. Where are you?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There was a big trend for two separate headlights in the 90s. The GSX-R was another one. And yes, this danger was commented on way back then. Not sure what, if any, current legislation relates to this though.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Thanks, its interesting that two powerful lamps so close together can still be perceived as separate.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This...
Yeurrck! Ugleeeeeeee!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 6:17pm This...
Yeurrck! Ugleeeeeeee!

That's just a car with two wheels missing.
I am here. Where are you?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 5:16pm this danger was commented on way back then.
I recall reading this 30 odd years ago in John Franklin's Cyclecraft where he wrote about the importance of perspicuity - i.e being perceived to be what you are, in that case a pedal cycle close by rather than a motor a distance away.
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 10:09am
I recall reading this 30 odd years ago in John Franklin's Cyclecraft where he wrote about the importance of perspicuity - i.e being perceived to be what you are, in that case a pedal cycle close by rather than a motor a distance away.
Yet another thing that Franklin got stone dead wrong. The best thing is to be perceived as a motor bike close by. Motorists don't mess with those because they can dent their precious. Cyclists can be ignored because blood wipes off and they don't pay road tax so have no right to be on the road(!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mjr wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 11:55am
tatanab wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 10:09am
The best thing is to be perceived as a motor bike close by. Motorists don't mess with those because they can dent their precious.
Yeah, they do. When I was a member of the motorcycle action group the statics showed that over two thirds of collisions between motor vehicles and powered two-wheelers were thought to be caused by the driver of the car/ van/ bus /coach /tractor.
Even though I don't ride a motorcycle anymore, from my time as a motorist and push bike rider, anecdotally I'm still wittnessing vans pulling onto roundabouts in front of motorcyclists even though it's the motorcycles right of way, causing them to brake and slow down.

Way back in the early 80's a school friend lost his sister - she'd been a pillion passenger on her boyfriend's motorcycle when a car turned out of a petrol station without assessing if it was clear to do so...

Much later a guy I used to occasionally ride with had his triumph chopper shorted by two feet when a car parked at the side of the road pulled out without warning and the front forks of his motorcycle went into the side of the car... (the triumph had 'springer forks' and all four fork tubes folded up, acting as a crumble zone) apparently the driver of the car got out and just started shouting at him... which considering my friend wasn't a small guy, was a bit silly.. anyway my friend got off with a verbal warning from the police after he broke the driver's nose..

Cars hate cyclists, but they also hate motorcyclists and horse riders and other cars..
And saying something like 'but I didn't see them shoulders treated as an excuse but as an admission of guilt'
It's time to go :-)
mjr

Post by mjr »

OK, I should have said fewer of them mess with motorcyclists than cyclists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I've just sold my last motorbike after 40 years if riding. I'd say that there is a significant difference in how cyclists and motorcyclists are perceived by car drivers.

Motorbikes have a generally larger 'presence' which helps them be seen. They are also usually travelling in a more central position in the carriageway. There's a small (possibly tiny) amount of drivers who consider motorcyclists as more legitimate road users (tax & insurance etc) and will respect them more for goodness sake.
I don't know how much speed or lighting comes into play - they are both a blessing and a curse, and both can be misused by the motorcyclist (inappropriate speed, and riding on high beam constantly).

Nothing helps either type of rider if the driver isn't looking, or doesn't care.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cowsham wrote: 10 Nov 2022, 12:14pm Riding slightly downhill towards town on a dark country road I saw a car coming up out of town - lights dipped --

I had my cateye 200 xc headlamp pointing straight down the road in front of me. It must have been blinding the driver as the headlights went to full beam.

I waited a few seconds to see if they'd put it on dip but they didn't - it was blinding me a bit. I lowered my headlamp by pushing it down a bit and the driver dipped the car lights again.

Wonder if this has been anyone else's experience.?
Yes, many times when driving or cycling I've been blinded by cycle lights, even in the day. Particularly annoying - maybe thats not a strong ebough word - when the cyclist is on a footway coming towards me, and all I see is a bright white light approaching - which should be on my offside, but is to my nearside!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

When I've been out on a ride I've occasionally been dazzled by oncoming bike lights. The effects are even worse when the next bike has none at all and the genius pushing the pedals is in dark clothing.

I like to think that my own lights don't dazzle: fork crown mount and slanted to illuminate the road 5-10 metres ahead. Hard to gauge, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 8:43am ...
I like to think that my own lights don't dazzle: fork crown mount and slanted to illuminate the road 5-10 metres ahead. Hard to gauge, though.
Our main headlamps are similar to that.

I'd encourage people riding bikes to add that check for not dazzling as part of the routine for installation and adjustment. The easiest way is asking someone else to be the pedestrian while you ride towards them.

Jonathan
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

In the case of dynamo powered led lights blinding other people I do wonder if mounting them to the crown of the forks is the best place? Certainly it is the most convenient place, but perhaps not the most effective place.

When I began cycling in the mid 1990's I mounted my headlamps close to the handlebar stem. Admittedly they were alot less powerful than the lights we had now, but as I had mounted them at a higher position, the lights had to be angled more towards the ground. Whereas with a light mounted to the fork crown the light then had to be adjusted so that it shines more towards the horizon.
It's time to go :-)