Greyfriars' Bobby movie NOT DISNEY!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Audax67

Re: Greyfriars' Bobby movie NOT DISNEY!

Post by Audax67 »

Pebble wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 12:27am I was past there this evening so I snapped a picture of the rubbie nose do for you, it didn't seem the cairn what film you are on a boot

Does the bar still sell Oranjeboom?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We don't have a DVD player as such, but a portable Mac superdrive that plugs into our MacBooks USB.
I record the DVD using MakeMKV.
https://www.makemkv.com

Then, convert the file into Mp4 format using Handbrake.
https://handbrake.fr

I then transfer it onto a big-capacity portable solid state memory. We have loadsa movies and programmes on it. This then plugs into the back of our Smart TV.

At this moment, I'm copying the Disney Greyfriars' Bobby. When complete, the DVD will be given away to a charity shop, or put in the local telephone box where people put DVDs and CDs and books etc where the locals can take away what they wish.

Mrs Mick F doesn't want to watch this movie, and as she's going out to rehearsals for the local panto this evening, I'll have a go at it. I can always press Stop and delete the thing. It's possible that it was the one me and Mum went to see ........... but I doubt it very much.

I'll keep you all informed. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's copied and now being converted to Mp4.
I can see some stills from the movie as it's being converted, and I can state quite categorically, that it is NOT the movie me and Mum went to see in Wigan.

I may have been only 10 or 11, but I remember quite well.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well ........................

I watched the first ten minutes, then skipped to halfway through, then maybe threequarters through.

Can I use the word "crap"? :oops:
Gordon Jackson sounded Scottish, but the young girl and a couple of other characters sounded pseudo-Scottish in the extreme.

The thing seemed VERY Disney and yuk.
Awful, and NOTHING like the movie me and Mum watched.

I have deleted the Mp4 file.
The DVD itself was deposited this afternoon into the Gunnislake village telephone box. Good riddance, and I hope someone enjoys it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... literature
Wiki wrote:Greyfriars Bobby, a Skye Terrier in Edinburgh, Scotland, was loyal to his master long after his master's death in 1858. Until Bobby's death 14 years later, he reportedly spent every night at his master's grave.[40] A statue in memorial of Greyfriars Bobby was erected near the graveyard. Several films have been made dramatising the life of Greyfriars Bobby, and in folklore he is popularly remembered throughout Scotland as a symbol of loyalty.
Several films???????
All I can find are two: 1961 Disney, and a 2006 one called The Adventures of Greyfriars Bobby.
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I remember seeing 101 Dalmatians at the flicks in the 1960's and being quite surprised it was in colour, there was no need surely :? .
Apparently Disney didnae do it for me then, as Disney disnae do it for you now Mick .
You've got me thinking I've seen a black & white Greyfriars Bobby film, but it might be one of those implanted false memories, I think I've read the book, that was in black & white I think. Anyone got the t shirt ?
I see Walt made also another 'Scots movie' of Robert Louis Stevenson's excellent yarn, 'Kidnapped' the year before Greyfriars Bobby, I wonder if by any chance he'd spent his vacations in Scotland towards the end of the fifties ?
Nu-Fogey