Good trousers.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattheus

Re: Good trousers.

Post by mattheus »

Enigmadick wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 5:08pm For trousers that are purpose designed for cycling, I'd recommend Swrve which are wonderfully comfortable, very smart and ridiculously hard-wearing. Only stocked by stores like Condor, but the mail order service from their UK distributor is first class.

https://www.swrve.co.uk
Thanks. Reading their blurb, looks like they don't have bike-specific reinforcement, is that right?
Might give them a go, nevertheless. (Also, Newtown is a nice place to visit, might try sneaking in to try stuff on ... :P )
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:04am It's early days yet but I'm loving my decathlon water repellant walking trousers.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-war ... 19&c=GREEN
Got mine in grey (VERY dark grey) and had to shorten them. This meant losing the elasticated ends but I hate those things anyway. They've a lovely fleecy lining for cooler temps and a built in belt. It never stays tight but mine are a nice fit anyway. I've not been able to test the water repellant claims yet but I doubt it's brilliant. Very comfy indeed.
good tip vantage, will check out - am a great fan of Decathlon and also exploring their non cycling sections for cycling and cyclecamping stuff - hunting, boating, trekking, even golf.

But fleecy inners? Have the idea that smartish trousers on a bike are for biking to venues/events where you don't want to look too lycra. Won't you overheat when you hop off the bike for the embassy cocktail party/pub saloon bar?

PS - what's the "integrated belt"? - does that just mean that they come with a belt?
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Nay lad. I wear them around the house and they're perfectly fine. Probably about the same warmth as say a pair of long John's.
The belt thing is a bit odd and frankly, a backwards step imo. It's sewn in. On one hand, you'll not lose it. On the other, if the buckle snaps (it's plastic) yer screwed.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 3:33pm
The belt thing is a bit odd and frankly, a backwards step imo. It's sewn in. On one hand, you'll not lose it. On the other, if the buckle snaps (it's plastic) yer screwed.
Confirms my wariness of the dread word "integrated" - generally prefer the modular approach to things, especially holding pants up.
No belt loops at all for those favouring the, er, belt and braces fallback?
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Not really sweep. There's 4 across the front of the troopers but none on the back.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

swrve [sic] every time. Good range of weights, materals and colours. go to swrve.co.uk
Not cheap but mine last for years worn nearly everyday. They also do shorts and 3/4 length
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I recently saw an advert for a company called Spoke, who produce a range of cycling chinos.

https://spoke-london.com/products/bulle ... bS4APhZz7W

They aren’t cheap though, around £130 a pair!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

I use Ron Hill trackster bottoms over bog standard lycra shorts for winter riding down to around 6 or 7deg.cent.Not clingy ,not expensive ,look ok.